FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Cheese is dangerous and confiscated - in France! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1462330-cheese-dangerous-confiscated-france.html)

Jenbel Apr 28, 2013 1:31 am

Cheese is dangerous and confiscated - in France!

Just had the most surreal security checkpoint experience of my flying career so far, where French cheese was declared a liquid at CDG, and confiscated as a result. We thought at first it was the ceramic bowls it was contained in they were objecting to - but no, they were ok, they even offered to give us those back (I had walked off in disgust at this point, I'd have probably said yes out of devilment if I'd heard that offer :D). It was the actual cheese itself which was apparently too dangerous. A very nice St Felicien.

Cheese... in France... is considered too dangerous to be allowed to fly :confused:

To add to the confusion, it was of course widely available airside, and we even got served cheese sandwiches on the plane :confused:

N1120A Apr 28, 2013 1:56 am

They wanted to eat it. There is no other explanation.

Jenbel Apr 28, 2013 12:19 pm

We watched them throw it in the bin.

CPT Trips Apr 28, 2013 1:23 pm

I had exactly the same experience several years ago.

bankops Apr 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Runny cheese (brie, camembert, etc) are not allowed, but if you had a Mimolette or Picodin you would have been fine.

CPT Trips Apr 29, 2013 12:21 am

My Gouda wasn't runny.

Jenbel Apr 29, 2013 3:03 am

Originally Posted by bankops (Post 20665966)
Runny cheese (brie, camembert, etc) are not allowed, but if you had a Mimolette or Picodin you would have been fine.

Brie or camembert are not runny :confused:

milepig Apr 29, 2013 6:14 am

Since it was in bowls, I'm guessing it was spreadable??

The rules are pretty clear - something you can spread is considered a "liquid" and not allowed.

A block of cheddar is fine, grind it up and turn it into a spread and it isn't, as I found out during the great Pimento Cheese incident at Charleston.

Jenbel Apr 29, 2013 6:54 am

You can spread butter.... You can spread pate. I had a Reblechon in my checked bags, and that was fine, but it becomes dangerous when in my hand bag? (and yes, I know that applies to all liquids also).

I could have bought a related cheese in the duty free (at twice the price) - did that undergo additional security checks that my hand luggage did not? Afterall, my cheese was looked at individually - do security take out every single cheese and check them before they are sold in the shops? Were the cheese sandwiches we had on board (or some had on board) given extra scrutiny since one of them was a cream cheese?

No, the rules are not clear. And as someone said, their Gouda was confiscated.

We know it's stupid. I'm venting. But please don't try to defend a rule which we all know is stupid.

And of course, this just defies belief in the country where some of the best cheese in the world is made. It's like when LGW refused to allow cans of haggis to go through because they might be a liquid...

Ari Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm

I suppose you could have eaten it all at once and converted it from 'liquid' to gas in front of the screeners; that would teach them!

goalie Apr 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Moe, Larry, the cheese
Moe, Larry, the cheese

(ok, I'll head to the penalty box now)

kochleffel Apr 29, 2013 7:07 pm

I can't help thinking of the episode of I Love Lucy in which Lucy is trying to bring a large cheese back from Europe. She smuggles it aboard the plane wrapped in a blanket, claiming that it's a baby. Later she starts to fear that U.S. customs won't allow it and might even lock her up, so she and Vivian try to eat all of it.

drewguy Apr 30, 2013 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 20672156)
I suppose you could have eaten it all at once and converted it from 'liquid' to gas in front of the screeners; that would teach them!

I would have asked for a baguette and started dining.

gobluetwo Apr 30, 2013 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel (Post 20668350)
Brie or camembert are not runny :confused:

"Liquids" probably also includes creams and gels, as they do in the US. Brie and camembert, while not runny, are creamy, closer to philly cream cheese than to a stick of butter.

And you're wasting your virtual breath preaching to the choir. I think most, if not all, of us agree that the security rules are logically inconsistent and more theater than anything else, but we have to live by them.

iluv2fly Apr 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel (Post 20672817)
I can't help thinking of the episode of I Love Lucy in which Lucy is trying to bring a large cheese back from Europe. She smuggles it aboard the plane wrapped in a blanket, claiming that it's a baby. Later she starts to fear that U.S. customs won't allow it and might even lock her up, so she and Vivian try to eat all of it.

Lucy, you got a lot of splain' to do. :eek: