FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Office Space: TSA renews lease for two 12-story buildings in Pentagon City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1462397-office-space-tsa-renews-lease-two-12-story-buildings-pentagon-city.html)

RatherBeOnATrain Apr 28, 2013 9:14 am

Office Space: TSA renews lease for two 12-story buildings in Pentagon City

An update on TSA's Office Space:

Washington Business Journal:
TSA renews for five years in Pentagon City

Apr 26, 2013, 11:32am EDT Updated: Apr 26, 2013, 11:53am EDT

A short quote:
The Transportation Security Administration has reached a deal to remain in two Pentagon City office towers owned by Brookfield Office Properties Inc. The 546,000-square-foot renewal will buy Brookfield and the TSA time to plan for the agency's possible departure for larger space five years from now.

and
The TSA roughly fills out all of both 12-story buildings and may expand to larger space in the future, Meyer said. The extra time will give the TSA the chance to plan its future space needs and Brookfield a chance to position the buildings for future use if the TSA moves out.

Trying to fill more than half a million square feet of vacant office space would have been a challenge for Brookfield, especially since the region's overall vacancy rate has spiked significantly in the past year.

Wow! Two 12-story buildings - who would have guessed that it takes that much office space to ignore the public and Congress?

WillCAD Apr 28, 2013 9:47 am

I wonder how much this half-million SF of leased space in one of the most expensive commercial real estate markets in the country costs the taxpayers each year.

exerda Apr 28, 2013 9:57 am

I wonder if they managed to get a good deal on the initial leases? IIRC, that was the point when Crystal City and Pentagon City office real estate was in a "bust" cycle largely due to BRAC, which moved a ton of DoD employees to Ft. Belvior (and contractors followed; I know my company closed 2 Crystal City offices and one in Rosslyn during that timeframe).

OldGoat Apr 28, 2013 5:19 pm

I believe the TSA was supposed to join the rest of DHS on the old St. Elizabeth's' Hospital grounds, where TSA employees could enjoy a short survival run to the Metro everyday. But St. Elizabeth's won't ready soon, thus the lease extension.

I've also heard that only the Coast Guard will move to St. E's in the near future. They don't belong there. Given the hospital's history, however, it's perfect for TSA.

cordelli Apr 28, 2013 5:44 pm

What on earth does this have to do with Checkpoints and Border Policy Debate?

Ohhh, they renewed their lease and will stay right where they are. The real estate company said so on their stockholder call.

Maybe Flyertalk should just get a news feed so any story with the letters T S and A in it just gets it's own thread.

As to who would have guessed, since they have been in those two buildings already that they needed that much office space (and in another five years will move to a larger space?) I would bet most people would have guessed.

Himeno Apr 28, 2013 11:16 pm

Why do they even need that much space?

milepig Apr 29, 2013 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 20667927)
Why do they even need that much space?

Gotta store all that confiscated stuff somewhere. :D

Mr. Vker Apr 29, 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 20668812)
Gotta store all that confiscated stuff somewhere. :D

Is Milton in charge of this? Is this what is contained in TPS reports???

WillCAD Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 20669323)
Is Milton in charge of this? Is this what is contained in TPS reports???

Milton Waddams never had anything to do with TPS reports, and any rumors to the contrary are just souless propaganda from the Bobs or Bill Lumburgh. Yeahhhhhhhhh...

Michael El Apr 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD (Post 20670794)
Milton Waddams never had anything to do with TPS reports, and any rumors to the contrary are just souless propaganda from the Bobs or Bill Lumburgh. Yeahhhhhhhhh...

This reminds me that I have to work this Saturday and Sunday.

ElmhurstNick Apr 30, 2013 8:51 pm

I've been to that building. It's not particularly good space even by Federal government standards.

zig666 May 1, 2013 8:47 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD (Post 20665010)
I wonder how much this half-million SF of leased space in one of the most expensive commercial real estate markets in the country costs the taxpayers each year.

It should actually be fairly reasonable (in comparison to the rest of the Metro area). An article this week had the following numbers:

Chrystal City $39.43 sqft vs $50.97 for the Washington CBD or Rosslyn at $42.32.

The full article is http://www.arlnow.com/2013/04/30/cou...-to-arlington/.

Global_Hi_Flyer May 1, 2013 9:44 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 20664881)
Wow! Two 12-story buildings - who would have guessed that it takes that much office space to ignore the public and Congress?

They occupy a lot more space around town - that's not all they have.

Suppose to move to St. E's at some point - I'll bet the us taxpayers end up paying for both spaces for a significant period of time. Of course, they can just add staff to fill whatever space they take...