Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

World-renowned design shop IDEO did design work for TSA in '09 - any results?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat

Did a search and surprised this didn't come up -

IDEO, a global design consultancy did some work for the TSA a while back called "TSA Checkpoint Evolution" - here's a link:

http://www.ideo.com/work/tsa-checkpoint-evolution/

Anyone know about this, and are there any elements that have been worked into checkpoints system-wide? Or is this SSI?
Old May 8, 2013, 4:39 pm

...It was clear that trying to observe the subtleties of hostile intent would be less effective in a chaotic environment filled with stressed passengers. IDEO was engaged to design a solution that calmed the environment of the checkpoint, thus making potential threats stand out...

...Based on ethnographic research with passengers, TSOs, and airport security stakeholders, IDEO uncovered a series of opportunities to improve the checkpoint experience had by all and, ultimately, improve security...
A solution that is much simpler and much cheaper than redesigning airports is removing nude-o-scopes, ending the shoe carnival, allowing all liquids, and downsizing TSA, no? I'm surprised IDEO's passenger research did not tell them that...
Old May 8, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
A solution that is much simpler and much cheaper than redesigning airports is removing nude-o-scopes, ending the shoe carnival, allowing all liquids, and downsizing TSA, no? I'm surprised IDEO's passenger research did not tell them that...
It did, but the research also showed there's no money in it.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkey75
It did, but the research also showed there's no money in it.
Ahh, that's it. I keep forgetting this doesn't have anything to do with actual security, just selling more expensive devices that are replaced with "enhanced" ones!

ElAl has had considerable success with non-technological interventions... if we were really serious about this stuff then perhaps we'd adopt those practices.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Metanoia

IDEO, a global design consultancy did some work for the TSA a while back called "TSA Checkpoint Evolution" - here's a link:

Anyone know about this, and are there any elements that have been worked into checkpoints system-wide? Or is this SSI?
There was a TSA program a while back to calm the checkpoints. TSA junked that concept after a couple of hours.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Ahh, that's it. I keep forgetting this doesn't have anything to do with actual security, just selling more expensive devices that are replaced with "enhanced" ones!

ElAl has had considerable success with non-technological interventions... if we were really serious about this stuff then perhaps we'd adopt those practices.
I have 2 words for anyone who wants to interrogate me as a precondition to getting on an airplane in the USA and those 2 words are not "happy birthday".
Old May 9, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic

Move up a level in the forum hierarchy to "Travel Safety/Security" and search for "Checkpoint evolution". Discussions back to 2008.

And yeah, it was a(nother) stupid idea from TSA.
Old May 9, 2013, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Move up a level in the forum hierarchy to "Travel Safety/Security" and search for "Checkpoint evolution". Discussions back to 2008.

They installed that layout at BWI and I went through it a few weeks ago when I broke my vow not to fly. It's smoother than the original checkpoint and throughput seems better to me. On the other hand, TSA vagaries remain. So, I'd have to call it a draw.

~~ Irish
Old May 9, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
I have 2 words for anyone who wants to interrogate me as a precondition to getting on an airplane in the USA and those 2 words are not "happy birthday".
I should try that the next time the screeners does a gate check and asks me "Where are you going?"

Screener: "Where are you going?"
Me (thinking): "It says 'Dubai' on the boarding pass you're holding."

Last edited by Metanoia; May 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm Reason: correction for neutrality and bad grammar
Old May 10, 2013, 6:06 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I should try that the next time the screener do a gate check and ask me "Where are you going?"

Screener: "Where are you going?"
Me (thinking): "It says 'Dubai' on the boarding pass you're holding, idiot!"
I charge $400/hr to teach illiterate people I don't like to learn to read. 2 hour minimum.

