Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger jailed over pressure cooker

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jphripjah
33-year-old Hussain Al Khawahir, who was arrested May 11 and charged with giving false statements to federal agents and possessing an altered passport.
“Because Mr. Al Khawahir presented an improper passport and failed to answer questions candidly when he arrived in the United States, he will not be allowed to remain in the country.”
So charges are "dropped" but he is still guilty of them.

Last edited by Wally Bird; Jun 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm Reason: intemperate language
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
He's not guilty of a crime, he's just not suitable for entry. That's something CBP determines hundreds or thousands of times every day.
As offended as I am by his arrest for "false statements," I have no problems with this determination.

I wonder if he will sue Officer Wettle-Thompson for her overzealous arrest that led to him being needlessly locked up for a month. Do CBP officers carry professional liability insurance?

Last edited by jphripjah; Jun 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:24 pm

He's not guilty of a crime, he's just not suitable for entry. That's something CBP determines hundreds or thousands of times every day.
As offended as I am by his arrest for "false statements," I have no problems with this determination.

I wonder if he will sue Officer Wettle-Thompson for her overzealous arrest that led to him being needlessly locked up for a month. Do CBP officers carry professional liability insurance?
I have a problem with it because to me it smacks of saving face.

Not wanting to look foolish (again) for going ape at the mere sight of a (gasp!) pressure cooker, dismissing the charges saves having to explain in court how innocuous or confused answers got blown out of proportion. Letting him stay in the US would be tantamount to admitting they were wrong; something they would never do.

He can't sue; he's now just glad to be home and won't be coming back. Which makes a lot of people happy, I'm sure.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I have a problem with it because to me it smacks of saving face ... He can't sue; he's now just glad to be home and won't be coming back. Which makes a lot of people happy, I'm sure.
Like ^ +1

And I venture to say, likely one new name added to the No Fly List - blacklisted.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:53 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If he does file, it is a losing case; it wouldn't even make it to trial. These charges appear to be a post hoc justification for holding the guy subsequent to a decision to hold him to look into him and his pressure cooker as a reaction to the recent Boston 'man-made disaster'. But that doesn't mean that a clearly-established constitutional right was violated. Subjective motive plays no role in the Fourth Amendment analysis. If it was a deep fryer and the guy was from China with the exact same documents and answers, this probably wouldn't have happened. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong cooking impliment and fits the wrong profile.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It always cracks me up how some people will quote something like me asking why can't you buy a pressure cooker in America (since this person clearly said you could not) with totally unrelated stories to prove a point about their families pressure cooker, etc.

I don't care if you carry a pressure cooker in your luggage or not. Nor did I ever say you could not or should not.

The person in this case said they were not available in America when asked why he had it. That was a lie. He didn't say it had value to him, he didn't say it was his grandmothers, he didn't say it was in his family for years.

He had a passport with a page removed. He then said he didn't know how the page was removed, as the passport was locked in a box. He lied about the pressure cooker. He lied about the passport. But I'm sure some people will also have stories about how they locked their passport in a box and next time they went to use it pages were missing.

Gee, it's a shame that customs didn't just accept the fact that the passport elves cut the page out of his book in a locked box and that when he said pressure cookers were not available in America he really meant it was a family heirloom, handed to him from his grandmother made of special metal from a rock only in his native village and just wasn't lying about it all.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
And I venture to say, likely one new name added to the No Fly List - blacklisted.
Or two; the nephew as well because You Can't Be Too Careful.
Originally Posted by cordelli
It always cracks me up how some people will quote something like me asking why can't you buy a pressure cooker in America (since this person clearly said you could not)...
If you have a transcript of the interview, please share it with the rest of us.

If not then...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:15 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Or two; the nephew as well because You Can't Be Too Careful.
If you have a transcript of the interview, please share it with the rest of us.

If not then...
Oh give it a rest.

His lawyer has been doing tons of interviews, and not once has he disputed the claim that he said pressure cookers were not available in America. Indeed, his lawyer actually has said he should have been arrested

Howarth, Al Kwawahir's defense attorney, said he believes the government had no choice but to arrest his client given the information agents had when he entered the U.S.

"It's unfortunate that they couldn't clear it up more quickly," Howarth said, noting federal authorities have been cooperative. "The plan has not been, 'Let's go to war.' It's 'Let's see if we can straighten it out.' "

It's a shame that the only place this is apparently an issue, even with his own lawyer, is on Flyertalk.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:36 am

It's a shame that the only place this is apparently an issue, even with his own lawyer, is on Flyertalk.
Or maybe not.
“There’s no discrepancy — that’s garbage,” Howarth said of the government’s version of Al Khawahir’s story, adding his client merely corrected himself. “I’m afraid some overzealous agents were looking for anything. … I applaud their vigilance but not their common sense.”
According to Howarth, his client — a 33-year-old father of three children — did nothing wrong, but was scared and didn't know how to communicate because he doesn't speak English.
Lookit, we can exchange soundbites ad infinitum but that won't resolve what was actually said or how it was interpreted.

You're right, time to give it a rest as it's over and done; one way or another. We have all the details we're ever going to get .
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:15 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
It always cracks me up how some people will quote something like me asking why can't you buy a pressure cooker in America (since this person clearly said you could not) with totally unrelated stories to prove a point about their families pressure cooker, etc.

I don't care if you carry a pressure cooker in your luggage or not. Nor did I ever say you could not or should not.

The person in this case said they were not available in America when asked why he had it. That was a lie. He didn't say it had value to him, he didn't say it was his grandmothers, he didn't say it was in his family for years.

He had a passport with a page removed. He then said he didn't know how the page was removed, as the passport was locked in a box. He lied about the pressure cooker. He lied about the passport. But I'm sure some people will also have stories about how they locked their passport in a box and next time they went to use it pages were missing.

Gee, it's a shame that customs didn't just accept the fact that the passport elves cut the page out of his book in a locked box and that when he said pressure cookers were not available in America he really meant it was a family heirloom, handed to him from his grandmother made of special metal from a rock only in his native village and just wasn't lying about it all.
As much as you seem to want it to be this thread does not just revolve around you, nor are you the only one that gets to set its tone or direction. Believe it or not other people have engaged in the thread and even asked why someone would want to carry such items. That is what FT is for, such discussions.

BTW, As for the gentlement in question several interviews have noted he purportedly stated pressure cookers were "too expensive" in America. As Wally Bird noted it matters not because nothing else will probably come out about this case.

None of that changes the fact the government seems to have spoken ill of the man to belie possible fecklessness on their part...not shocked by that.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:05 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
As much as you seem to want it to be this thread does not just revolve around you,
Wow that's totally unnecessary. Not unexpected, but unnecessary.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:12 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Wow that's totally unnecessary. Not unexpected, but unnecessary...
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... as with the claim that he lied about his expired passport which he had along with a current passport with no page missing and no unauthorized alterations.

There is no evidence of his having lied about his passports; and any claim about lying about the pressure cooker is of doubtful merit given the lack of prosecutorial willingness to pursue charges of doubtful merit.

Don't worry, the CBP got its way anyway despite overreacting about a pressure cooker. The Saudi man lost a good chunk of money and had a bad experience to boot at that. I doubt his children are going to all be our national fans after the experience of their father -- and so the anti-virtuous cycle of irrational suspicion and perhaps worse will continue.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

I won't argue about the passport. It had pages removed, and I'm sure the man knew when how they were removed, whether he did it himself or whether it was done by some dodgy government in a country he entered or exited.I don't know whether he lied about it because the truth would have embarassed him (perhaps his wife ripped them out, or perhaps his kids ripped them out, which would have made him look like less of a man because he can't control his woman and his children), or because the truth would have implicated him in some terrorist plot to blow up a pressure cooker bomb at the World Series or Super Bowl.

However, the whole, "He lied about pressure cookers being available in America!" thing is utter nonsense, as far as I'm concerned.

All of the articles I've read state that the man's words were something along the lines of, "You can't get these in America." Morons assumed that he meant You can't get any kind of pressure cookers at all anywhere in America ever. But it's far more likely that what he meant was This particular brand or This particular model or This particular style of pressure cooker isn't available in America.

I have an Aussie friend who drives a car that runs on liquid propane. I once remarked to her, "We don't have those in America." Was I lying? Did I mean, "We don't have automobiles of any kind anywhere in America"? Or did I mean "We don't have cars that run on LPG in America." Hm... conundrum...

And even if he did mean that he thought that you couldn't get any kind of pressure cooker any where in America ever, why would anyone assume that's a lie and not simply a mistaken impression? I once tried to hand my credit card to the server at Ihop, even though you pay at the register instead of paying the server. Was I lying to the Ihop server about where you pay at Ihop? No; I was mistaken.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
And even if he did mean that he thought that you couldn't get any kind of pressure cooker any where in America ever, why would anyone assume that's a lie and not simply a mistaken impression? .
Because many a frontline CBP agent has never left the country (irony...) and fewer have to any places that are, should we say, "exotic"...like using a non-Latin alphabet.

There are good, cultured CBP agents who are well travelled and do a good job understanding foreigners. Many others, especially as the agency enlarged fairly quickly recently, that are drawn from a different pool of applicants. They just don't get the cultural mores and language needs of outsiders.

It is like how they deal with people that do not speak English. They are not deaf so yelling English at them will not help but some agents do it anyway and look like buffoons doing it.

Maybe if they all had to pass the foreign service exam before hiring it would help matters...or a scaled down version.

There is an organizational cultural that must change too (but it will not). For example, when I did my initial Global Entry interview 5 years ago, way back when it started at just three airports and the agents were just figuring the system out, I got all these lectures on how they were keeping the country safe from "the bad guys". The very first thing the agent said to me when I sat down and said how are you was 'Another day trying to keep the bad guys out of the country, that is what we do'.

I had been instantly approved and the actual interview was fairly short but I got at least ten minutes of anecdotes on the "War" they fight everyday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.