Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Man Makes Improvised Shotgun; Crossbow; & Mace w/Items Available After TSA Checkpoint

Man Makes Improvised Shotgun; Crossbow; & Mace w/Items Available After TSA Checkpoint

Old Nov 25, 13, 1:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: CLT
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,518
Man Makes Improvised Shotgun; Crossbow; & Mace w/Items Available After TSA Checkpoint

The same guy who posted on youtube his axe-deoderant body spray frag grenade made with items available after the TSA Security checkpoint showcases 3 new weapons. And gets an unannounced visit from the FBI. Is he a Patriot or a Villian?

Link:


But without the government, who will build the roads?
beofotch is offline  
Old Nov 25, 13, 6:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 4,168
He's neither patriot nor villain: He's an idiot.

His original intent was to prove that all the security is next to useless because clever people can improvise weapons from permitted objects and materials found inside the sterile area.

Now he's just having fun saying, "Look what I can make! I'm better than McGuyver!"
WillCAD is offline  
Old Nov 26, 13, 6:11 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DC area and San Francisco
Programs: SWA A-List, OnePass, AA, U-MP, more
Posts: 170
He's just a guy giving an entertaining talk.

His self-imposed restrictions remove his scenarios from reality. Limiting his supplies to things that can be bought air-side make the problem artificially constrained.
eastport is offline  
Old Nov 26, 13, 11:58 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Posts: 6,294
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
He's neither patriot nor villain: He's an idiot.

His original intent was to prove that all the security is next to useless because clever people can improvise weapons from permitted objects and materials found inside the sterile area.

Now he's just having fun saying, "Look what I can make! I'm better than McGuyver!"
How does that make him an idiot? Or do you just object to fun?
SeriouslyLost is offline  
Old Nov 27, 13, 9:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 4,168
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost View Post
How does that make him an idiot? Or do you just object to fun?
He's taken a legitimate message - that current screening methodologies have limited usefullness because weapons can be improvised anywhere, anytime, by almost anyone - and turned it into a childish game.

He's taking his examples to a ridiculous extreme that dilutes the effectiveness of the message.

And he's virtually ignored some of the more serious weapons that can be improvised - or simply found - amongst items that travelers commonly carry through security, such as laptop bludgeons, pen/pencil shivs, various types of cordage garrotes. Likewise, he's stuck strictly to items that can be purchased or picked up for free, while ignoring how ridiculously easy it would be to steal caustic and poisonous chemicals from the janitorial supplies, and sharp (or sharpenable) metal tableware from airside restaurants.

He's made a joke out of a rather serious issue, and is treating the entire thing more like a game than a serious discussion of potential security dangers.

And that's why he's an idiot.
WillCAD is offline  
Old Nov 27, 13, 8:42 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Posts: 6,294
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
He's taken a legitimate message - that current screening methodologies have limited usefullness because weapons can be improvised anywhere, anytime, by almost anyone - and turned it into a childish game. He's taking his examples to a ridiculous extreme that dilutes the effectiveness of the message. And he's virtually ignored some of the more serious weapons that can be improvised - or simply found - amongst items that travelers commonly carry through security, such as laptop bludgeons, pen/pencil shivs, various types of cordage garrotes. Likewise, he's stuck strictly to items that can be purchased or picked up for free, while ignoring how ridiculously easy it would be to steal caustic and poisonous chemicals from the janitorial supplies, and sharp (or sharpenable) metal tableware from airside restaurants. He's made a joke out of a rather serious issue, and is treating the entire thing more like a game than a serious discussion of potential security dangers. And that's why he's an idiot.
So he has a simple message (existing security is a farce) but because it's his website and he's doing what he wants with it and that doesn't happen to agree with your view, he's an idiot? Doesn't strike me that he's the idiot in all this.
SeriouslyLost is offline  
Old Nov 28, 13, 7:36 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At home in the PNW
Posts: 48,275
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
He's neither patriot nor villain: He's an idiot.

His original intent was to prove that all the security is next to useless because clever people can improvise weapons from permitted objects and materials found inside the sterile area.

Now he's just having fun saying, "Look what I can make! I'm better than McGuyver!"
I think he's pretty ingenious. Not only has he produced working weapons airside, he's illustrated what a farce most TSA practices really are.

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post

He's made a joke out of a rather serious issue, and is treating the entire thing more like a game than a serious discussion of potential security dangers.

And that's why he's an idiot.
IOW, he's an idiot because you disagree with him. Got it.
halls120 is offline  
Old Nov 28, 13, 11:20 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 4,168
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
I think he's pretty ingenious. Not only has he produced working weapons airside, he's illustrated what a farce most TSA practices really are.



