Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I saw one person undergoing SSSS screening at HKG that looked like a massive hassle. The poor guy basically had to completely unpack his whole bag. He also had to open a few shrinkwrapped Apple devices so they could be swabbed.

I doubt the plane would leave without you if you were still being screened (unless maybe you were very late to the gate?) but it's not exactly the greatest way to start or end a trip.
I've been "gifted" with SSSS a number of times departing from HKG and it was always quick. Most recent time was in early November. Most times it's performed in the jetway and consisted of looking into my bag, swabbing my hands and bag, removing shoes and sometimes swabbing the shoes. Agents doing the screening were polite and pleasant. So if I'm going to be "gifted" with SSSS anywhere, I'd prefer HKG.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
A coworker got it in YYZ. Pulled out everything in his carryon. He had a laptop that he forgot the charging cable. It wouldn't turn on so he had to check his bag with it in it...which makes no sense. It cost him an extra hour and he almost missed his flight - to be searched, exit to check a bag, & re-go through security.

If you have a checked bag does that mean they will take the time to pull your bag to search it too?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TSparky
A coworker got it in YYZ. Pulled out everything in his carryon. He had a laptop that he forgot the charging cable. It wouldn't turn on so he had to check his bag with it in it...which makes no sense. It cost him an extra hour and he almost missed his flight - to be searched, exit to check a bag, & re-go through security.

If you have a checked bag does that mean they will take the time to pull your bag to search it too?
With the caveat my two SSSS occasions have been on domestic flights I have no reason to believe or evidence they pulled my checked luggage.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP.
SSSS on all domestic flight segments

So im getting the SSSS on all my domestic flight segments. When I came back to the states last month I was pulled to the side for questioning and he asked me simple questions about my whereabouts where I traveled (Turkey and the UK) what I do , why I travel so much and where my parents are from originally. I have Global Entry so the whole thing was odd and he wrote down everything I said and let me in. So after my last few flights I got the SSSS and now today I have two flights booked they both have the SSSS on them. Why am I getting this? I know I can get a redress to hopefully take care of the issue but why the heck am I on some list. I pay my taxes I am a us born citizen never broke a law in my life it really is unfair. I dont even have a common name. I know a lot of you disagree but If I didnt look middle eastern I bet you this would have never happened. anyway end of rant.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sorry about your experience. But I believe you have a misunderstanding - Having GE does not give you carte blanche.

Having GE does give you expedited processing when you are deem eligible. However, CBP and/or TSA can still conduct a full search when they deem necessary.

Also - having GE does not necessary mean you don't get SSSSed. And your chance of these "harassment" has nothing to do with you paying tax or not.

I honestly don't know why because your post is basically a rant, which is understandable. But if you really want to "guess-timate", I would encourage to share more information from your previous travel, as what you have posted is not enough.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Amil
So im getting the SSSS on all my domestic flight segments. When I came back to the states last month I was pulled to the side for questioning and he asked me simple questions about my whereabouts where I traveled (Turkey and the UK) what I do , why I travel so much and where my parents are from originally. I have Global Entry so the whole thing was odd and he wrote down everything I said and let me in. So after my last few flights I got the SSSS and now today I have two flights booked they both have the SSSS on them. Why am I getting this? I know I can get a redress to hopefully take care of the issue but why the heck am I on some list. I pay my taxes I am a us born citizen never broke a law in my life it really is unfair. I dont even have a common name. I know a lot of you disagree but If I didnt look middle eastern I bet you this would have never happened. anyway end of rant.
Being temporarily watchlisted due to Turkey travel has been going on for years, and it may have happened to you.

Here's more about this kind of thing: Travel to/thru Turkey and SSSS

Eventually and most commonly, the SSSS hits related to Turkey travel (and thereby on the expanded selectee lists) drop off even without doing the DHS TRIP thing to get a redress number.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 12, 2020 at 7:36 am
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Speculating will simply drive your blood pressure higher. While Turkey (especially certain areas of Turkey) might be a red flag, it might not be the only thing. It could also be that there is another Amil with a close enough date of birth who is watch-listed and you've been confused.

Obtaining a redress number won't fix the former, but it will almost certainly fix the latter.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Sorry about your experience. But I believe you have a misunderstanding - Having GE does not give you carte blanche.

