Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Missed this earlier, I have never even heard of that happening until now. Please tell me you filed a complaint and contacted the local TSA office as well. Nitro pills come through almost every checkpoint everyday, there is no prohibition on them, nor is there limitation on them that I am aware of. The TSOs that took the nitro pills were wrong.
From the TSA Blog:

"As a matter of fact, a screener determined recently that a passenger could not take his nitroglycerin pills on a flight because they were "explosive." That person could have died without the prescribed medication should there have been a cardiac emergency.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21024500-post16.html"
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
From the TSA Blog:

"As a matter of fact, a screener determined recently that a passenger could not take his nitroglycerin pills on a flight because they were "explosive." That person could have died without the prescribed medication should there have been a cardiac emergency.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21024500-post16.html"
Surely you don't expect members of the TSA Blog Team to actually read those postings do you?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Surely you don't expect members of the TSA Blog Team to actually read those postings do you?
I was kinda hoping they did.....but I guess they don't.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I was kinda hoping they did.....but I guess they don't.
If they aren't going to respond to postings why waste time reading them?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by chollie
Nope.

I wanted to fly that day and I didn't want to take the time to file feedback that requires my personal information because I didn't want to be added to a watch list.

I now carry my meds everywhere (as ordered by my physician) except when I'm flying somewhere. There are no exemptions for this med on the webpage, apparently none in the SSI SOP.

They were 'discovered' during the mandatory complete bag check and swab that accompanied my 'involuntary medical opt-out' grope. The screener unpacked everything, examined each item, read each label.
We have HIPAA laws that keep family members from knowing info about their sick loved ones...but then everyday strangers at TSA reads your medical prescriptions, looks at the plate in your head from a previous surgery, etc.

Makes no sense.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:44 pm

If they aren't going to respond to postings why waste time reading them?
You've got a point there.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The blog puts out good information, but it is much more dry than it used to be (remember the alien detector on April Fools Day?). The participation is down due to other concerns or duties on the part of the team members. I do some limited answering, and I will try to do some more as we move forward, but I am still not going to be able to comment on ongoing investigations, SSI, personnel issues and some of the other types of questions asked.

I miss snarky and a bit more fun myself. We were much more engaging before, and hopefully we will be in the future. Hopefully we will also expand the tools we use, and use them effectively.

TS&S used to be much more hostile than it is currently. The current trend is pretty much disagree with factual information and/or commentary and opinion without the vitriolic content - which lends itself to better discourse. I do not feel that this is a hostile eviron per se, but it used to be much more personal in how folks convey their messages (name calling, insults, etc).

I have no problem with snark or humor in governmental communications, even when I disagree with the message being given. It makes the "face" more human, easier to relate to and easier to disagree with on a basic note. As long as the snark is only part of the messaging mind you.

Walking sticks/canes are allowed without limitation - as long as it is a walking stick/cane (and not a sword concealed in the handle, or a 3 piece m,artial arts tool connected by chains when you pull it at the ends - both of which I have seen come through). I am uncertain what was going on with Chewbacca, but I would not have been the one trying to make the wookie mad, it just doesn't make sense.

One thing to keep in mind, just because someone says they are a TSO, does not mean they are actually a TSO. I can post on an engineering site saying I am an engineer, but it does not make it so - which happens much more often than you think. I will try to make more commentary on statements that are not correct, but I will miss them from time to time.
I want to be clear.

Are you suggesting that the person in question was/is not a TSA employee and the TSA Blog Team knew this fact?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:43 pm

All this freaks me out. How does TSA look at homeopathic remedies and herbal? This is what I have used four years.Travelling withpout this is a big NO>
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:14 pm
Suspended

I want to be clear.

Are you suggesting that the person in question was/is not a TSA employee and the TSA Blog Team knew this fact?
When have you ever seen a member of the "blog team" correct someone who claimed there were a TSA employee and posted blatantly incorrect information?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Caradoc
And even now we see that the TSA can't get their Land-Of-Make-Believe explanations aligned when it comes to making excuses for their own discrepancies.
That was not an excuse, merely an explanation of why we tend to turn the bins one way as opposed to the other. What other reasoning have you been given?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: TSA
I want to be clear.

