Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting TSO Behavior RDU 6/6/13

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
Interesting TSO Behavior RDU 6/6/13

Last Thurs, while waiting for my bag at baggage claim, I observed 3 TSOs in the claim area.

A pair were standing about 6 feet from the end of my carosel. I thought they might be BDOs, but they were looking to the left of where the people were gathered and chatting. Just standing in one spot, chatting. They did, however, leave when all the bags were claimed and the area cleared. (Mine was misplaced, so I was there til the bitter end).

A couple of minutes after I noticed the pair, I saw a single TSO, gloved, examine the area. By that, I mean:
- lifting the lid and peering into trash and recycling bins
- moving the leaves around and peering into the potted plants
- going into an alcove that houses a fire extinguisher and maybe a defibrillator

The pair and the single did not acknowledge each other, even though they were only a few feet apart.

I've spent some time in the claim area and never seen any TSA staff there. Looked like 2 make work projects for sure!

Still wondering why in the heck, if there was a suspicion of something bad hidden in the potted plant, the dude was going after it with gloved hands and a passel of passengers nearby! Gloves must be made of the same material the the garbage cans that make explosive toiletries inert are made of....
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ediemac1
Last Thurs, while waiting for my bag at baggage claim, I observed 3 TSOs in the claim area.

A pair were standing about 6 feet from the end of my carosel. I thought they might be BDOs, but they were looking to the left of where the people were gathered and chatting. Just standing in one spot, chatting. They did, however, leave when all the bags were claimed and the area cleared. (Mine was misplaced, so I was there til the bitter end).

A couple of minutes after I noticed the pair, I saw a single TSO, gloved, examine the area. By that, I mean:
- lifting the lid and peering into trash and recycling bins
- moving the leaves around and peering into the potted plants
- going into an alcove that houses a fire extinguisher and maybe a defibrillator

The pair and the single did not acknowledge each other, even though they were only a few feet apart.

I've spent some time in the claim area and never seen any TSA staff there. Looked like 2 make work projects for sure!

Still wondering why in the heck, if there was a suspicion of something bad hidden in the potted plant, the dude was going after it with gloved hands and a passel of passengers nearby! Gloves must be made of the same material the the garbage cans that make explosive toiletries inert are made of....
It is the gloves and the material used in the bags on Warehouse 13. He was looking for artifacts.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
Well, he most certainly did not look like Pete!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by ediemac1
Well, he most certainly did not look like Pete!
He was probably wearing something like Bela Lugosi's belt or carrying Ian Flemming's pen or something that allowed him to alter his appearance at will.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:47 am

Diagnosis: Trying to look important to justify their jobs.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: TSA
The potted plants in GSO are often a place of tossing items on the prohibs list, we have found several variations of weapons, to include functioning guns (LEO handled that one), knives and other things that not allowed through the checkpoints. I look through the plants here (especially near the checkpoints) on a somewhat regular basis just to make certain that no weapons are left for grabby kid hands to get.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Actually, I'd rather they do this than waste time re-checking already cleared bags/people at yet more stupid gate checks...
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by gsoltso
The potted plants in GSO are often a place of tossing items on the prohibs list, we have found several variations of weapons, to include functioning guns (LEO handled that one), knives and other things that not allowed through the checkpoints. I look through the plants here (especially near the checkpoints) on a somewhat regular basis just to make certain that no weapons are left for grabby kid hands to get.
Which would be much less of a problem if the US had amnesty bins as they do in many other civilized places with strict controls certain items. Singapore comes to mind, with amnesty bins directly under large signs that say "Death to drug traffickers"
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Now my question, do you get to keep the knives ?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This image from my formative years comes to mind:

Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:44 pm

Thread title might should instead be: "tsa manages something marginally useful"
Randomly looking into hiding areas like that isn't actually a bad idea, doesn't intrude on ANYONE's rights or privacy and may actually deter or in the worst case, find a potentially destructive device.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:28 pm

The incentives of this story interest me. Is there a penalty of some type for discovery at the checkpoint, or is the passenger allowed to mail the item home? If the former, the passenger is incented to put the item in a potted plant, where you say it poses a danger to others. Allowing the passenger to mail the item home removes the incentive, and creates a safer world for us all.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Note to self: Start checking the potted plants on the way OUT of the airport.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
I'm astonished that potted plants aren't a prohibited item near checkpoints, since they can and HAVE been used to stash weapons. Remember the Portland incident?

Out of concern for the children, IF NOTHING ELSE, why, O why does DHS allow potted plants and trash cans to be placed near the checkpoint?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
I'm astonished that potted plants aren't a prohibited item near checkpoints, since they can and HAVE been used to stash weapons. Remember the Portland incident?

Out of concern for the children, IF NOTHING ELSE, why, O why does DHS allow potted plants and trash cans to be placed near the checkpoint?
Gotta have the dust bins, where else would TSA put the binary liquid bombs confiscated at the checkpoint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.