Having GE does give you expedited processing when you are deem eligible. However, CBP and/or TSA can still conduct a full search when they deem necessary.

Also - having GE does not necessary mean you don't get SSSSed. And your chance of these "harassment" has nothing to do with you paying tax or not.

I honestly don't know why because your post is basically a rant, which is understandable. But if you really want to "guess-timate", I would encourage to share more information from your previous travel, as what you have posted is not enough.

Whats the point of GE? Its called a Trusted Traveler program. I go in they find out who I am run an extensive background check ask me every question in the book so that. with the tax paying part Its just a saying I obviously dont mean that puts me on a good list but the law abiding citizen who has never broken a law joins a a TTP program should not be harassed. As far as previous travels I travel mainly through europe along with canada and mexico. I go to iran once every few years for the past 25 years and the US is aware of this because I told them during my TTP interview (3. now)

on this specific trip it might not have been turkey that triggered it. I was in turkey (istanbul primarily and bodrum for a week) for a month went to london for a week found out I was out of pages and had to get a 1 year passport in the UK, then headed back to istanbul for another week and came home. I have friends that are us citizens that go to turkey for 3-5 months at a time and never have issues so no idea what triggers it.

Originally Posted by Often1
Speculating will simply drive your blood pressure higher. While Turkey (especially certain areas of Turkey) might be a red flag, it might not be the only thing. It could also be that there is another Amil with a close enough date of birth who is watch-listed and you've been confused.

Obtaining a redress number won't fix the former, but it will almost certainly fix the latter.

It would be nice to get some data points to see how many middle eastern people get it vs others I really do think I get profiled more cause of my appearance
Old Oct 12, 2020, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As noted, it's just raising your blood pressure.

Either do nothing and hope that you drop off the list in short order or apply for a redress number.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
As noted, it's just raising your blood pressure.

Either do nothing and hope that you drop off the list in short order or apply for a redress number.
why are you worried about my blood pressure? lol if there is racial profiling be done I think we need it to stop. somebody has to speak out .if there isnt there isnt.
Spiff, GUWonder and lonelycrowd like this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Whats the point of GE? Its called a Trusted Traveler program.
Not pointing you directly, but just because you are trusted, it does not mean you can't smuggle drugs into the country.

Selective inspections, random or not, is to ensure the integrity of the program. FWIW - with or without TTP, CBP will randomly select passengers for a full inspection just to prove things are working as it should.

I go in they find out who I am run an extensive background check ask me every question in the book so that.
They are not extensive. Instead, the background check is very basic.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not pointing you directly, but just because you are trusted, it does not mean you can't smuggle drugs into the country.

Selective inspections, random or not, is to ensure the integrity of the program. FWIW - with or without TTP, CBP will randomly select passengers for a full inspection just to prove things are working as it should.

Agree. Extensive is when former neighbors, friends, and teachers are interviewed in person when investigating an individuals background. They went back and questioned people who I didn't even remember well. That investigation was thorough.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 11:20 am

hmm I dont know how they do interviews now but I joined when GE started he asked me every question about my life and ran a background check fingerprints. regardless sure ask me questions every now and then but why put me on some sort of watchlist?
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 1:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was in turkey (istanbul primarily and bodrum for a week) for a month went to london for a week found out I was out of pages and had to get a 1 year passport in the UK, then headed back to istanbul for another week and came home.
This is the sort of travel activity that a computer doing risk analysis might deem risky. I don't think there's much more to this than the travel pattern-- namely changing travel documents in the middle one-way tickets involving Turkey and the UK. (We all share PNR data).

Cheer up. The computer probably just doesn't like your travel pattern and your new passport.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmm I dont know how they do interviews now but I joined when GE started he asked me every question about my life and ran a background check fingerprints.
CBP did not ask you any questions beyond your GE application and your background check result. When you were asked anything beyond, I would then start calling extensive. FWIW, a basic-level extensive background check at least involves third-party verification, i.e. the check will not simply rely on the information you have provided, but instead verify the information from others. And running your name through a database, similar to an investigative consumer report, does not count.

regardless sure ask me questions every now and then but why put me on some sort of watchlist?
You are not necessarily on any watchlists at all. There are many instances a person can end up SSSSed. For starters, an airline does have authority to put someone for SSSS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.