I suggested nothing of the sort, all I indicated was just because someone says they are a TSO in their comments at the TSA Blog site, does not necessarily mean they are actually a TSO. I can go to a site for engineers or some other industry specific site and claim I am an engineer, but that does not make it so.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Bins long V short is a simple space issue here, if they are run through longways, fewer bins can sit on the exit belt, and that can gum up the AIT exit and by extension other areas inside the checkpoint.
Seriously, bin axis is NOT what 'gums up' the checkpoints. When there are 6/8/10 people lined up waiting to go thru the grope & scope, it doesn't matter what axis their bins are sitting on, the exit belt will be gummed up because the pax can't get to said bins to retrieve their belongings.

If the TSA is truly worried about gummed up checkpoints, there is one easy way to rectify that-get rid of the NoS (which, it bears repeating, don't work anyway) & you'll be amazed how quickly all those lines & gummed up belts will vanish.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Walking sticks/canes are allowed without limitation - as long as it is a walking stick/cane (and not a sword concealed in the handle, or a 3 piece m,artial arts tool connected by chains when you pull it at the ends - both of which I have seen come through). I am uncertain what was going on with Chewbacca, but I would not have been the one trying to make the wookie mad, it just doesn't make sense.
It didn't make sense at the time & considering how much coverage there was of the incident in the press, I'm very surprised you are saying you didn't know what was going on.

To put it simply, Mr. Mayhew is 7'3-someone that big is going to need a much more substantial cane than a 4' 85 lbs. granny. Your fellow screeners he interacted with couldn't make that connection. This speaks volumes about the training provided and the caliber of person the TSA hires as a screener.

You seem like a reasonable person so I'm sure you will agree that respect is earned & the TSA has earned every bit of (dis)respect the traveling public has for it by actions like this. Maybe one day the TSA, & those wearing the blue shirts, will even understand that, but I am not holding my breath.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by txrus
It didn't make sense at the time & considering how much coverage there was of the incident in the press, I'm very surprised you are saying you didn't know what was going on.

To put it simply, Mr. Mayhew is 7'3-someone that big is going to need a much more substantial cane than a 4' 85 lbs. granny. Your fellow screeners he interacted with couldn't make that connection. This speaks volumes about the training provided and the caliber of person the TSA hires as a screener.

You seem like a reasonable person so I'm sure you will agree that respect is earned & the TSA has earned every bit of (dis)respect the traveling public has for it by actions like this. Maybe one day the TSA, & those wearing the blue shirts, will even understand that, but I am not holding my breath.
I have always seen two possibilities with the Peter Mayhew incident:

1) The screeners were actually so monumentally stupid that they thought that a lightsaber cane counted as a "replica weapon" and should be banned on that basis - much like the teenage girl with the "reaplica weapon" embossed on her purse.

2) The screeners knew there was nothing objectionable about the cane but were trying like crazy to come up with some flimsy justification so they could steal the cane under the guise of a forced "voluntary" surrender. I think this one much more likely, because it was only after Peter Tweeted about the incident in progress that the TSOs realized their attempted theft was going to be broadcast on the web, gave it up, and returned Peter's cane to him.

So, either they were utter morons, or they were despicable theives operating under color of government authoritah. Neither possibility cast the TSA in a good light as an agency.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I have always seen two possibilities with the Peter Mayhew incident:

1) The screeners were actually so monumentally stupid that they thought that a lightsaber cane counted as a "replica weapon" and should be banned on that basis - much like the teenage girl with the "reaplica weapon" embossed on her purse.

2) The screeners knew there was nothing objectionable about the cane but were trying like crazy to come up with some flimsy justification so they could steal the cane under the guise of a forced "voluntary" surrender. I think this one much more likely, because it was only after Peter Tweeted about the incident in progress that the TSOs realized their attempted theft was going to be broadcast on the web, gave it up, and returned Peter's cane to him.

So, either they were utter morons, or they were despicable theives operating under color of government authoritah. Neither possibility cast the TSA in a good light as an agency.
I think there is a third option; utter morons and despicable thieves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.