Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

PVD announcement: "All are welcome to join TSA for a moment of silence..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

"PVD announcement: "Please join TSA this morning at 8:46 for a moment of silence at the TSA check point."

Just announced at PVD. We're waiting for our first flight on what will be a long day of flying for us.

I'm well aware it's September 11.

I have mixed feelings about the announcement.

IMHO it is being made with good intentions.

I will be interested to learn if this is a TSA-wide initiative and also the opinions of others.

Edited to add: To follow up, I returned to the check point while Mrs. Fredd made sure that our luggage was not left unattended.

There were no announcements, there weren't that many others who had shown up, and there was a brief bowing of heads before business resumed at the check point.

Last edited by Fredd; Sep 11, 2013 at 7:01 am
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I'm all for a moment of silence, but I wouldn't join TSA for anything
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Fredd
"PVD announcement: "Please join TSA this morning at 8:46 for a moment of silence at the TSA check point."

Just announced at PVD. We're waiting for our first flight on what will be a long day of flying for us.

I'm well aware it's September 11.

I have mixed feelings about the announcement.

IMHO it is being made with good intentions.

I will be interested to learn if this is a TSA-wide initiative and also the opinions of others.

Edited to add: To follow up, I returned to the check point while Mrs. Fredd made sure that our luggage was not left unattended.

There were no announcements, there weren't that many others who had shown up, and there was a brief bowing of heads before business resumed at the check point.
I am not certain if this is a TSA wide thing, but many airports do this every year at 0846, with or without TSA participation. Since it was an commercial aviation based attack, it is normal for aviation sectors to have some form of remembrance. GSO had a Moment of Silence today, just a simple offer to join them in remembering, some folks stood and bowed their heads, others continued on like it was any other day - a gesture that was IMHO entirely appropriate.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
may I assume that TDCs will refrain from their "State Your Name" nonsense at 8:46 (and if so, how will we ever be safe ?)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I want to say this, and it may just be me. If it is that is fine.

I do not think that perpetual grief and its observance is good.

It recalls the pain and the anguish without any effort to move past the long ago moment. At some point we really do need to put the past behind us.

That said, if we want to commemorate the bravery exhibited on Flight 93 or by the first responders that without regard for their own safety ran up those stairwells to their death, then we should do so. But, let's not honor them with shows of grief or sadness, but let's honor them in ways that seek to lift our spirits and encourages us to emulate their bravery if and when the need arises.

Let us honor their courage more than mourn their loss.

For those with personal losses, it is entirely appropriate to remember the sadness of that day. It is not those to which I refer.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

It recalls the pain and the anguish without any effort to move past the long ago moment. At some point we really do need to put the past behind us.

This is what keeps the TSA in business.

That said, if we want to commemorate the bravery exhibited on Flight 93 or by the first responders that without regard for their own safety ran up those stairwells to their death, then we should do so. But, let's not honor them with shows of grief or sadness, but let's honor them in ways that seek to lift our spirits and encourages us to emulate their bravery if and when the need arises.

Let us honor their courage more than mourn their loss.

For those with personal losses, it is entirely appropriate to remember the sadness of that day. It is not those to which I refer.
Exactly... and I would add that we don't need the government's help -- especially the TSA's -- because their motivation for reminding us (constantly) is completely different than yours.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I'm all for a moment of silence, but I wouldn't join TSA for anything
I would have been tempted to applaud and yell "Bravo!" at the end of the moment of silence.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Was a moment of silence called for by the government on December 7, 1953?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by N965VJ
It's funny you mention that. My first thought when I saw this thread was to wonder how long people commemorated Pearl Harbor in such a public manner.

I have no feelings one way or the other on the OP's post. It's fine, I guess. People can do what they want. But what bothers me is what was mentioned upthread: There's money in keeping the populace scared. That seems to be DHS's real mission.

Mike
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
It's funny you mention that. My first thought when I saw this thread was to wonder how long people commemorated Pearl Harbor in such a public manner...
Dare I suggest my parents' generation was made of sterner stuff?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Fredd
Dare I suggest my parents' generation was made of sterner stuff?
I'll give us the benefit of the doubt. Back then, there simply weren't as many media outfits and ways of conveying information as there are now.

I guess another point is that the threat caused by Pearl Harbor was defeated. There was no bogeyman to keep around producing increases to a department's budget. We've still got the bad guys hiding behind every rock, waiting to get us.

It's worth noting that the cities in which terrorist attacks have taken place bounced back pretty quickly. While the Marathon bombings in Boston didn't create nearly the devastation that 9/11 did, both cities reacted admirably. We mourned our loss and will no doubt remember them next year in Boston on Marathon Day, but we have moved on. We're not using those events to scare the crap out of citizens.

Mike
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:01 pm

While the Marathon bombings in Boston didn't create nearly the devastation that 9/11 did, both cities reacted admirably. We mourned our loss and will no doubt remember them next year in Boston on Marathon Day, but we have moved on. We're not using those events to scare the crap out of citizens.
Really? Did you miss the State Police protection racket that forced at least one group to cancel its Hatch Shell event? And the checkpoints for the July 4 concert and for the classical concerts over the summer at the Hatch Shell?

“It’s not lost on us the Esplanade was the stated original target of the Marathon bombers,” said State Police spokesman David Procopio. State Police, he said, aim to take reasonable, balanced measures to ensure safety on the Esplanade without affecting the events. “Our goal is preserve the flavor of these events. We don’t want to create an armed camp.”

Procopio said India Day’s security plan called for 27 troopers, including members of the bomb squad, K-9, and marine units, paid for 7˝ hours. Because those are specialized units, troopers assigned to work the shift are paid an overtime rate of $73 an hour, rather than the $40 per hour paid for a detail assignment. Increased costs are passed on to event organizers.
And do you really think that marathon spectators will be allowed unfettered access to anywhere near the finish line or Boylston Street next April?

The city may have moved on and Boylston Street may be humming with activity once again, but the State Police and other authority figures have not let an opportunity go by to remind us of the dire threat we face daily.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saulblum
Really? Did you miss the State Police protection racket that forced at least one group to cancel its Hatch Shell event? And the checkpoints for the July 4 concert and for the classical concerts over the summer at the Hatch Shell?

And do you really think that marathon spectators will be allowed unfettered access to anywhere near the finish line or Boylston Street next April?

The city may have moved on and Boylston Street may be humming with activity once again, but the State Police and other authority figures have not let an opportunity go by to remind us of the dire threat we face daily.
Let's not forget the million or so people that were held under virtual house arrest without due process.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:13 pm

I'll give us the benefit of the doubt. Back then, there simply weren't as many media outfits and ways of conveying information as there are now.

I guess another point is that the threat caused by Pearl Harbor was defeated. There was no bogeyman to keep around producing increases to a department's budget. We've still got the bad guys hiding behind every rock, waiting to get us.

It's worth noting that the cities in which terrorist attacks have taken place bounced back pretty quickly. While the Marathon bombings in Boston didn't create nearly the devastation that 9/11 did, both cities reacted admirably. We mourned our loss and will no doubt remember them next year in Boston on Marathon Day, but we have moved on. We're not using those events to scare the crap out of citizens.

Mike
12 years after Pearl Harbor, we did have a bogey man that was leading to internal repression and vastly increased government spending. The "Red Scare" and "Tailgunner Joe" . . .
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

It's not just you. I agree completely.
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
This is what keeps the TSA in business.

Exactly... and I would add that we don't need the government's help -- especially the TSA's -- because their motivation for reminding us (constantly) is completely different than yours.
+1e6
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Everyone thinks their achievements will be remembered forever:
Originally Posted by Henry V, 25 October 1415, as channeled by Billy Shakespeare
This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that shall live this day, and see old age, will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
This story shall the good man teach his son; and Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remember'd
;
When was the last time you commemorated Henry's victory at Agincourt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.