Budget battle - TSA fees may increase

Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Some perspective. Looks like they're doubling TSA fees to make up for the sequester or whatever.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ticket-prices/

It's not technically a tax because its a fee, right? Aren't $9 beers enough of a tax?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by tkey75
That's not gonna happen for the same reason you do not pay your income taxes via a monthly bill from the IRS. There'd be riots in the streets.
They do it in NOC and the sky hasn't fallen in.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by maneckezaog
Mileage runs will be much more cost prohibitive.
As noted above, an additional $6.20 on a RT airfare is hardly prohibitive. And a good MR, with multiple segments, is up $1.20. If $1.20 is cost prohibitive, you shouldn't be doing MRs.

It's one fee, not "airline fees" - unless i missed a fee increase other than the "9/11 Security Fee".

And a RT with one stop each way is up from $10 to the new cap of $11.20, a 12% increase, not a 124% increase. Taking one specific scenario (singe RT with two non-stop legs) for one fee, and claiming that "airline fees" are going up that maximum amount is quite misleading, IMHO.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:38 am
Suspended

Semantics or not, air travel has been an easy target as cash cow for Congress. Also note that the security fee increase has nothing to do with an increase in the cost of providing "security" but everything to plug holes in someones else's budget.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by welookgood.com
Mileage runs will be much more cost prohibitive.
On many of my tickets the various "fees" can run more than the actual fare in some cases MUCH more. The only thing that's going up is one specific fee!

Also, I fail to see how adding $5.60 makes anything "much more cost prohibitive" that's about the price of a cup of coffee at the airport.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 12, 2013 at 11:11 pm Reason: irrelevant remarks following thread merge
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:42 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This thread is in acute need of a thread title change (soon to be given) and a new home in the apt Travel Security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by milepig
Also, I fail to see how adding $5.60 makes anything "much more cost prohibitive" that's about the price of a cup of coffee at the airport.
It is not much, but I disagree with your argument.

The "it is only $xxx!" statement is disingenuous as many "only's" add to one big "a lot".
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by milepig
At least for the price of a cup of coffee, you get a cup of coffee - assuming you wanted a cup of coffee in the first place.

Adding the $5.60 to the "security fee" gains the traveler nothing they wanted, and much they didn't. It's a complete waste.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by Caradoc
At least for the price of a cup of coffee, you get a cup of coffee - assuming you wanted a cup of coffee in the first place.

Adding the $5.60 to the "security fee" gains the traveler nothing they wanted, and much they didn't. It's a complete waste.
Excellent point. Here's a breakdown of my upcoming trip:

I don't even know what all the fees are for, but as you can, they almost add up to half the ticket cost! Each one of the fees are quite small (and one big one), so everyone here who thinks the extra fee for security is okay, shouldn't mind all the small fees piling up.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Fixed the link)

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
Excellent point. Here's a breakdown of my upcoming trip:

I don't even know what all the fees are for, but as you can, they almost add up to half the ticket cost! Each one of the fees are quite small (and one big one), so everyone here who thinks the extra fee for security is okay, shouldn't mind all the small fees piling up.
The YR 397.20 "fee" is a fuel surcharge. (Some airlines think the price of a plane ticket doesn't include the cost of the fuel to fly the plane.)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nerd
The YR 397.20 "fee" is a fuel surcharge. (Some airlines think the price of a plane ticket doesn't include the cost of the fuel to fly the plane.)
Thanks for the information. You're absolutely right.

I don't suppose you could break down the rest of the fees?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: US PP
My google-fu should help.

AY - aviation security surcharge
Used for airport screening, sky marshalls, security training
$2.50 each flight leg, $10 limit per round trip

CJ - Amsterdam International Airport (AMS) Security Service Fee for Transit Passengers
€7.25 each way, €14.50 round trip

RN - Netherlands Passenger Service Charge for Transit Passenger
€6.33 each way, €12.66 round trip

US - domestic passenger ticket tax
Used for US aviation trust fund (FAA)
7.5% before taxes

XA - U.S. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Fee
Applies to all flights originating abroad and landing in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands
$5.00

XF - passenger facility charge
Used for airport improvement projects
$4.50 per takeoff, $18 limit per round trip

XY - U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Fee
Applies to international arrivals to the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands
$7.00

YC - U.S. Customs User Fee
Applies to international arrivals to the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands
$5.50

YR - Carrier-Imposed Surcharges
Carrier-imposed surcharges stated separately from the base fare on some international itineraries

ZO - Denmark and Greenland: Passenger Service Charge
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tank089
My google-fu should help.
You, sir, are a google-fu guru.

Them's a lot of fees!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
They do it in NOC and the sky hasn't fallen in.
And the UK (as previously mentioned)
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Well, if the vote in the Senate goes like it did the House today get ready for more TSA waste.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.