IOW, he's an idiot because you disagree with him. Got it.
Actually, I consider him an idiot because I agree completely with the message he's sending, but I think he's sending it in a manner which is guaranteed to never be taken seriously, change any minds, or provoke rational, serious thought; instead, it is guaranteed to provoke jokes, contempt for the message, scorn of the detractors, and maybe even anger from the stupids who think he's "showing The Bad Guys how to beat our security!" He's abandoned the substance of his message in favor of the wow-factor, and the message itself has been completely lost.

I also think that, at this point, he's lost sight of the message himself, and is not merely indulging his own whimsical penchant for creating Rube Goldberg machinery and egotistically showing it off on the internet.

That's why he's an idiot.
WillCAD is offline  
Old Nov 28, 13, 7:38 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At home in the PNW
Posts: 48,275
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Actually, I consider him an idiot because I agree completely with the message he's sending, but I think he's sending it in a manner which is guaranteed to never be taken seriously, change any minds, or provoke rational, serious thought; instead, it is guaranteed to provoke jokes, contempt for the message, scorn of the detractors, and maybe even anger from the stupids who think he's "showing The Bad Guys how to beat our security!" He's abandoned the substance of his message in favor of the wow-factor, and the message itself has been completely lost.

I also think that, at this point, he's lost sight of the message himself, and is not merely indulging his own whimsical penchant for creating Rube Goldberg machinery and egotistically showing it off on the internet.

That's why he's an idiot.
Right, he should send a letter to Congress and ask to be invited to speak about the technical flaws with TSA procedures. I'm sure that invitation will be issued immediately.

Part of the reason that TSA has so little respect among the public is because of the notoriety they get when they screw up and those screw-ups get widespread coverage. When Leno and Letterman use you as a target for abuse, you don't think that registers? Of course it does. You don't like his showmanship, fine, but I think it's very effective. If for no other reason, it makes it easy for me to beat up on my friends in DHS, who will all be getting copies of the clips tomorrow morning.
halls120 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 13, 9:50 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,878
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
He's neither patriot nor villain: He's an idiot.

His original intent was to prove that all the security is next to useless because clever people can improvise weapons from permitted objects and materials found inside the sterile area.

Now he's just having fun saying, "Look what I can make! I'm better than McGuyver!"
On the contrary. Continued ridicule of the TSA/DHS is exactly what's needed.
javabytes is online now  
Old Nov 30, 13, 10:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Posts: 4,168
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
On the contrary. Continued ridicule of the TSA/DHS is exactly what's needed.
I agree that continued ridicule of TSA and DHS is needed.

However, what this guy is doing is not ridiculing TSA or DHS, it's simply a narcissistic attempt to show people how clever he is. "Look at me! Look at me! I can make a bazooka out of a magazine and a Pringles can! I can make a hand grenade out of a can of body spray! I can make a nuclear weapon out of the tritium hands of thousands of glow in the dark watches! Aren't I just the CLEVEREST!"

He is performing exactly the same stupidity as TSA does - focusing on threats that are 1 in 7 billion, while ignoring the threats that are more like 1 in a million.

You don't need Axe body spray or Pringles cans or duct tape to improvise a weapon airside - all you need is a steak knife from the Green Turtle and to watch the local police; with that steak knife, you can obtain a firearm, a baton, pepper spray, and handcuffs, and probably a knife or multitool, in a minute or two. The hard part is timing and positioning so that the scene of your acquisition is not discovered until you're aboard your flight.

Or, get a job at Sbarro or McDonalds and bring in whatever you want.

But instead, this guy is touting Axe grenades and magazine shotguns as if they're a legitimate threat.

Hence, my original assessment: He's an idiot.
WillCAD is offline  
Old Nov 30, 13, 11:19 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 22,654
After watching the improvised shotgun video don't think I will volunteer myself to being the idiot to fire the thing.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Dec 2, 13, 8:13 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: FKB
Programs: Skymiles - FO
Posts: 207
It looks like the "official" voices of flyertalk are commenting on this issue as well. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/the-hub/mak...o-havana.html/

The Phrase "brave men and women" is used 3 times in 3 sentences when referring to the TSA. The author also goes out of his way to credit the TSA and it's felling people up for stopping the hijackings to Cuba that occurred in the 1960s and '70s. Naturally, critical responses to his essay are "moderated" i.e. not allowed.
RedSnapper is offline  
Old Dec 2, 13, 8:39 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,728
Originally Posted by RedSnapper View Post
The Phrase "brave men and women" is used 3 times in 3 sentences when referring to the TSA. The author also goes out of his way to credit the TSA and it's felling people up for stopping the hijackings to Cuba that occurred in the 1960s and '70s. Naturally, critical responses to his essay are "moderated" i.e. not allowed.
Looks like a primo candidate for a game show titled, "Satire, or Stupidity?"
Caradoc is offline  
Old Dec 2, 13, 8:43 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: TYO
Posts: 9,067
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
Hence, my original assessment: He's an idiot.
I think you're just jealous.
jib71 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread