Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very Dangerous Yogurt

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Very Dangerous Yogurt

Today, by dint of heroic personal effort, my nearly-99-year-old mother managed to fly, unaccompanied, from ONT through PDX to MFR, to see my new abode. As she asked me this evening for some baking soda to ease her digestive system, she confided that the valiant defenders of our personal safety in ONT had taken away her digestive yogurt, clearly marked Activia. She says the person pushing her wheelchair had opined, in disgust, referring to the courageous TSA defender of public safety who confiscated--er, allowed her to surrender--her food, "He probably wanted to eat it himself."

Now, I ask you: What POSSIBLE threat to the nation's security was occasioned by this wee, very old lady's (clearly labeled) digestive yogurt?

What cretins!

No wonder this entire agency is a laughingstock.

Last edited by WindOfFreedom; May 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm Reason: typo
Old May 7, 2013, 9:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Was it over three ounces?

If so it's not allowed.

Anybody can label anything Activia, or put it in the container. It's sort of why they have the 3 ounce rule in place.

Edited to add

While the rule is generally referred to as the three ounce rule, or referred to generally as 3-1-1, because some people feel the need to correct it, I am fully aware that it's 100 mls, not only 3 fluid ounces, which works out to be 3.38 fluid ounces. I don't know why they didn't call it the 3.38 ounce rule, or why they did not call it the 3.3814 - 1 - 1 system.

It's my bad for not being more specific and confusing anybody.

Sorry.

Last edited by cordelli; May 8, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Old May 7, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I got my mother's made for diabetics yogurt through TSA security by pushing it as a medical fluid. They swabbed the container without opening any of them. I had to politely push and ask for the supervisor (who was never called) and they relented.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA/AA
You should consider yourself lucky.

If the ONT TSA had called in the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department for backup, she would have been shot.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Precisely why I no longer fly.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli

If so it's not allowed.

Anybody can label anything Activia, or put it in the container. It's sort of why they have the 3 ounce rule in place.
Yeah, sure. A feeble little bent-over old lady. Big national security threat. Get a grip.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:16 pm

If so it's not allowed.

Wait a second. What about the TSA policy on "Medically Necessary Liquids"?
Old May 7, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by NameCoin
Wait a second. What about the TSA policy on "Medically Necessary Liquids"?
How dare you question the medical expertise of TSA employees! They've had a whole 20 minutes of training on what is, and is not, medically necessary for any Citizen with any particular medical condition. Your so-called "doctors" and "nurses" and "pharmacists" are no match for the wisdom of TSA's finest!

And you know, they're the ones who think that "three ounces" is the same as 3.4
Old May 7, 2013, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

If so it's not allowed.

Anyone can put any substance into a 10 oz bottle of contact solution, declare it at screening as a medically necessary non-prescription liquid, and get through with it. It's sort of why they have a 3 ounce rule that's useless.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Now, I ask you: What POSSIBLE threat to the nation's security was occasioned by this wee, very old lady's (clearly labeled) digestive yogurt?

What cretins!

No wonder this entire agency is a laughingstock.
Please, don't insult hardworking honest cretins by comparing them to TSA employees.

For your mom's return trip, get some really clean <3.4 ounce jars and divide the yogurt into them.

Or buy a label maker and put a sticker on the Activia package that says "Net wt 2.8 ounces". @:-)
Old May 8, 2013, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Please, don't insult hardworking honest cretins by comparing them to TSA employees.

For your mom's return trip, get some really clean <3.4 ounce jars and divide the yogurt into them.

Or buy a label maker and put a sticker on the Activia package that says "Net wt 2.8 ounces". @:-)
Now THERE is a useful idea. Thank you, Radio Girl!
Old May 8, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Or just put it in a zip lock. I've found that putting (obviously) oversized liquids in the zip lock somehow makes them invisible to the screener.
Old May 8, 2013, 4:02 am

Another example of the TSA making persons less safe. Your mother should not have had digestive distress as a result of having her yoghurt taken away from her.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Did you check the shops post-security? Many brands of yogurt have live active culture, not just activia.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond

If so it's not allowed.

Medical liquids are allowed in any quantity. The clerks are too lazy and stupid to follow the rules. And, of course, the liquid rule has nothing to do with security - there is no threat of liquid explosives on an airplane, and there never was any threat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.