Last edited by essxjay; May 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm Reason: derogatory language in quote
Old May 10, 2013, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
TS/Sers,

A gentle reminder of the forum rubric:

While we don't wish to turn away reflective criticism we do ask that participants refrain from posting behaviors that only serve to inflame or disrupt the forum. Derisive terms used to grossly generalize others such as A. S. S., smurf, goon, thug, Gestapo, Nazi, perv, perp, kettles, mouth-breathers and the like add no value to the forum and are not permitted. Moderators will delete inappropriate posts with no notice. Repeated inappropriate postings will result in disciplinary action.
For the sake of civility, please use neutral references to screeners. Thanks.

---------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old May 12, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by RadioGirl

The concept was actually sound, and does inspire a more organized flow (I believe ergonomic is the en vogue word). It took the lighting down from glaring overhead, to a softer, warmer format, which helps to make it feel less threatening. It also introduced the whisper radio system(s), which is a carry over to now, and they do help cut down on folks in the checkpoint calling back and forth for bag checks and pat downs at a higher volume level than the whisper systems. Instead of the TSO yelling for a bag check, they now key the mic and say "bag check lane X", that helped to cut down on the overall noise level. The architecture of the checkpoint was more aesthetically pleasing than the square boxy versions that are the norm, the color palette was also softer, more neutral, which also helped the area look less daunting. All in all, I liked the "Evolution" concept, it gave a softer, more inviting appearance to the checkpoint - which has the overall effect of taking down the level of organized chaos (that is a normal checkpoint) a notch or two on the worry meter. Sadly, the idea never really caught on.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:10 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
For the sake of civility, please use neutral references to screeners.
I'll be neutral . . . neutral like the Swiss!
Old May 12, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso
The concept was actually sound, and does inspire a more organized flow (I believe ergonomic is the en vogue word). It took the lighting down from glaring overhead, to a softer, warmer format, which helps to make it feel less threatening. It also introduced the whisper radio system(s), which is a carry over to now, and they do help cut down on folks in the checkpoint calling back and forth for bag checks and pat downs at a higher volume level than the whisper systems. Instead of the TSO yelling for a bag check, they now key the mic and say "bag check lane X", that helped to cut down on the overall noise level. The architecture of the checkpoint was more aesthetically pleasing than the square boxy versions that are the norm, the color palette was also softer, more neutral, which also helped the area look less daunting. All in all, I liked the "Evolution" concept, it gave a softer, more inviting appearance to the checkpoint - which has the overall effect of taking down the level of organized chaos (that is a normal checkpoint) a notch or two on the worry meter. Sadly, the idea never really caught on.
Here's the thing.

You say that "organized chaos" is "a normal checkpoint" but it is only "normal" in the US.

The security checkpoints (domestic and international) at my home airport of SYD have ordinary (high-power fluorescent) lighting. The security staff don't AFAIK have "whisper mics", they talk to each other. The layout is square, boxy and has whatever boring industrial "color palette" the architect chose when the airport was built (long before 2001).

Yet it's not threatening, noisy, or daunting. There is no chaos. No, it's not "inviting" to the point where I would spend the evening there having a romantic dinner for two, but it is functional and completely non-scary.

The same is true for every other security checkpoint I've seen (all of these post-2001) in Australia, New Zealand, NRT, SIN, BKK, ZRH, GVA, TLS, PMO, FCO, AMS, AUH, DXB (okay, a tiny hint of chaos* at those last two, but no shouting and not scary ) and others I've probably forgotten.

Why can other countries manage to make the checkpoint quiet and "non-threatening" without requiring mood lighting, special radios, curvy architecture and designer color palettes?

* My observation of AUH and DXB is that the checkpoints are slightly manic because the staff are (successfully!) trying to get a lot of people through quickly. At both airports, world-weary travellers try to remove their laptops, liquids and (American) shoes while the screening staff tell them "no, it's okay, just leave it all in the bag." They might tell you to go "over there" for a patdown if you set off the WTMD, but no one actually checks whether you do or not. (I didn't. )

Last edited by RadioGirl; May 12, 2013 at 11:09 pm
Old May 12, 2013, 11:06 pm

dupe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.