Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Don't have a different surname from your children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

"I was at JFK airport in the USA with my family.

"The immigration officer looked at my mum’s passport, then my sister's.

"He looked up and said: You have different surnames, where's the father?'

"My mum said that he was in England. He then asked for proof that my mum wasn’t abducting us.

"I was shocked. My mum showed him her divorce papers, our birth certificates, her previous passport with our surname and her proof of marriage.

"He wasn't interested and said that if we were entering the USA we would need a written letter from our dad giving permission for my mum to take us abroad.

"He even threatened to send us home.

"I was staggered. We were eventually allowed through, but it marred the start of our holiday and is something I will not forget."

Moral of the tale - if you are going to kidnap your children ensure the surname is the same as yours
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I have a different surname and different address from my children. My ex and I traveled frequently with them when they were younger (not together - traveled as single parent + children), and while we always wrote the required "i give permission for my children to travel" letter, neither of us was ever asked for it.

I assume I was never asked because while they have a different name and address, I am the mom, and my ex was never asked because they have his name and address.

You may just have had someone who was overly diligent or with something to prove.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC SE
This kid's petition is pointless. The different last names wasn't the problem. There are lots of married people with different last names...Traveling with only one parent was the problem.

When traveling internationally with only one parent present, you should always be ready to present documentation permitting travel from the other parent.

Mexico, for example, requires this of anyone under 18 travelling with only one parent.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know a couple who are legally married, but with different surnames and have 3 children. The son has the fathers surname. The 2 daughters have the mothers surname. Now than does result in questions
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fly-yul
This kid's petition is pointless. The different last names wasn't the problem. There are lots of married people with different last names...Traveling with only one parent was the problem.

When traveling internationally with only one parent present, you should always be ready to present documentation permitting travel from the other parent.

Mexico, for example, requires this of anyone under 18 travelling with only one parent.
Mexico, earlier this year at least, required no such letter.

http://headliner.openjaw.com/020513_...ter-of-consent

IME, most countries require no such letter.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Had an experience crossing from US to Canada by car with friends from the UK. Two parents, two kids, all with the same surname. They got the third degree from Canadian immigration.

I don't think it is the names, countries, etc. It is an overabundance of caution.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Aside from the fact that documentation can be denied on the grounds that it could be forged, reliance on documentation presumes that the travelers' documentation is in a language that the border officials can read.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:35 am

I carry a copy of the court order giving me sole legal custody, but have never been asked for it. I think it all depends on the mood of the border guard.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
My divorced parents had joint custody of me growing up and always carried notarized permissions from the other when traveling with me between the US and Canada. Seems ridiculous, but even when I was 17 the CBSA read the letter carefully. International parental abduction is a very real concern.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
My divorced parents had joint custody of me growing up and always carried notarized permissions from the other when traveling with me between the US and Canada. Seems ridiculous, but even when I was 17 the CBSA read the letter carefully. International parental abduction is a very real concern.
That can work for english speaking countries. My x was swedish. In the 90... I travelled with our son I was/am a legal resident of USA. Could not even get a passport for the son unless he sigened. He did every time. Sometime there were problems. Not with us but with differnt governments.
My x did not spreak english nor do we have notary in Sweden. It got to the point that the dad got really irritated for the question he was asked not understanding them
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
This happened to my friends, Canadian citizens, when the mother was bringing them out of Canada to visit their father (working in HKG). I suppose from the border guard's POV there was nothing to back up their story, though she could easily have forged the letter that the dad eventually had to post back to Canada...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
This happened to my friends, Canadian citizens, when the mother was bringing them out of Canada to visit their father (working in HKG). I suppose from the border guard's POV there was nothing to back up their story, though she could easily have forged the letter that the dad eventually had to post back to Canada...
My wife went through this nonsense with her ex when getting my step sons passport. It reality it is a joke, because the border guard or CPB agent is not going to go and track down the other parent to verify the letter so what is really the point. Faking a notarized letter is not very hard. It is just an example of the government trying to act like they're doing something when it really is just a hassle for travelers. While I would like to think this sort of thing stops children being kidnapped, my guess is it is as affective as the TSO "state your name" BS or the billion dollar BDOs.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
International parental abduction is a very real concern.
If there's *any* indication, maybe. Otherwise you're into "less chance than a car accident" territory which means it isn't "an abundance of caution" it's just rabid paranoia.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:12 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Many countries require a letter from the parent who is not present (or other documentation such as proof of sole custody) if a child is traveling with only one parent.

Whether the officers actually check or not is a different matter, but the rule is on the books.

It has nothing to do with last name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.