Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 11:04 am
Cee

Originally Posted by bocastephen
There are a couple companies which produce effective 'no contact' ultrasound for mostly industrial use, but these units could be tested with different power levels for body scanning. I'm still rather astonished how the TSA chose to use a real outline of the actual person being scanned for their MMW machines - it shows just how out of touch they are.

The chemical scan machines can look inside a container (and likely on skin and textile fibers) to determine the chemical makeup of the contents - there is no sample prep, just pass the container through the scanner.
Are there ways that a person can *deflect* an ultrasound wave? Like I said, this is not my gig, but everytime I have had an ultrasound done there are always certain preparations needed in order for it to be effective. Is it possible that it could be easy to get something past an ultrasound undetected? (In the same way it is easy to get something non metallic thru our WTMDs.)
Old May 12, 2008, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cee
Are there ways that a person can *deflect* an ultrasound wave? Like I said, this is not my gig, but everytime I have had an ultrasound done there are always certain preparations needed in order for it to be effective. Is it possible that it could be easy to get something past an ultrasound undetected? (In the same way it is easy to get something non metallic thru our WTMDs.)
If the device is tuned correctly, any object with density harder than fabric or skin would show up. My design for this device would include a neural net application which over time, would 'learn' how to detect certain objects, ignore others, etc.

Ideally, as the person walked through the tunnel, the system would detect and analyze all dense objects on their body, and display both the location and likely description of those items so the screener at the other end has an idea what to look for, and where.

A deflected wave would not be returned to the receiver, and thus could itself indicate something requiring further examination.

If you envision my design for a holistic system, you have two long tunnels - one for bags (CT/MRI/chemical) and one for people (ultrasound/chemical), so there is 1) ample time to screen, and 2) a better setup to keep people moving forward and through the screening process and reduce backups and long lines.

In the bigger picture, I would even move bag screening away from the checkpoint and into a centralized 'screening center', where a large staff are looking at monitors, checking bags and relaying 'pass' or 'stop' commands so the bags are routed out of the tunnel for either passenger retrieval or physical examination.

Three big benefits from this approach:

1) more than one person could be looking at the same bag - two eyes are better than one

2) the bag screening force becomes a 'just-in-time' labor pool and can be directed in real time to the busiest airports and checkpoints as needed throughout the day

3) the airport screening force is then directed to focus on passenger screening and bag management - taking one large task out of their hands and improving efficiency. They only need to search bags flagged by the screeners in the central location
Old May 12, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
I don't think there actually is truly random extra screening,
You're wrong; there is.

That said ... I dunno how it's done in other places, but where I work, you get either the puffer or a pat-down, but not both, unless you alarm the WTMD.
Old May 12, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
You're wrong; there is.

That said ... I dunno how it's done in other places, but where I work, you get either the puffer or a pat-down, but not both, unless you alarm the WTMD.
So how do you randomise it ? Ooops silly me, that's SSI now isn't it.

Bet it's not really random though.
Old May 12, 2008, 2:17 pm

1) more than one person could be looking at the same bag - two eyes are better than one
We have some cyclops working in TSA now?

The SSSS for ticket changes are a joke. Delta always SSSS's me when i switch on from another carrier due to irregular operations. If i'm already past security I ask the gate agent if I need to run and "get it taken care of" and they usually just give me a shhhh.

Airtran also gave me SSSS from that same trip and the gate agent didn't even pay attention scanning my BP. i was glad b/c that would have involved going from C to security and back to C in atlanta in 20 minutes.

I have no intentions of blowing up any flights.
Old May 12, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
So how do you randomise it ? Ooops silly me, that's SSI now isn't it.

Bet it's not really random though.
The way I do it (this is not SSI) when I'm assigned to random screening is simply to pop into a corral and tell the mag operator to send me the next female passenger.

Doesn't get much more random than that!
Old May 12, 2008, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
The very existence of SSSS screening implies that routine screening is inadequate. How does the TSA explain this one away?
Old May 12, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
The way I do it (this is not SSI) when I'm assigned to random screening is simply to pop into a corral and tell the mag operator to send me the next female passenger.

Doesn't get much more random than that!
But you can only do one at a time, so while you are occupied with the first 'random' selectee no more can be selected. So the randomness is being inadvertantly controlled by you, but I'm splitting hairs now .
Old May 16, 2008, 7:02 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
The very existence of SSSS screening implies that routine screening is inadequate. How does the TSA explain this one away?
Explain? Why would they have to explain that? They are a goverment agency.

I asked the second TSO to check my BP at EWR yesterday why he wanted to check it when someone else already had checked it. His reply was that the people at the entrance didn't do such a good job. Of course he used other words to say it but this is what he meant. He also said a third TSO would check my BP after I had walked through the machine to make sure TSO number 2 had really checked the BP.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Explain? Why would they have to explain that? They are a goverment agency.

I asked the second TSO to check my BP at EWR yesterday why he wanted to check it when someone else already had checked it. His reply was that the people at the entrance didn't do such a good job. Of course he used other words to say it but this is what he meant. He also said a third TSO would check my BP after I had walked through the machine to make sure TSO number 2 had really checked the BP.
Featherbedding.

Has the union been formed yet?
Old May 16, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
... the bag screening force becomes a 'just-in-time' labor pool and can be directed in real time to the busiest airports and checkpoints as needed throughout the day...
It could also be outsourced to a low-bid operation in India. One minute, they could be telemarketing for mortgage refi - the next, their screen could show them xrayed bags to pass or block.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:17 am
Cee

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Featherbedding.

Has the union been formed yet?
This is true. There are reasons for the multiple BP checks, but most of the reasons are overreactions to a previous incident. The TSA is awesome at being reactive, instead of proactive.

As far as the union is concerned...I work with people that are part of the union. I don't understand unions, and have been screwed by them before, so I will have no part of it.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Cee
This is true. There are reasons for the multiple BP checks, but most of the reasons are overreactions to a previous incident. The TSA is awesome at being reactive, instead of proactive.
Isn't the whole SSSS thing a reaction to 9/11? Where security failed to find anything even though several of the hijackers were secondary selectees.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:40 am
Cee

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Isn't the whole SSSS thing a reaction to 9/11? Where security failed to find anything even though several of the hijackers were secondary selectees.
The whole TSA is a reaction to 9/11. The whole 3-1-1 is a reaction to London. The whole shoe carnival is a reaction to Richard Reid...
Old May 16, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Cee
The whole TSA is a reaction to 9/11. The whole 3-1-1 is a reaction to London. The whole shoe carnival is a reaction to Richard Reid...
And the ID/BP checking is a reaction to what thwarted terrorist threat? None. I guessed as much.....

If the screening was swift and effective, loved ones could be allowed to visit the gates just like before. No BP needed. No ID needed. Airside vendors would rejoice at having more customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.