Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mats
It started after TWA 800, which wasn't actually a terrorist attack. The Gore Commission introduced much wider use of selectees on US domestic flights.
If folks remember, TWA 800 and Gore also hatched the program to ask passengers for "voluntary" submission of next-of-kin data for international flights.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
So I was flagged at IST last year, was given a thorough pat-down and my backpack was searched but they didn't seem to care about my electronics. They went thru my passport page by page and asked me all sorts of questions about my travels.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:50 am

Had all the S's at Heathrow the other day, totally opposite experience to many in here.

They had a comedy table thrown in the gate area with a scanner, they swabbed the ipad but ignored the headphones/camera/battery etc. I took my shoes off and then was told to put them back on without a glance, and the pat down didn't actually involve any patting, more like a football stadium search where someone waves their hands around you slightly.

The only annoying part was that it caused the virgin phone app to give a "technical error" when trying to check in, cue me swearing at it and trying 50 times to try and make it work. It was never going to work as the extra statement from virgin "if you refuse the tsa search you wont be boarded" doesn't exist in the app!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Puppethead
Had all the S's at Heathrow the other day, totally opposite experience to many in here.

They had a comedy table thrown in the gate area with a scanner, they swabbed the ipad but ignored the headphones/camera/battery etc. I took my shoes off and then was told to put them back on without a glance, and the pat down didn't actually involve any patting, more like a football stadium search where someone waves their hands around you slightly.

The only annoying part was that it caused the virgin phone app to give a "technical error" when trying to check in, cue me swearing at it and trying 50 times to try and make it work. It was never going to work as the extra statement from virgin "if you refuse the tsa search you wont be boarded" doesn't exist in the app!
Folks, we now have an addition to the official TS&S glossary of Security Theater.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I've been selected twice this year on flights to the USA.

First time was on Delta at AMS in May. That one I expected as it was a last minute booking to avoid the BA IT system failure.

The second time was this past week on Qatar routing DEL-DOH-LAX. The SSSS was only on my DOH-LAX BP. No explanation for this one other than LAX is not my normal U.S. port of entry (I needed to be in RNO for a meeting). I assume it was just random.

Several flights between those two with no issues at all.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Pete838

SSSS generally means you’re on a government watch list. But the airlines can also flag someone. Pretty sure I got added to the list because I was on the same PNR with someone else on a watch list and I got flagged as guilty by association. I’ve got a redress number now. Flying again soon, will update here with results, whether the redress # worked.

Not sure I buy the “SSSS generally means you’re on a government watch list”. There are a myriad of potential reasons from random selection to travel patterns to indeed being on a “watch list”. My last SSSS was a month ago in CDG on the way home from a cruise that started in Italy and visited Egypt, Jordan, Oman, and UAE. Kind of figured it was the travel pattern or more likely random selection. Mrs K was on the same trip and PNR and she didn’t receive the dreaded SSSS. For me it had been 10+ years since my previous SSSS in Las Vegas of all places.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47

Not sure I buy the “SSSS generally means you’re on a government watch list”. There are a myriad of potential reasons from random selection to travel patterns to indeed being on a “watch list”. My last SSSS was a month ago in CDG on the way home from a cruise that started in Italy and visited Egypt, Jordan, Oman, and UAE. Kind of figured it was the travel pattern or more likely random selection. Mrs K was on the same trip and PNR and she didn’t receive the dreaded SSSS. For me it had been 10+ years since my previous SSSS in Las Vegas of all places.
If my wife was on a government watch list we wouldn't get pre-check on just about every outbound flight.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If my wife was on a government watch list we wouldn't get pre-check on just about every outbound flight.
Agree but not sure how that fits in the discussion. ????
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47

Agree but not sure how that fits in the discussion. ????
The point is you can get repeated SSSS's without being on a watch list.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The point is you can get repeated SSSS's without being on a watch list.
Yes, if in reference to just government watchlists.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:11 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Flew home on United from NRT to SFO last week. I used a kiosk to get my boarding pass and didn't happen to notice the nice SSSS printed on it, until later. I am assuming I was selected for SSSS since I didn't check in with an agent and therefore be subjected to questioning. After a few rolled eyes and sighs at what I was anticipating to be subjected to, I ended up having the best "SSSS" experience I've ever had. At the gate, I asked the gate agent whether the SSSS meant I needed to be questioned or would be subject to a full pre-board search (which was common at NRT for a while anyway). She said it was a search, but asked me, "would you like me to page you before we board so you can get started?" to which I said a happy "yes sure".

