Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Rolls Out "Detention Pods" at Airport Terminal Exits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Syracuse's airport is one of the first in the country to install new exit portals.

http://12160.info/video/video/show?i...sg_share_video

My question is, what about fires, or power outages?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:01 am

Er... this seems like contra-euphemism.
Why use the word "detention" when rapid exit is the goal?
Also, the word "pod" is associated most with prisons.
Some bad wordage here, methinks.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That's not what those are referred to at the other airports which are successfully using them.

They ahave emergency (alarmed) crash bars. No different than other exits to areas such as the ramp. Pax not supposed to use them, but easily opened in an emergency.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Those units looks like they'll be much slower since the pax have to enter and wait for the doors to close before the outer doors will open..

The units installed @ SEA, FRA, and other non-US airport are much faster and can allow pax to continuously exit, while preventing pax from entering from the outside..
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:24 am
Suspended

Lots of moving parts, easy to break, and very expensive compared to other "tried and trusted" one-way exit portals.

Makes you wonder if Chertoff is pushing these, too.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
What a pr design.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"If anyone tries to get in from the unsecured area, the door automatically locks." If that isn't ripe for a malfunction, I don't know what is. My plan, should that happen, is to kick the cr_p out of the door until it lets me out and sue the TSA afterwards. This is outrageous AND a safety hazard.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Stupidest things I have ever seen. The TSA is always all about slowing you down whether you're coming or going.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
A one way rotating revolving door with a motion sensor that would freeze the door if someone tried to enter from the outside sounds like a much much much more cost effective & logistical solution.

Hell the NYC subway system has this situation solved for decades. Not "pretty" but sure is effective.

Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a mess. They have these exact entrapment pods at the Mark Center (Rumsfeld's brainchild) near the Pentagon. The only thing that makes them tolerable is that there are multiple exit points. But, it can be a real pain if you are carrying a lot of stuff. Oh yeah -- if you're in a wheel chair or pushing a baggage cart, you can't fin inside.

This is not going to end well, except for the manufacturer who builds and installs the original pods and for the manufacturer who will modify or replace the original entrapment pods.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The subway grill is simpler, but doesn't work particularly well if you're pulling a rollaboard - and doesn't work at all with wheelchairs and strollers.

That said, the 'detention pods' look like another Chertoff over-engineered costly boondoggle that will likely be 'upgraded' at taxpayer expense within a decade.

Automatic override in case of emergency evacuation?

Aside from taxpayer-funded installation and maintenance contract costs, how much do these things add to airport electricity bills annually?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm Reason: removing all my recent TS/S content since any effort here seems to be unappreciated
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:44 pm

Another demeaning misapplication of technology from TSA...

Does the cost calculation ("saves money") include cost of delay for pax?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Those units looks like they'll be much slower since the pax have to enter and wait for the doors to close before the outer doors will open..

The units installed @ SEA, FRA, and other non-US airport are much faster and can allow pax to continuously exit, while preventing pax from entering from the outside..
I can't wait to see how the TSA rocket scientists intend to make them work at DCA and IAD. At DCA, they will have to install them at each pier, and when two or three flights land one after another, the line to get our at each pier will stretch back into the pier proper if the doors are as slow as in the video. At IAD there are two exits from the Aerotrain level, and I can see two full trains quickly causing a backup.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
Another demeaning misapplication of technology from TSA...
Demeaning, misapplied, expensive, and yet still more reliable, more efficient, and cheaper than TSA clerks sleeping in wheelchairs on the exit lanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.