Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA dog bites woman in ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
I don't know jack about handling a dog, but as someone who owned a dog as a pet, if that dog ever bit somebody, the Very Last Place on Earth I would go a few minutes later with that dog would be back to the person the dog bit. Even if that dog and I were standing together as our nation's last and only defense against somebody trying to remove their artfully-concealed contraband from the airport to a rent-a-car.

What would possess the dog's handler to do this?
In one article the dog was described as being a "drug" and explosives dog. If the dog was trained to detect drugs the handler, a cop, might have been trying to see if the person was holding.

Either that or perhaps they just wanted to see if the dog wanted seconds.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
There are many pit bulls that are very child-friendly and make great family pets. Any dog can bite. Pit Bulls and other big breeds tend to get a bad reputation because those bites tend to cause more damage, due to the dog's size. However, smaller dogs tend to bite a lot, but because they don't cause a lot of tissue damage, they aren't as hated.

In at least one US city, labs, commonly considered a great family pet, accounted for most of the dog bites recently.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130131/NEWS/701319918
Considering Labs are the most popular breed, no real surprise. In my little part of suburbia, they are also the breed most likely to be permitted by their owners to wander off leash.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: IC RA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
In one article the dog was described as being a "drug" and explosives dog. If the dog was trained to detect drugs the handler, a cop, might have been trying to see if the person was holding.

I can guarantee that was a printing error. Nobody trains a dog to detect both explosives and drugs.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

I get that the dog may not have gotten it right the first time in terms of discovering whether the woman was actually carrying contraband. But, what I don't get is why the officer didn't call a colleague attached to a different dog to do the re-sniff after Fido decided to have an early lunch. I'm trying to get why it isn't common sense not to take a dog who bit somebody back to the scene of the crime.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
There are many pit bulls that are very child-friendly and make great family pets. Any dog can bite. Pit Bulls and other big breeds tend to get a bad reputation because those bites tend to cause more damage, due to the dog's size. However, smaller dogs tend to bite a lot, but because they don't cause a lot of tissue damage, they aren't as hated.

In at least one US city, labs, commonly considered a great family pet, accounted for most of the dog bites recently.

You're living in a place called Denial, Obfuscation and Misdirection.

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
I get that the dog may not have gotten it right the first time in terms of discovering whether the woman was actually carrying contraband. But, what I don't get is why the officer didn't call a colleague attached to a different dog to do the re-sniff after Fido decided to have an early lunch. I'm trying to get why it isn't common sense not to take a dog who bit somebody back to the scene of the crime.
Attacking the holder of drugs is not the alert signal for a drug-sniffing dog.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Your opinion ... have any facts to back your comment?
Old May 16, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Your opinion ... have any facts to back your comment?
Yes, I do. But then you'll simply reply that it was the owners and not the dogs.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CPT Trips
Considering Labs are the most popular breed, no real surprise. In my little part of suburbia, they are also the breed most likely to be permitted by their owners to wander off leash.
Same here, although I've not encountered any that aren't generally friendly. However, I usually smell like "dog," because I always seem to have at least a little bit of dog fur on me, so perhaps that's why I've not been bitten by one yet.

Small dogs also tend to bite far more than many other large dogs, but because their bites do less damage, people don't think much of it.
I am? Really? And here I thought I was living in PA, near MDT. Hm, does this mean I should change my address with my employer? Do I have to pay local taxes to Denial, Obfuscation, and Misdirection, or do they not collect local taxes?
Yes, I do. But then you'll simply reply that it was the owners and not the dogs.
What information do you have to support your opinion? Please do not use dogsbite.org or sites that reference that site, as it's well-known that it's highly biased. The media is generally biased as well: http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cr...the-media.aspx

Top 10 Deceptively Dangerous Dog Breeds:
http://listverse.com/2012/05/04/top-...us-dog-breeds/
Old May 17, 2013, 7:43 am

Attacking the holder of drugs is not the alert signal for a drug-sniffing dog.
Right. That was lunch not work.

So, to rephrase this....having failed to ascertain the answer to the handler's question ("Is this lady TheNextBigCatch?") and having instead answered the question "What's for lunch, Fido?" why did he take THAT dog back to visit her?
Old May 17, 2013, 10:49 pm

Sadly the Sequester is showing us that innocent people are hurt by dogs whose training abruptly stopped. From the gropers at the Body Scanners to TSA dogs biting people.

Is the TSA really just a security blanket ala Hollywood? I would hope this pooch gets pulled off line.

Am I wrong to not trust the TSA anymore? Mr. Obama please work with the Department of Homeland Security to allow us to bring liquids through security of more than 3 ounces. I feel that liquids are safer than those TSA dogs
Old May 18, 2013, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
Sadly the Sequester is showing us that innocent people are hurt by dogs whose training abruptly stopped. From the gropers at the Body Scanners to TSA dogs biting people.

Is the TSA really just a security blanket ala Hollywood? I would hope this pooch gets pulled off line.

Am I wrong to not trust the TSA anymore? Mr. Obama please work with the Department of Homeland Security to allow us to bring liquids through security of more than 3 ounces. I feel that liquids are safer than those TSA dogs
Are we really going to just create things out of mid air? I'm no TSA apologist, but we should at least make an effort to label our assumptions as such and not as fact.

What makes you think that training has stopped for the dogs?

This dog is worked by APD on a daily basis. It must perform a percentage of its work servicing the airport in support of TSA. And besides going through a TSA regulated certification, I'd expect that is the end of the TSA involvement.

Last edited by Investor 11; May 18, 2013 at 12:42 am
Old May 18, 2013, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Investor 11
Are we really going to just create things out of mid air? I'm no TSA apologist, but we should at least make an effort to label our assumptions as such and not as fact.

What makes you think that training has stopped for the dogs?

This dog is worked by APD on a daily basis. It must perform a percentage of its work servicing the airport in support of TSA. And besides going through a TSA regulated certification, I'd expect that is the end of the TSA involvement.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...se-4048762.php

The Transportation Security Administration plans to close its San Antonio facility for the breeding and development of bomb-sniffing dogs early next year, a federal official said.
Old May 18, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: TSA

^ X 1k
Old May 18, 2013, 12:18 pm

I can see how some could be confused by the headline. But, all that article says is that they are no longer breeding their own dogs for the program. Now, they are procuring their dogs from vendors, as many other agencies do.

It has nothing to do with the training of dogs in the field. Which is what I replied to.

Originally Posted by danielonn

Old May 18, 2013, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Investor 11
I can see how some could be confused by the headline. But, all that article says is that they are no longer breeding their own dogs for the program. Now, they are procuring their dogs from vendors, as many other agencies do.

It has nothing to do with the training of dogs in the field. Which is what I replied to.
I wonder how much more this is going to cost the taxpayers.

I wonder how the vendors have been chosen. Transparent public bidding process? Yeah, right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.