Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TFKEF
SSSS on a boarding pass from Istanbul to Geneva? Is that a thing?
I don't think the treatment kicks in until one reaches the gate before the flight to the US...

Though, I noticed a similar lax attitude when I had the SSSS on my recent CPH-LIS-MIA flight. The LIS folk had these faces that were very, "why are we even bothering with this, this is ridiculous, where is my coffee, no I really don't want to search your purse and your bag just hold onto this one and give me your shoes so I look like I'm doing something important"-attitude. It was the most minimal extra screening I've ever experienced. Unlike one time leaving Gatwick where they searched every nook and cranny of my bag by shaking out every item, opening individual make-up containers, flipping through books, wiping through makeup brushes, thumbing through my wallet even, the works. This was years ago though.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by TFKEF
SSSS on a boarding pass from Istanbul to Geneva? Is that a thing?
It can be, though it's rare to get it on a segment that doesn't touch US soil. I once had SSSS printed on a VS boarding pass DXB-LHR (with an onward connection to BOS). They did intercept me at the gate and performed the extra swabbing and searching at DXB rather than LHR. No idea if passengers without an onward connection to the US were getting SSSS at DXB as well. Pretty sure that situation was unique to VS, and it's actually somewhat logical that if they felt there was any value at all to the SSSS procedures that they would do them prior to the first long-haul flight of the day.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:59 pm

The SSSS on law abiding American citizen traveler is unconstitutional.

The airline crews or whoever selects you to be treated like a criminal when you come home from overseas travel.

It is evil and wrong! Prove us and take us to court or stop this cruel practice! The redress thing doesn't help. Giving SSSS to a mother traveling with a special needs minor autistic child? This is how wrong this is!
Spiff, Loren Pechtel and samosa like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
The SSSS on law abiding American citizen traveler is unconstitutional.
Which section of the Constitution is being breached ?
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a lawyer but under the 5th amendment there is a clear right to travel. Acts that chill rights have been found to be unconstitutional. Could that be the case with SSSS for citizens?
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Not a lawyer but under the 5th amendment there is a clear right to travel. Acts that chill rights have been found to be unconstitutional. Could that be the case with SSSS for citizens?
I have gotten way more SSSS boarding passes than probably 99+% of the flying public — welcome to the product of flying a lot internationally to the US — and it really didn’t chill my travel as much as it made me view the TSA and airline/airport/country security contractor shenanigans as just that: a dog and pony show done in the name of “security” that costs money and time and may be more counterproductive than anything else.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have gotten way more SSSS boarding passes than probably 99+% of the flying public — welcome to the product of flying a lot internationally to the US — and it really didn’t chill my travel as much as it made me view the TSA and airline/airport/country security contractor shenanigans as just that: a dog and pony show done in the name of “security” that costs money and time and may be more counterproductive than anything else.
For me, I travel internationally ONCE, or max of twice a year and that too with my wife and child. I travel domestic once or twice a year. So I don't travel often domestic or international. Same with my wife.

I first got it in 2016 only me. I applied for Redress. I got it again in 2018 even after entering Redress. My wife and my minor child didn't get it.

But my wife got SSSS for the first time on UA flight home from YYZ. She was with our minor autistic child. She told me she was asked to remove her shoes, stand in the scanner and restart he phone. Not good to get SSSS when you are with a child that can get distracted easily and wander away fast.

The airline crews selects certain number of passenger on international return flight? However this is done, it is just wrong. it is like, we don't see you have done anything wrong but we still feel you are guilty of something or prove us your innocence.
I hope one day, there is a court challenge to STOP this.
Spiff and chollie like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended

Did you take the time to see if there had been any court challenge to it? If it is such an issue to you, then you're free to make one yourself.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:18 am

What would the legal basis of such a challenge be ?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:17 am

Just wanted to add that I just won the SSSS lotto again (it seems to be almost guaranteed for my annual Thanksgiving weekend getaway trips to the opposite side of the world). I've been down this road quite a few times in airports all over the world, despite having GE and entering the KTN, but my experience at SIN (SIN-LAX) was a whole new level of hell. I had three separate screenings just to get through passport control (normally there is not a screening at this point in SIN because security is at the gate). Once I got to the gate, I had another 3 step screening, including the most thorough pat down of my life (I feel like I should have at least received some flowers before our 'date.'. There were also excessive delays at checkin and passport control because no one seemed to know what to do.

Just as I was about to make this post, I had a CSR from Changi approached me for a very detailed survey at the gate. Of course, I mentioned how enthusiastic I was at get screened so thoroughly. At least I got a free airport coaster in exchange for the 10 minute survey.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Having had an SSSS when returning from EDI to the USA, I'm now wondering why it is called the "dreaded" SSSS?

It meant a few extra minutes at the gate, for an inspection of carry-ons.
DH didn't get SSSS, so we've joked about that...

It was less intrusive than the time at a USA airport when I forgot that we had left our bar of non-allergenic soap in the carry on suitcase rather than in the tote, where everything is easily accessible.

Does SSSS sometimes cause big problems/delays - for someone without any actual "issue"?

GC
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Does SSSS sometimes cause big problems/delays - for someone without any actual "issue"?
All things being equal, unless it's work related, I just don't like being bothered. When I'm assured of having bin space reserved, I like to board at the last possible time; and, this SSSS in CDG required me to leave the lounge almost 60 minutes before I had to, and pay attention, answer questions and open up my roller.

No qualms if the CBP wanted to check me upon entry, but I thought GE was supposed to spare me from PC/CYA stuff.

PS - I mean, even if I had plans to smuggle something, I'd sure as hell would ditch it after the "please check in at the Airport" message after OLCI, and certainly after the SSSS thing on my BP.

Last edited by Visconti; Dec 9, 2019 at 6:44 am Reason: PS....
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I saw one person undergoing SSSS screening at HKG that looked like a massive hassle. The poor guy basically had to completely unpack his whole bag. He also had to open a few shrinkwrapped Apple devices so they could be swabbed.

I doubt the plane would leave without you if you were still being screened (unless maybe you were very late to the gate?) but it's not exactly the greatest way to start or end a trip.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I doubt the plane would leave without you if you were still being screened (unless maybe you were very late to the gate?) but it's not exactly the greatest way to start or end a trip.
I just have an issue with stupid stuff. I mean, only reason to flag me is for smuggling, and the last thing you'd want is to give me an early warning and ditch my stash or whatever; better to trap and arrest me upon entry. Via GE, the CBP, my gov't, AA and even probably even French know enough about where I'm absolutely no threat to the aircraft--heck, I don't even have life insurance!

What is the point on wasting time and resources on me? Again, to reiterate, over countless flights, I have never had SSSS domestically, even when leaving for dubious foreign destinations, just on the return portion.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:22 am

Having had an SSSS when returning from EDI to the USA, I'm now wondering why it is called the "dreaded" SSSS?

It meant a few extra minutes at the gate, for an inspection of carry-ons.
DH didn't get SSSS, so we've joked about that...

It was less intrusive than the time at a USA airport when I forgot that we had left our bar of non-allergenic soap in the carry on suitcase rather than in the tote, where everything is easily accessible.

GC
SSSS from foreign stations are generally okay, in my experience - as you say, just a few fairly cursory checks.

I believe SSSS when flying domestically is the "third degree" which people actually dread, and I've never had it when flying with GE/Pre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.