Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SSSS (Secondary Security Screening Selection) on Boarding Pass (policy debate thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Since 2011, I've been given the SSSS treatment...

every time I fly to the US. EVERY time.

That means being pulled aside at the gate for a secondary check when flying from any country to the US. I fly in and out of the US at least 12 times a year.

This has been compounded by two things:
  • I cannot, for the life of me, get my name of whatever list I was put on. Redress hasn't worked
  • Since then I married a US Citizen and moved to the US. I am now a permanent resident living in California.

Anyway, just when I was ready to give up, I applied for Global Entry and was given a conditional approval (my interview is next month). For some reason, that flagged my name up for correction and I'm happy to report that on my last flight I wasn't pulled aside

So, if anyone is in my position that may be a way to get things fixed.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Txubito
every time I fly to the US. EVERY time.

just when I was ready to give up, I applied for Global Entry and was given a conditional approval (my interview is next month). For some reason, that flagged my name up for correction and I'm happy to report that on my last flight I wasn't pulled aside

So, if anyone is in my position that may be a way to get things fixed.
interesting if global entry approval fixed it !
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
interesting if global entry approval fixed it !
I'm sure that Global Entry approval doesn't generally fix haraSSSSment hits for many passengers of some US airlines who repeatedly/consistently get hit with haraSSSSment mostly/exclusively on just flights to the US. For some having a KTN in the PNR may be enough for the involved contractors to sometimes reduce haraSSSSment flagging chances on US-bound flights.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
I got SSSS on a return trip from HKG (5-day trip on UA) last week. It was the first time I've gotten SSSS in quite a while -- over a decade I believe. Have GE as well. We'll see if I continue to get it.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Unfortunately my wife and I both had it with GE for about a year, it took a lot of intervention to get it off, but apparently it is easy for someone at the JTTF to put you on without any reason or recourse. It was taken off, but I was advised not to argue about it.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Txubito
Anyway, just when I was ready to give up, I applied for Global Entry and was given a conditional approval (my interview is next month). For some reason, that flagged my name up for correction and I'm happy to report that on my last flight I wasn't pulled aside
So paying $100 means you're no longer a terrorist? Do we need any further proof that DHS/TSA needs to be scrapped?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by chollie
There is also a redress process, which may or may not help. It's a relatively short thread, so you might want to review what others have already posted.
Slightly OT - was not getting SSSS but getting secondary screening at customs and borders EVERY time no matter what the airline or port of entry. I joked with the immigration guy who was not happy about me pointing out certain things.

I applied for redress and it has been great - no further issues for about 6 months now.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:52 am

I was just flew DUH>AUH>LAX>PHX and my travel companion got SSSS for AUH>LAX yet TSA pecheck for LAX>PHX. Odd since you can connect airside and avoid TSA at LAX. Also odd since AUH offers US customs before departure. Further odd since we were exact same flights.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Centurion
I was just flew DUH>AUH>LAX>PHX and my travel companion got SSSS for AUH>LAX yet TSA pecheck for LAX>PHX. Odd since you can connect airside and avoid TSA at LAX. Also odd since AUH offers US customs before departure. Further odd since we were exact same flights.
Nothing odd about it when you realize that the sources of haraSSSSment on international flights to the US may come either from the USG or from the airline/airline contractors.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:51 am

I got SSSS flying SAS from CPH to ORD. I'm GE, woman, flying with a child, about as non-foreign sounding name as one can possibly get, and haven't ever traveled to any notable security risk countries. There were a lot of people on that flight getting screened - I had to wait in line for my turn in the screening room! I hope this was indeed random and isn't something that is stuck on my name now. I haven't flown since then, but have a few trips this summer...
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by manda99
about as non-foreign sounding name as one can possibly get
I hope you aren't implying that having a foreign sounding name means that you should get SSSS
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by samosa
I hope you aren't implying that having a foreign sounding name means that you should get SSSS
I have no doubt that there is some ethno-religious prejudice in play via names when it comes to haraSSSSment flagging on some international flights to the US. But I also have no doubt that there is some haraSSSSment flagging on international flights to the US that is also just there because enough people have to be hit by it because that is what the USG and/or carriers want.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have no doubt that there is some ethno-religious prejudice in play via names when it comes to haraSSSSment flagging on some international flights to the US. But I also have no doubt that there is some haraSSSSment flagging on international flights to the US that is also just there because enough people have to be hit by it because that is what the USG and/or carriers want.
Sadly almost certainly true.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I got annoyed at the level of questioning at LHR Admiral's club and as a result, got SSSS on my wife's and my boarding pass.

Is this likely to be a several month thing? I fly domestically about 2-3 times a month, and I'm totally bummed by the prospect.

Do most agree that redress is a waste of time in this case?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
I got annoyed at the level of questioning at LHR Admiral's club and as a result, got SSSS on my wife's and my boarding pass.

Is this likely to be a several month thing? I fly domestically about 2-3 times a month, and I'm totally bummed by the prospect.

Do most agree that redress is a waste of time in this case?
Waste of time generally to do TRIP/redress if airline/airline contractor is the party doing your selection for haraSSSSment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.