Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Sun Sentinel: 12,000 TSA TSOs are military veterans

Old Jul 20, 13, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

The Sun Sentinel's Ken Kaye uncovers some interesting details about TSA's workforce:

Sun Sentinel:
Vets continue terrorism fight, only now with TSA

6:39 p.m. EDT, July 3, 2013

A short quote:
More than 12,000 Transportation Security Administration security officers nationwide are military veterans, about a quarter of the force. That includes more than 300 veterans at South Florida's three main airports.

Many said their military stints prompted them to work for the TSA, while others simply wanted to fight the threat of terrorism.

and
Many veterans consider working for the TSA an extension of their military service.

"I'm just a person who's always served his country. That's how I was brought up," said Steve Randerson, TSA assistant federal security director for law enforcement at Palm Beach International Airport.
I bet this leads to some interesting dynamics within the agency.
Old Jul 21, 13, 9:46 am

Programs: Spoiled by Skywards
So they have a pool of applicants conditioned to accept bureaucratic government mid-level management BS at face value.

It's really sad, that TSA is the only option for some good veterans. One of my favorite TSA clerks is a Navy veteran. He's told me quite candidly, the government lied to every sailor on his sub about the dangers of radiation exposure, he expected the same with TSA and the NoS.
Old Jul 21, 13, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a shame they all forgot the concepts of honor and integrity.
Old Jul 21, 13, 11:35 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And how many TSO's have felony convictions for say drug possession, theft, spousal abuse and various sexual offenses?
Old Jul 21, 13, 11:55 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
It's a shame they all forgot the concepts of honor and integrity.
Agreed. Or perhaps were admitted without those qualifications.
Old Jul 21, 13, 12:00 pm

I wonder how they feel about the oaths they took upon entering the military to "support and defend the Constitution"
Old Jul 21, 13, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
It does explain a lot about the mindless and blind, "I"m just following orders" excuse and practices TSA engages in though, along with the abject paranoia and ignoring of facts or practical realities when designing their programmes. Egregious costs, poor management, pitiful control and discipline, and a propensity to hide or otherwise attempt to avoid responsibility for crimes committed by the employees? Yup, sounds entirely like a organization dominated by and run along the lines of the US military.
Old Jul 21, 13, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost View Post
It does explain a lot about the mindless and blind, "I"m just following orders" excuse and practices TSA engages in though, along with the abject paranoia and ignoring of facts or practical realities when designing their programmes.
Militaries all over the world now know that the excuse "I was just following orders" doesn't hold up.
Old Jul 21, 13, 5:58 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
That seems lower than what the TSA often spew in their training propaganda I've seen .

I thought there were 60,000 sec-o's in TSA so 12k vets would be closer to a fifth and not a fourth of total, no?
Old Jul 21, 13, 7:38 pm

Programs: Spoiled by Skywards
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Militaries all over the world now know that the excuse "I was just following orders" doesn't hold up.
Though sadly that's still the excuse we hear from front line TSA personnel.

Even Nuremberg established that crimes are committed by men not by abstract entities.
Old Jul 21, 13, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach View Post
Though sadly that's still the excuse we hear from front line TSA personnel.

Even Nuremberg established that crimes are committed by men not by abstract entities.
That's why I hope many TSA employees are prosecuted vigorously when society wakes up and realizes that sexual assault committed by acquiescence under duress is still sexual assault. And a serious felony at that. Civil lawsuits should proceed similarly against these sexual predators.
Old Jul 22, 13, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Eyecue's tag line is somewhat ironic then, isn't it?
Old Jul 22, 13, 7:01 am

Veteran bashing

What a new low, bashing veterans. Have anything to say about how many disabled veterans that are working for the TSA? Or perhaps all of the retired cops and fireman working the the same agency? What about those in the Guard/Reserve who are still rotating to Afghanistan?
Old Jul 22, 13, 8:05 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by tsadude1 View Post
What a new low, bashing veterans. Have anything to say about how many disabled veterans that are working for the TSA? Or perhaps all of the retired cops and fireman working the the same agency? What about those in the Guard/Reserve who are still rotating to Afghanistan?
I am ashamed to admit that my country has a long and rich history of ignoring, marginalizing, and mistreating its veterans.

However, that being said, I also acknowledge that the military mindset of instant, unquestioning, mindless obedience under any circumstances, which is great for maintaining discipline and motivating troops to charge at people who are trying to kill them, is completely incompatible with any civilian agency, particularly one like TSA whose primary responsibilities require continuous interaction with the public.

I have great respect for anyone who served, whether in combat or in a support role in Nowheresville USA. However, I find the military attitude of SHUT UP AND OBEY ME NOW to be abhorant, and incompatible with civilian life.

So, while I disagree with a lot of the vet bashing that goes on in FT, I have no respect at all for TSA as an organization, and none for any TSO who doesn't know or deliberately ignores the SOP he's supposed to be following and engages in illegal, imoral, unethical, rude, crude, obnoxious, or abusive behavior, whether they're a vet or not.
Old Jul 22, 13, 9:01 am

Well from my perspective, many of my my fellow vets work through their breaks and lunches without complaining and are able to communicate clearly and work very effectively as a team. Many work off the clock to make sure that plans are in place for the next day, week, or month. Many times we are bashed by our own non vet coworkers for being suck ups and falsely accused of being favored when receiving higher evaluation ratings for putting for a honest effort to make things happen. We are not mindless killers and are often tactfully informing our leaders of what the SOP does state which results in their panty's wading up, but they then realize we are actually saving their arse.

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
I am ashamed to admit that my country has a long and rich history of ignoring, marginalizing, and mistreating its veterans.

However, that being said, I also acknowledge that the military mindset of instant, unquestioning, mindless obedience under any circumstances, which is great for maintaining discipline and motivating troops to charge at people who are trying to kill them, is completely incompatible with any civilian agency, particularly one like TSA whose primary responsibilities require continuous interaction with the public.

I have great respect for anyone who served, whether in combat or in a support role in Nowheresville USA. However, I find the military attitude of SHUT UP AND OBEY ME NOW to be abhorant, and incompatible with civilian life.

So, while I disagree with a lot of the vet bashing that goes on in FT, I have no respect at all for TSA as an organization, and none for any TSO who doesn't know or deliberately ignores the SOP he's supposed to be following and engages in illegal, imoral, unethical, rude, crude, obnoxious, or abusive behavior, whether they're a vet or not.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: