Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

The Star: Canadian Paraplegic denied entry to US because she'd been depressed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

The War on Dignity, Thanksgiving day update:

The Star:
Disabled woman denied entry to U.S. after agent cites supposedly private medical details -
A Toronto woman is shocked after she was denied entry into the U.S. because she had been hospitalized for clinical depression

Published on Thu Nov 28 2013

A short quote:
Ellen Richardson went to Pearson airport on Monday full of joy about flying to New York City and from there going on a 10-day Caribbean cruise for which she’d paid about $6,000.

But a U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent with the Department of Homeland Security killed that dream when he denied her entry.

“I was turned away, I was told, because I had a hospitalization in the summer of 2012 for clinical depression,’’ said Richardson, who is a paraplegic and set up her cruise in collaboration with a March of Dimes group of about 12 others.
The above is not an isolated incident; an earlier CBC article:

CBC News:
Canadians with mental illnesses denied U.S. entry -
Data entered into national police database accessible to American authorities: WikiLeaks

Posted:Sep 09, 2011 5:10 AM ET
Last Updated:Sep 09, 2011 4:21 PM ET

More than a dozen Canadians have told the Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office in Toronto within the past year that they were blocked from entering the United States after their records of mental illness were shared with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Lois Kamenitz, 65, of Toronto contacted the office last fall, after U.S. customs officials at Pearson International Airport prevented her from boarding a flight to Los Angeles on the basis of her suicide attempt four years earlier.

Kamenitz says she was stopped at customs after showing her passport and asked to go to a secondary screening. There, a Customs and Border Protection officer told Kamenitz that he had information that police had attended her home in 2006.
and

Kamenitz was eventually allowed to board a plane to Los Angeles, four days after missing her initial flight. But in order to do so, she had to submit her medical records to the U.S. and get clearance from a Homeland Security-approved doctor in Toronto, who charged her $250 for the service.

Benson says the response from the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officers in Kamenitz's case was fairly typical. "Now that the note from her doctor is on her records," he says, "I wouldn't expect her to have any more problems."

Included in the Homeland Security forms Kamenitz was required to fill out were questions about whether she had a history of substance abuse and whether she had diseases, such as AIDS or tuberculosis.

"These are private and personal medical records that I’m now handing over to a foreign government," she says.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Or, Blues? No Cruise
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
From The CBC News article"

Brad Benson from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security says medical records aren't shared between countries. However, "if you have an arrest record, Canada would share that with us," he says.

If a police encounter includes information about mental health, Benson says front-line officers can use it.

"Mental illness is actually under our law as a reason that you may not get admitted," he says. "The issue is always going to be: could someone be a danger to someone [else]?"
Having a diagnosed mental health problem is a far different situation than having a possible mental health issue in a police report. The fact that DHS seems to equate the two is another on my list of disturbing things about DHS.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Words can't describe how this makes me feel. The old British expression of Gobsmacked comes to mind.

I do not and have never been diagnosed with a mental illness but can't imagine the invasion of privacy that comes from such an event. Does this now mean that we cannot visit Disney World with our grandchildren and daughter because she had some MH concerns in her teens?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
deleted

Last edited by Fizzer; Nov 29, 2013 at 11:59 am
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: FT
i find it disconcerting that they have medical information.

i suspect that the attempted suicide was fed by local police into CPIC and that is how they US authorities obtained it...what i find odd, is that suicide in canada is not illegal so not sure why the canadian authorities would be putting this infomration in CPIC.

i found this article.

http://www.mentalhealthpolicerecords.ca/crossborder
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
From The CBC News article"

Having a diagnosed mental health problem is a far different situation than having a possible mental health issue in a police report. The fact that DHS seems to equate the two is another on my list of disturbing things about DHS.
funny, perhaps we should ask people in the US if they hold/own guns on the assumption that only crazy people would do that and perhaps deny them entry to canada.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Maybe they got this "confidential" medical information from the book about it that this woman is selling: http://ellenrichardson.ca/index.html.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Maybe they got this "confidential" medical information from the book about it that this woman is selling: http://ellenrichardson.ca/index.html.
The mental health incident specifically cited by CBP as grounds for her inadmissibility took place in 2012. Her book was written in 2009. I doubt she wrote about her 2012 incident in 2009.

The information came from CPIC.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by mkjr
funny, perhaps we should ask people in the US if they hold/own guns on the assumption that only crazy people would do that and perhaps deny them entry to canada.
I know several Americans with concealed carry permits who when attempting a land crossing into Canada are often asked if they are permit holders and whether they have a firearm in their vehicle.

Note to Americans, information sharing goes both ways. Don't lie if you hold CCW and do NOT attempt to bring a handgun into Canada. If one is discovered in your vehicle during a search you will go to jail.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Ari
The mental health incident specifically cited by CBP as grounds for her inadmissibility took place in 2012. Her book was written in 2009. I doubt she wrote about her 2012 incident in 2009.

The information came from CPIC.
Sorry, I stand corrected.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:51 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
This is a disgrace.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
This is a disgrace.
+1
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Quick question. Did she fly into the USA or was she denied boarding in Canada?

Not that it matters, just curious. I thought Customs, etc. was done in Canada, so flights become like a USA domestic flt.

Her travel insurance company takes the cake.

Again, I did not see in the article. Did this happen in the USA or Canada?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
Quick question. Did she fly into the USA or was she denied boarding in Canada?

Not that it matters, just curious. I thought Customs, etc. was done in Canada, so flights become like a USA domestic flt.

Her travel insurance company takes the cake.

Again, I did not see in the article. Did this happen in the USA or Canada?
Doesn't matter. Staffed by the same folks in either case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.