Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

detained for trying to "bribe" a TSA agent.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

detained for trying to "bribe" a TSA agent.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:06 am

The way the story is told, OP cleared security and was not subject to any further screening (arguably he is subject to it at any point in the airport though).

So it's not clear how that would be a bribe.

If the TSA agent cannot reconcile that, he may have poor decision making ability. Or just have it in for the OP and thus anger management issues.

Armchair Referee Ruling: Big-headed, previously denied employment as a mall security guard, TSA agent flaunting his superpowers
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by chollie
Which terminal was this at?

Supposedly TSA got rid of the wands when the NoSs were installed...
Yes, this is a very critical point. It would be interesting if wands are coming back, or this is a rogue check point.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mre5765
Originally Posted by chollie
Which terminal was this at?

Supposedly TSA got rid of the wands when the NoSs were installed...
Yes, this is a very critical point. It would be interesting if wands are coming back, or this is a rogue check point.
Could it be that it was a paddle shaped HHMD and not a true tubular shaped wand as the HHMD's are still used
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DBCme
The way the story is told, OP cleared security and was not subject to any further screening (arguably he is subject to it at any point in the airport though).

So it's not clear how that would be a bribe.

If the TSA agent cannot reconcile that, he may have poor decision making ability. Or just have it in for the OP and thus anger management issues.

Armchair Referee Ruling: Big-headed, previously denied employment as a mall security guard, TSA agent flaunting his superpowers
Bolding above mine.

In re the bolded phrase, the person hired on to TSA. I think that alone says something about their decision making ability.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by goalie
Actually, the TSO should have simply ignored the comment, let the pax go on their way and placed the coins wherever all the other left behind coins get placed by TSO's. Yes, the pax (as they noted) should have held their tongue but so should have the TSO
Originally Posted by harvyk
Well that was poorly handled by the TSA officer, surely all the officer needed to say was "thank you very much sir, but I'm not allow to keep tips, even small ones, please take the money back" and there would have been no problems. Instead they escalated a situation (which I have noticed is not uncommon for US law officers)
This. Seriously, why did the TSO have to get started?

Oh yeah, because of this...

Originally Posted by PTravel
The only thing the OP did wrong, as far as the TSOs are concerned, is to not show sufficient respect for their "authoritah." These TSOs were officious, petty martinets, anxious to flex power they did not have.
And I LOVE the use of the word "martinets" here. As Sideshow Bob would say, it's le mot juste.

Mike
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Hmmm I wonder how this would play out... Walk up to the security checkpoint - wink at the TSA individual - smile and whisper with subtle coyness filled with promise, "I'll let you fondle me if you let me through..."
Since none of them are attractive, that would be hard to say. But I would be afraid of the line of them that would show up making it impossible to ever get to the gate

Lesson learned is to talk with them as little as possible
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by mikeef
This. Seriously, why did the TSO have to get started?

Oh yeah, because of this...

And I LOVE the use of the word "martinets" here. As Sideshow Bob would say, it's le mot juste.

Mike
I don't care what Sideshow Bob says on anything. He's a pompous, overstuffed, pseudo-intellectual windbag with delusions of grandeur.

But I desperately want to know what Sideshow Mel would say about the use of the word "martinets".

And, to a slightly lesser extent, I'm curious about Sideshow LukePerry's opinion.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
Since hand wands haven't been routinely used for over a couple of years now, this is a very interesting incident. What happened to the old divest and repeat option before a hand wanding?

Last edited by NextTrip; Jul 7, 2013 at 2:54 am
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I don't care what Sideshow Bob says on anything. He's a pompous, overstuffed, pseudo-intellectual windbag with delusions of grandeur.

But I desperately want to know what Sideshow Mel would say about the use of the word "martinets".

And, to a slightly lesser extent, I'm curious about Sideshow LukePerry's opinion.
Sideshow Luke Perry would not be at the scene. As you well know, he was shot out of a cannon, which would clearly be prohibited at the checkpoint.

I find your comments about Sideshow Bob demeaning and hurtful. Anyone who can sing the entire score of the H.M.S. Pinafore after a ride through a cactus patch and being attacked by multiple rakes is okay in my book.

Mike
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by kakapo24
Flying out of LAX last week. I was tired and having a bad day as it was the third airport and hence 3rd TSA encounter.

I had bought a drink shortly before going though security and put the change in my back pocket (about 4 bucks of coins).

Coat off, shirt off, belt off yet again, though the metal detector.... Beep, beep.

The TSA agent wands my down. The only thing that's picked up is the coins, which I take out, and put on the counter.

Despite that there is now nothing on picked up the wand he insists I walk back through the metal detector.

I then go to get my stuff from the x-ray machine and the TSA says don't forget your coins.

So I say to him " keep it, consider it a tip" in a moderately sarcastic tone.

By the time I get my belt and shoes on there is two other TSA officers and some kind of security officer and they threaten to detain me and call to police for trying to "bribe a public officer".

After about 5 minutes having my ID and boarding pass examined, of apologizing and being polite they let me on my way.

Yes I know it was my fault, and will hold my tongue in the future.
That is exactly what they want you to do.

I wound up talking to a suit after I told the TSO and the two striper that they should have watched the documentary about Nazi Germany to get tips on how to do their jobs better
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DIFIN
That is exactly what they want you to do.

I wound up talking to a suit after I told the TSO and the two striper that they should have watched the documentary about Nazi Germany to get tips on how to do their jobs better
Talked to the suit by choice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.