Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

GAO Report: TSA screeners sleeping and letting friends slide past

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GAO Report: TSA screeners sleeping and letting friends slide past

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
CNN is reporting the GAO study more bluntly.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/travel...uct/index.html
A new government report says misconduct by Transportation Security Administration workers has increased more than 26% in the last three years.

John S. Pistole was confirmed as the Transportation Security Administration's ( TSA) fifth Administrator in July 2010

A clear message to my way of thinking.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Saw on the CBS news this morning a commentary that isn't linked much in print yet.

CBS News travel editor Peter Greenberg discusses these findings on "CBS This Morning."

Also: http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50151919.html
I found it interesting that Peter Greenberg reported on this as he has been a big supporter of the TSA in the past, often excusing their misconduct. Perhaps he has begun to see the light.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I found it interesting that Peter Greenberg reported on this as he has been a big supporter of the TSA in the past, often excusing their misconduct. Perhaps he has begun to see the light.
Doubtful.

I'm actually surprised he didn't do a puff piece on the new TSA Instagram feed that supposedly will educate the public (just like the blog does).

Except it's all about weapons (including forgotten ones) and nothing about the majority of confiscated items, which are innocent things that people often know they have and can't believe are not allowed.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Report: TSA employee misconduct up 26% in 3 years

So it shouldn't come as any surprise that a new Government Accountability Office report, citing a 26% increase in misconduct among TSA employees between 2010 and 2012, is striking a nerve with some travelers who've had to endure the shoeless, beltless shuffle on the trip through security.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/travel...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
My favorite part:

The report details one case of a TSA agent suspended for seven days after trying to carry a relative's bag past security without screening. A supervisor interceded and the bag was found to contain "numerous prohibited items," according to the GAO report. It didn't say what the items were.
I bet they sent him to bed without dessert, also. Should've been terminated on the spot.

Mike
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
My favorite part:

I bet they sent him to bed without dessert, also. Should've been terminated on the spot.

Mike
He should have been arrested and prosecuted.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I like the NBC News headline a little bit better:

"Stop the napping; TSA caught sleeping on the job" and quoted the same stats as the CNN report. Here is the best gem from the NBC article:

The chairman of a congressional subcommittee on oversight and management efficiency Wednesday called on the Transportation Security Administration to crack down on “the napping, the stealing, the tardiness, and the disrespect” a day after a watchdog’s report revealed a spike in TSA misconduct.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...n-the-job?lite
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"we'd appreciate it if you'd cut down on the stealing."

Terminate this disgusting, un-American agency!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Sadly, this entire fiasco comes as no surprise at all to those of you who fly a lot, or to those of us who pay attention to those of you who fly a lot.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
CNN is reporting the GAO study more bluntly.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/31/travel...uct/index.html
Originally Posted by CNN
"Transportation security officers have an undeniably hard job and the overwhelming majority of them conduct themselves honorably and in accordance with TSA protocols," Rep. Cedric Richardson, D-Louisiana, said during Wednesday's hearing.
I deny it. These buffoons stand around most of the time. When they actually do something, it's looking at a screen (what, like 2% of the time), reading an ID (like 3% of the time), or barking at people (~70% of the time). The balance is apparently sleeping on the job or showing up late.

Undeniably hard job? Seriously?!?!?! I call total and utter BS. Looking at the physical condition of the average clerk will show you they certainly aren't working hard. Listenign to them shows that they certainly aren't thinking very hard. What's left? Staying awake? Oh boo friggin hoo.

Originally Posted by CNN
"Transportation security officers have an undeniably hard job and the overwhelming majority of them conduct themselves honorably and in accordance with TSA protocols," Rep. Cedric Richardson, D-Louisiana, said during Wednesday's hearing.
Still BS (I know it's the same quote). IMO, Mica is right on the money:

Originally Posted by Senator Mica
"There's not even a way to properly report some of the offenses, so this may be just the tip of the iceberg of some of the offenses," he said.
+1,000,000. Most of the BS goes unreported.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm shocked its not a higher percentage
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
My favorite quote (from the article posted on NBC News

Originally Posted by nbcnews.com
Thirty-two percent of the cases involved problems with workers showing up for their jobs, according to the report, and 20 percent had to do with security and screening.
I would bet that some folks here would say that 100% of the cases involved problems with the workers showing up for their jobs.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:17 am

MSNBC blaming it all on TSA clerks being "underpaid."

Their solution is to throw more money at the problem.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I doubt that the misconduct is up, they are probably just doing a better job of measuring it. That could actually lead to some improvements.

And don't worry, Sheila Jackson Lee is here to save the day.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I doubt that the misconduct is up, they are probably just doing a better job of measuring it. That could actually lead to some improvements.

And don't worry, Sheila Jackson Lee is here to save the day.
Who is doing a better job of measuring, the TSA or the GAO? The report certainly doesn't indicate that the TSA is doing a better job; it says the TSA is ignoring misconduct or not dealing with it sufficiently.

I do think that screeners take their lead from the Administrator, Pistole. He lies to and defies his bosses. His underlings are just following his lead.

TSA rots from the top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.