Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What is the contribution of CSBA/Immigration Canada to the long-term tourism drop?

What is the contribution of CSBA/Immigration Canada to the long-term tourism drop?

Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"

Perhaps these guys reap what they sow....

http://www.eturbonews.com/39690/tour...0-percent-2000

The report doesn't actually identify whether or not CBSA's notoriety has contributed in any way to these numbers. We might say, of course not, because T&D were not commissioned by the Canadian government to investigate critically their own agency's actions...but anyway, bureaucracy in general is called out:

"The report recommends some government measures to improve tourism:

■Introduce structural reforms to the air travel sector to reduce high base fares.

■Reform the process for issuing visas to reduce wait times and uncertainty."
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 24, 2013 at 10:13 pm Reason: removing all my recent TS/S content since any effort here seems to be unappreciated
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
It wasn't my purpose to invite a comparison with the uncivilized and unquestionably problematic scrutinization of travelers by US CBP.

Certainly that process needs stronger oversight and more transparency and I speak up for that, too. It's not like I don't know about it firsthand. Over the past 20 years I've amassed substantial experience entering the US as a noncitizen and know first hand about the bowels of secondary at various airports. BOS used to be an experience to be dreaded in its offensiveness. HNL wasn't always aloha and sunny either.

As for the account posted, this to CBP

The events described in her account absolutely require investigation by third party audit. In particular, if the initial grounds for suspicion were the fact of prophylactic possession, and if the commentary by agents is correct, then it is actionable: "grounds for sexual assault" indeed!!

It is despicable when women - or men - are asked such questions by officials. It shows both prurience and an unprofessional streak, if not worse.

ACLU lawyers would like a case of this type. All of us could wish for and support such a case, to shine a light of transparency on activities supposedly conducted in the "national interest" - which is almost always a vile and abused concept that justifies fascist activities.

Edward Snowden acts more in the "national interest" than the fascist, unaccountable agencies charged with its supposed protection.

But anyway, if you read the threads about CBSA, you will find that visitors to Canada endure routine indignities of comparable magnitude, such as cellphone audits, random calls to contacts they find, searches of laptops, questions such as "Are you coming to Canada to have sex with a woman?" [as if that activity falls under customs purview for consenting adults!! Disgraceful that their asking such questions is permitted/condoned/excused - how that relates to potential terroristic activity is incalculable, surely the more sex people have, the less frustrated they are, the less of a problem they will be for anyone else....

The overreach of bureaucratic agencies and the unsupervised empowerment of wanna-be fascists absolutely must be held in check whether in the US or Canada. She's helping us out by not sweeping this experience under the carpet and I agree, it sounds like vile misconduct. Perhaps there were real grounds for suspicion but that's the job of an independent audit authority to ascertain.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm Reason: removing all my recent TS/S content since any effort here seems to be unappreciated

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.