Wiki Posts
Search

Danger at SEATAC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Danger at SEATAC

I think we can all agree that the vigilance of the TSA officers is the only thing protecting us from a repetition of the September 11 attacks. Therefore, I was gravely concerned when I saw TSA officers randomly searching bags at the gate. They would point to a passenger and ask him to bring his bag and then they would check it.

These were the SAME BAGS that were screened at the checkpoint! If the TSA officers had to further screen bags at the gate, does this mean the checkpoint didn't do an adequate job of screening the bags? Were the officers at the checkpoint negligent? Are some of them untrustworthy - in thrall to, or in the pay of, terrorist organizations?

Is it safe to fly? Should I stop flying? I think I won't stop for now, but certainly if an officer wants to screen my bag at the gate I'll happily acquiesce, but will certainly ask what went wrong with the checkpoint screening, and maybe call 911 to get law enforcement officers to interview the checkpoint officers. Certainly if the extremely important job of the checkpoint officers is done properly, there should be no need to screen bags at the gate!

I'm really scared!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
These were the SAME BAGS that were screened at the checkpoint! If the TSA officers had to further screen bags at the gate, does this mean the checkpoint didn't do an adequate job of screening the bags? Were the officers at the checkpoint negligent? Are some of them untrustworthy - in thrall to, or in the pay of, terrorist organizations?
I don't think that's the problem.

The problem appears to be that the TSA seems to think that not enough people are inconvenienced by the "screening" at the "checkpoint," and so they feel the need to really rub the travelers' noses in "SEE! WE'RE DOING STUFF!" whether or not the "STUFF!" is productive or useful.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
I think we can all agree that the vigilance of the TSA officers is the only thing protecting us from a repetition of the September 11 attacks. Therefore, I was gravely concerned when I saw TSA officers randomly searching bags at the gate. They would point to a passenger and ask him to bring his bag and then they would check it.

Is it safe to fly? Should I stop flying? I think I won't stop for now, but certainly if an officer wants to screen my bag at the gate I'll happily acquiesce, but will certainly ask what went wrong with the checkpoint screening, and maybe call 911 to get law enforcement officers to interview the checkpoint officers. Certainly if the extremely important job of the checkpoint officers is done properly, there should be no need to screen bags at the gate!

I'm really scared!
Satire?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
It's just a "make work" program to justify the Thousands Standing Around. They do it at SNA all of the time.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Michael El
It's just a "make work" program to justify the Thousands Standing Around. They do it at SNA all of the time.
a simple "no thanks, I've already been screened" and then just casually walk away usually gets them to annoy someone else.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 4:26 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BH62
Satire?
That's my guess.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BH62
Satire?
With everything having to do with the TSA, I am as serious as a heart attack. After lying awake all night worrying about it, I don't know why they don't evacuate the terminal if the bags are improperly screened. That's the thing to do. The screening at the checkpoint is our last line of defense against another September 11 style attack! Some random bag screening can't be counted on to stop a terrorist who has slipped past the checkpoint. If a terrorist sees the gate screening, what's to stop him from just leaving his nefarious device to wreak havoc at the gate? Or to take it back to the checkpoint to wreak even more havoc at the densely packed checkpoint queue? Or to take it to baggage claim and drop it on the carousel?

Anyway, if I am asked to have my bag screened at the gate, I will urge that the terminal be evacuated. We passengers are the twentieth layer of defense, and I guess one of the ways we function is to point out to TSA officers problems that they may have overlooked. It worries me, though, to think that the TSA has overlooked weaknesses and problems. For us to be safe, the TSA has to get it right every time.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This would be your first mistake. TSA has nothing to do with preventing another 9/11 attack.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by halls120
This would be your first mistake. TSA has nothing to do with preventing another 9/11 attack.
Oh, you're no fun.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:10 am

I think we can all agree that the vigilance of the TSA officers is the only thing protecting us from a repetition of the September 11 attacks.
You forgot defending our freedoms, inspiring our children through hugs, stickers, and lollypops (but mostly hugs), and achieving unprecedented levels of world peace.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I think we can all agree that the vigilance of the TSA officers is the only thing protecting us from a repetition of the September 11 attacks...
Oh, yeah. I agree with that!

Bruce
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Carl:
The TSA is a ....ing joke.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:44 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Anyway, if I am asked to have my bag screened at the gate, I will urge that the terminal be evacuated.
Now that would be interesting.

You should not only urge that the terminal be evacuated, you should DEMAND that it be evacuated. You should make your fellow passengers quite aware of your concerns regarding the ability of TSA to do it's job. You should be quite vocal about it. s/o
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Avoiding gate searches has always been trivially easy, if you think about it.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Interestingly, they were doing gate searches at FLL Terminal 1, Gate C-2 on Thursday, November 7. A passenger waiting in Zone 1 to board felt that I had cut in line before him. I thought he was wrong, but because it didn't matter, I said, "I'm pretty sure we'll all take off at the same time, but you go ahead of me. No problem." So, we start to board, with me right behind him, and he was selected for a gate search! I couldn't believe the irony. He was pulled aside, and I sauntered onto the plane.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.