Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger jailed over pressure cooker

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Passenger jailed over pressure cooker

According to the news report, he also had passport problems...

http://www.wlwt.com/news/national/pa...k/-/index.html
Old May 13, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Decades ago, a woman hijacked a plane with a pressure cooker. Security allowed it on because they could see that it was just a (presumably empty) pressure cooker. But when the plane was in the air and she held it up and announced that it was a bomb, no one wanted to argue.
Old May 13, 2013, 6:10 pm

""Initially, he said that he brought the pressure cooker for his nephew because pressure cookers are not sold in America," the complaint said." I believe it. Pressure cookers are the only stove top pot in Arab countries and I have seen them schlep around big items like that in from home country. I dont know why this is even made into a big deal. He had probably an innocent passport issue and an innocent kitchen implement (I guess).
Old May 13, 2013, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by fleef
""Initially, he said that he brought the pressure cooker for his nephew because pressure cookers are not sold in America," the complaint said." I believe it. Pressure cookers are the only stove top pot in Arab countries and I have seen them schlep around big items like that in from home country. I dont know why this is even made into a big deal. He had probably an innocent passport issue and an innocent kitchen implement (I guess).
Agreed. Welcome to America - your cell is this way...
Old May 13, 2013, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They could be deported him. Just sent him back where he belongs. He didn't a page, but it was missing. Something is not right. He could be violating of the immigrations laws.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by fleef
The article linked does not say he was arrested for a pressure cooker. The article states that he was arrested for altering his passport and false statements. Pages missing from your passport is not an innocent passport issue.

FB
Old May 13, 2013, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sounds like this incident is what could be expected as part of the latest idiotic overreaction in the aftermath of the tragic Boston Marathon terrorist attack(s).

People have brought in pressure cookers from abroad quite routinely and there is nothing weird about it.

I've brought pressure cookers from India to the US and declared imported kitchen items on the customs form. The pressure cookers and their import are innocent.

Originally Posted by Firebug4
The article linked does not say he was arrested for a pressure cooker. The article states that he was arrested for altering his passport and false statements. Pages missing from your passport is not an innocent passport issue.

FB
Pages missing from a passport can be an innocent passport issue.

Have you never come across a passport where an innocent child has torn out a page?
Old May 13, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Exactly what false statement did he make that warrants his arrest on a felony charge of "false statements"? They say he "changed his story." First he said he brought a pressure cooker because you can't buy them in America. Then he corrected / clarified that to say that his nephew had actually bought one in America but it was cheap and/or of poor quality.

If they are arresting him for that, it's shameful and just seems like an overreaction to seeing an Arab with a pressure cooker and they wanted to lock the guy up at all costs, even though most uses of pressure cookers, even by Arabs, are perfectly lawful.

We have millions of visitors entering the country ever year who don't speak English as a first language, yet they may be subjected to intense questioning in English from CBP officers. Are we really going to arrest people for "false statements" for every minor variation in their story just because the person is doing or carrying something unpopular to CBP?

"Why are you visiting America?"
"I'm going to Disneyland."
"Where?"
"Orlando."
"Gotcha. That's Disney World. You're under arrest."
Old May 13, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
I'm so surprised that we still haven't outlawed any and all pressure cookers and put all the manufacturers out of business worldwide and classify them as core components for IED, plus further mandate that all currrent owners surrender them to the nearest Homeland Security office or risk fine and/or arrest ... yada yada.

So glad that when my nephew and his wife returned from their China trip in March, that they only purchased a non-pressure steamer with a ceramic inner core that only run on electricty, and that the outer "shell" is made of space-age hi-temp plastic parts. It "exited" mainland China w/o questions as carryons and CBP had no issues when they landed back home via JFK.

I am holding on to my stainless steel 16 oz. Starbuck travel mug that I bring along for trips, undoubtly it will be subject to extra inspection as for domestic travel, I only do carryons ...
Old May 13, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Are we really going to arrest people for "false statements" for every minor variation in their story just because the person is doing or carrying something unpopular to CBP?
It gives them a hook to arrest you if they think something is wrong.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alanR
It gives them a hook to arrest you if they think something is wrong.
I don't like the idea of federal law enforcement officers arresting people for any perceived inconsistency in something they say, just because the officer thinks something is wrong. As a U.S. citizen, this really makes me not want to answer any questions from law enforcement at any time. You can have the best of intentions and try to cooperate and end up being arrested for a "false statement" at the whim of an overzealous officer.
Old May 14, 2013, 4:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Stoopit is as stoopit duz and any guesses how quickly the TSA will jerk its "knee" and add pressure cookers* to the prohibited items list?

*well at least pressure cookers which can hold more than 3.4 ounces of liquids, gels and/or aerosols
Old May 14, 2013, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
I don't like the idea of federal law enforcement officers arresting people for any perceived inconsistency in something they say, just because the officer thinks something is wrong.
I agree totally. The quote in question was: "Initially, he said that he brought the pressure cooker for his nephew because pressure cookers are not sold in America."

And then: "But Hussain allegedly changed his story and said his nephew had purchased one in the United States that "was cheap" and broke after its first use, officers reported."

I mean, even the most mentally challenged among us should be able to recognize hyperbole. I went to buy a used car one time at a "lemon lot" in my hometown. My brother asked me afterwards if I had decided to purchase a car there. I said, "They didn't have any cars."

That meant that they didn't have any cars for ME.

Maybe Hussain meant to say that DECENT pressure cookers are not sold in America.

Either the CBP is really so stupid as not to recognize a figure of speech, or they had it out for him from the beginning. I don't see any other choices here.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
I agree totally. The quote in question was: "Initially, he said that he brought the pressure cooker for his nephew because pressure cookers are not sold in America."
That about as lame an explantion as I've heard in a long time.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't like the idea of federal law enforcement officers arresting people for any perceived inconsistency in something they say, just because the officer thinks something is wrong. As a U.S. citizen, this really makes me not want to answer any questions from law enforcement at any time. You can have the best of intentions and try to cooperate and end up being arrested for a "false statement" at the whim of an overzealous officer.
This is an example of why it may be best not to say much of anything to US federal, state, or local law enforcement.

This is also an example of why people should be allowed to AV record their own interactions or presence in the CBP-controlled arrivals halls too.

It will be interesting to see if the USA/DOJ decide to allocate further resources to this matter by prosecuting it. Unfortunately, a plea bargain settlement of sort may be the outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.