Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Which country has the most intimidating border control?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which country has the most intimidating border control?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I wish Brazil would waive the visa-ahead-of-time USA revenge requirement and just charge $100-150 at the airport like Chile and Argentina. (Brazil calls this requirement "reciprocity", but that would imply that they are worried that the favelas of NYC would empty into Rio where we would take their jobs. IMO it's just revenge -- "because they can.")
Argentina charges a 'reciprocity' fee and it is made quite clear that the fee is because the US/Canada/Australia charge similar fees to Argentine citizens. The fee can no lnger be paid upon arrival.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Argentina charges a 'reciprocity' fee and it is made quite clear that the fee is because the US/Canada/Australia charge similar fees to Argentine citizens. The fee can no lnger be paid upon arrival.
I don't mind the money, I can agree that that qualifies as reciprocity (and you can pay Argentina's online). With Brazil, you can do nothing without getting your passport physically to a consulate somewhere, having it spend time there, and then getting it back. They're not just after the money, they want to make a point with "inconveniente máximo".

They are the ONLY COUNTRY in South America that does this (other than Suriname).
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Do Brazilians need a visa to visit the US? If they do, then the described procedure for US citizens to visit Brazil is indeed reciprocity.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Do Brazilians need a visa to visit the US? If they do, then the described procedure for US citizens to visit Brazil is indeed reciprocity.
Well, not really. The US is trying to solve a specific problem that is almost certainly not a problem for Brazil, namely citizens of the other country intending to overstay a visa-free period, possibly to work. It's why the US doesn't require a visa for citizens of W Europe, Singapore, Japan etc. but does require one for E Europe, most of S America, etc. even though those places don't require visas for US citizens.

So it's kind of a false reciprocity.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes. Brazilians in the main need a US visa prior to traveling to the US if wanting to be lawfully admitted to the US.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Well, not really. The US is trying to solve a specific problem that is almost certainly not a problem for Brazil, namely citizens of the other country intending to overstay a visa-free period, possibly to work.
Perhaps it is perceived problem, and not a real one? Brazilians do not need a visa for Schengen, and still we do not have a big problem with Brazilians working or staying illegally in Western Europe.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Perhaps it is perceived problem, and not a real one? Brazilians do not need a visa for Schengen, and still we do not have a big problem with Brazilians working or staying illegally in Western Europe.
Possibly, although maybe the US is easier to get to and blend into than W Europe. But you're right, it sure seems (anecdotally) as if Brazil, Argentina and Chile would pose less of a problem with this than the rest of S America.

So which is it easier to get in Amsterdam these days, feijoada or rijsttafel?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Possibly, although maybe the US is easier to get to and blend into than W Europe. But you're right, it sure seems (anecdotally) as if Brazil, Argentina and Chile would pose less of a problem with this than the rest of S America.
My flights between Brazil and Europe are cheaper than my flights between Brazil and the US. And my flights between Brazil and Europe via the US have been cheaper than even my US-Europe trips. Go figure.

I have Brazilian friends in the EU; they "blend into Western Europe" just as well as they "blend into the US".

The major difference is that a lot of rather basic services are barely accessible if you are an undocumented resident in some parts of Europe. In violation of law sometimes, even so-called "liberal" Sweden had pretty much made it difficult or impossible for children to attend primary school or to get basic health check-ups if the parent(s) and child weren't all registered with the government as lawfully-present/-admitted residents. In some case, this led to rather ridiculous situations where a child was a citizen of no country and living only in Sweden but attending school or getting a basic health check-up would result in the child and/or parents ending up fenced into camps of some sort. This was sort of fixed within the past year or two, but it may not have been completely fixed given that some municipalities' authorities may be rather slow learners or refuseniks. The way to reach that kind of "protected" system is to create a Big Brother-worthy population register of everyone and everything in the country in a way that is so very anti-American. Oh wait, we're getting there with the use of the SSN and the ACA "tax"/purchase-mandate.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Israel (full strip search )
Iraq
Afghanistan
Indonesia (at the time of East/West Timor independence business)
Lebanon (once recently had a real going-over because I had a passport full of visa stamps from places like Iraq, Afghanistan etc) Other than that has been fine.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Israel (full strip search )
Iraq
Afghanistan
Indonesia (at the time of East/West Timor independence business)
Lebanon (once recently had a real going-over because I had a passport full of visa stamps from places like Iraq, Afghanistan etc) Other than that has been fine.
Israel -- depends on who you are (thorough profiling, which I believe is justified in their case)
Indonesia -- no problem these days, although I used to be regularly asked for a $50 bribe for entry with an existing visa (which I politely refused to pay), until they instituted VoA
Afghanistan -- no problem, but then I was there in 2005 before things got bad again
Lebanon -- at the Syrian land border maybe, but not at BEY (before the Syrian "troubles")
Iraq -- no problem in friendly Kurdistan; I've never been to the rest; what do they do to you on entry at Baghdad airport?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It's why the US doesn't require a visa for citizens of W Europe, Singapore, Japan etc. but does require one for E Europe, most of S America, etc. even though those places don't require visas for US citizens.

So it's kind of a false reciprocity.
Not at all false. Brazil seem to apply the same rules toward US citizens as the US applies towards Brazilian citizens. It's just not nice to be on the receiving end of the same rules, which might be a novel experience to US travellers.

As you say, some countries do provide unilateral visa-waiver travel to US citizens, for which said travellers should be grateful.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:14 am
Suspended

As you say, some countries do provide unilateral visa-waiver travel to US citizens, for which said travellers should be grateful.
The grateful party should be the receiving state and its residents, as the hosting nation benefits from increased export revenue and higher earnings that are a direct result of foreign visitors.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:28 am

Not at all false. Brazil seem to apply the same rules toward US citizens as the US applies towards Brazilian citizens. It's just not nice to be on the receiving end of the same rules, which might be a novel experience to US travellers.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Countries should have a reason for requiring visas other than just a show of government authority. Reasons can be security or economic related. This is not just a US thing. It's for that reason that Schengen visas are required for many countries that don't themselves require visas for w Europeans. It's not a symmetric situation.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
"I have been cursed at a Chinese border. In Dubai, my passport was studied by three veiled women for over an hour and my suitcase completely dismembered. In the Philippines I had to bribe someone in order to get my visa extended for a few days. Borders, they can be tough, especially in countries known for corruption."

But never, ever, will I return to the United States of America.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
But never, ever, will I return to the United States of America.
Yeesh, nasty experience. And I definitely avoided Canada for awhile after the multi-hour Ottawa airport experience described in my post #16 above (they didn't even have the flimsy excuse of a Yemen stamp to point to). I thought, "If they really dislike me coming that much, there are plenty of other places to go."

But after a few years, I decided the country was too great and there was too much to explore up there for the actions of a couple of provincial-outlook a**holes to discourage me from looking around. So I got over it, and am glad I did.

Last edited by AlreadyThere; Oct 15, 2013 at 10:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.