Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

The Star: Canadian Paraplegic denied entry to US because she'd been depressed

The Star: Canadian Paraplegic denied entry to US because she'd been depressed

Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
More importantly, HIPA doesn't apply because US laws don't apply outside the US. Shocking news to some of you, I know...
Canada has its own version, which is very similar. My only point was, many folks seem to have the odd idea that privacy laws covering health information mean that no one can ask anything about another's medical condition or health history. That's just bunkum. Privacy laws apply to the custodian of the health information - in both countries.

DHS can ask for medical information and then it's up to the individual whether to provide it. If the individual chooses not to provide the medical information, then that individual is denied entry. As noted elsewhere, there are lots of good reasons that every government applies some sort of medical standard to non-citizens crossing its borders.

~~ Irish
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Additional facts are now being published;
In respect to the 2012 suicide attempt, her mother called 911 and the subject was transported taken to hospital by public health services ambulance. The subject had also written a suicide letter which, she says, her mother gave to the police.
And there it is. If police were involved in 2012 as well, there's no need for a secret health-care-information-collecting system. Just the police records, which everybody (hopefully) already knows are available.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
Canada has its own version, which is very similar.
Then talk about the Canadian laws applying to the Canadian in, apparently, Canada. Talking about HIPPA as if it were relevant to the situation is simply bizarre and smacks of ethnocentrism.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Then talk about the Canadian laws applying to the Canadian in, apparently, Canada. Talking about HIPPA as if it were relevant to the situation is simply bizarre and smacks of ethnocentrism.
Had I brought up HIPAA, I'd agree with you. However, I didn't raise the subject I merely responded to it.

~~ Irish
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:02 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Additional facts are now being published; In respect to the 2012 suicide attempt, her mother called 911 and the subject was transported taken to hospital by public health services ambulance. The subject had also written a suicide letter which, she says, her mother gave to the police.
I think I'd call her a patient-- she is human after all. "Subject" is what LE call a person until they can be called a "suspect". Are you in LE by chance?

At this time, the only version of events is hers where she claims that the agent made reference to her 2012 event.
To the extent this statement suggests that we should doubt the woman's story, the suggestion is misplaced. She has documents from CBP that specify the reason for her refusal of admission . The documents contain the numbers "2012" but not the numbers "2001" nor "2008".
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:11 pm
Suspended

At least she wasn't forced into a C-section and her child put up for adoption, as the UK has reportedly done to an Italian woman:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...n-baby-2874124
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Fuzzytoo
Where are her medical records stored? Most super-large hospitals use off-site storage for electronic records, i.e. "the cloud." If that cloud happens to be controlled by some company like CGI, or another U.S. based company, then it seems obvious to me that THE government can get access whenever they want, by the simple expedient of declaring ALL information to be related somehow to "national security."
What makes you think CGI is an American company?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGI_Group
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
On a radio interview last night the Ontario Privacy Commissioner said:
1. There was no way this information came from health records.
2. It likely came from police records being entered into the RCMP maintained Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC ) after reports from local forces at the time of the 911 call. CPIC is shared cross border.
3. That the default entering of this type of information into CPIC is unacceptable, although in rare circumstances it would be justifiable. (eg. the mentally ill person threatened others with a weapon etc. )
4. That she will be working with the Federal Privacy Commissioner to ensure that this type of health information is no longer routinely entered into CPIC and therefore available to CBP.

It seems that the Canadian LE agencies are the ones who will have to justify their practices.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
She should have flown from Canada to Mexico, then just walked across the USA-Mexico border through holes in the fence like hundreds of others do every day!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fizzer
On a radio interview last night the Ontario Privacy Commissioner said:
1. There was no way this information came from health records.
2. It likely came from police records being entered into the RCMP maintained Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC ) after reports from local forces at the time of the 911 call. CPIC is shared cross border.
3. That the default entering of this type of information into CPIC is unacceptable, although in rare circumstances it would be justifiable. (eg. the mentally ill person threatened others with a weapon etc. )
4. That she will be working with the Federal Privacy Commissioner to ensure that this type of health information is no longer routinely entered into CPIC and therefore available to CBP.

It seems that the Canadian LE agencies are the ones who will have to justify their practices.
I wish we had a Federal Privacy Commissioner...
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I wish we had a Federal Privacy Commissioner...
We have plenty of privacy-related positions. Unfortunately, their job is to justify and minimize invasions of our privacy. (Just read a PIA).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.