So standing around, nobody boards yet, not even GS. She invites me past the rope and I was subjected to a rather cursory swabbing (electronics, shoes, inside of bag), nothing more invasive than that...took all of 3 minutes, and then I was standing at the gate ready to board. Doors opened up and I waltzed on-board before even the GS were called! I feel bad for other SSSS folks who just lined up and got pulled out as boarding progressed.

I highly doubt this would happen anywhere other than Narita where gate agents always treat passengers with respect, but sure made my day.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I had a similar experience after getting SSSS in HKG a few months back. I did regular check-in and had already answered the security questions and received the sticker on my passport. I got the BP and saw SSSS and make a funny remark to the agent about it. She said it's random, I said I hope so.

Went through security normally, no effect with SSSS. At HKG, most of the US bound gates are roped off for the pre-boarding screening. When I went to the gate for boarding, security saw my SSSS and took me to closed off area. They were very apologetic about it. Asked me to remove shoes and they swabbed them and also swabbed my hands while taking a very quick look in my bag. We made a few jokes and had some smalltalk. Not much of an inconvenience. As I boarded the plane, the red light went off after scanning my BP. Agent did a quick check and took my BP and left me the tear-off portion, that never happened before.

While I hope to never get SSSS again, getting it in HKG wasn't much of an issue.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by gwade
Flew home on United from NRT to SFO last week. I used a kiosk to get my boarding pass and didn't happen to notice the nice SSSS printed on it, until later. I am assuming I was selected for SSSS since I didn't check in with an agent and therefore be subjected to questioning. After a few rolled eyes and sighs at what I was anticipating to be subjected to, I ended up having the best "SSSS" experience I've ever had. At the gate, I asked the gate agent whether the SSSS meant I needed to be questioned or would be subject to a full pre-board search (which was common at NRT for a while anyway). She said it was a search, but asked me, "would you like me to page you before we board so you can get started?" to which I said a happy "yes sure".

So standing around, nobody boards yet, not even GS. She invites me past the rope and I was subjected to a rather cursory swabbing (electronics, shoes, inside of bag), nothing more invasive than that...took all of 3 minutes, and then I was standing at the gate ready to board. Doors opened up and I waltzed on-board before even the GS were called! I feel bad for other SSSS folks who just lined up and got pulled out as boarding progressed.

I highly doubt this would happen anywhere other than Narita where gate agents always treat passengers with respect, but sure made my day.
I had a similar experience in PEK last year. Didn't make a lot of difference as I was in the forward cabin anyway, but after a cursory carry on search it still fun to walk on first. I got the sense the local security team found the TSA requirement to be a bit OTT.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
... and some severe examination of a crack in my laptop.
You're lucky that was the only crack they checked!

My favourite SSSS experience was in Turkey last year. I checked in at Ataturk for Geneva, and saw SSSS. I wondered what special treatment might await me this time, although previous experiences have never been more than a minor inconvenience.

Nothing happened. Through security. Through to the gate lounge. Nothing at all. Finally, I went to the gate desk and said "hey, I'm SSSS. I'm speshul! What's the deal?". Well, words to that effect anyway. She looked at my boarding pass, looked at me, rolled her eyes and just said "ah, the Americans. We don't bother with this".

I had more adventures at the Swiss - French border, but that's another story.

Last edited by Craig; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:50 am
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Craig
My favourite SSSS experience was in Turkey last year. I checked in at Ataturk for Geneva, and saw SSSS. I wondered what special treatment might await me this time, although previous experiences have never been more than a minor inconvenience.
SSSS on a boarding pass from Istanbul to Geneva? Is that a thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.