Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA "choice" @SMF: open sealed baby formula or 1 parents gets grope

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA "choice" @SMF: open sealed baby formula or 1 parents gets grope

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
It's roulette.

Out of several trips with our baby, I had this exact situation happen once (and annoyingly on our first family trip).

Finally decided to leave (as embarking on a transcon with formula that would all be rendered expired in an hour seemed like a bad idea).

Went to an alternate checkpoint, things went exactly the same - except after putting the bottles in the scanner (and having them pass), they didn't even ask about opening them up and sent us on our way.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by omascreener
I am not going to debate the sop with you people I was just trying to clear up something that the OP stated was made up when in fact its not. So I'm going back into lurk mode where I just should of stayed in the first place. I am now withdrawn from this conversation.
Is this a disclosure of Secret Squirrel Information?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by omascreener
I am not going to debate the sop with you people I was just trying to clear up something that the OP stated was made up when in fact its not. So I'm going back into lurk mode where I just should of stayed in the first place. I am now withdrawn from this conversation.
Dude, if the manual is describing what happened here as standard practice, you realize that makes the whole story even worse, right? Not just a bad interpretation of "extra screening" by some idiot in Sacramento, but standard practice to connect two unrelated things and call that "security"? Geez.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So TSA have now not one but two (!) methods rendering dangerous materials inert.

1/ throw them in the bin

2/ pat down a parent

The first one I can easily understand, it must be a magical bin, but it is the second one that shows how TSA is really on the crest of the wave. Fondle mommy's boobs and the formula in the bottle is suddenly rendered safe.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
In this situation, what good would having a LEO on hand do? The issue here is regarding TSA's own unpublished security procedures. There's nothing for a LEO to adjudicate ...
+1

Whether the LEO agrees with the procedure or not, you're likely to get a "their checkpoint, their rules" type response.

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So TSA have now not one but two (!) methods rendering dangerous materials inert.

1/ throw them in the bin

2/ pat down a parent

The first one I can easily understand, it must be a magical bin, but it is the second one that shows how TSA is really on the crest of the wave. Fondle mommy's boobs and the formula in the bottle is suddenly rendered safe.
It's odd that medical liquids too dangerous to fly are rendered harmless by either:

1) passenger grope, or
2) travel by FedEx

I just FedExed my wife's meds. No grope required.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:58 pm

Open Baby Formula

I am not surprised that this happened at SMF. That airport is utterly out of control. I was maimed by a TSA agent there on June 14, 2013 which resulted in my having to have additional surgery at my destination in Seattle. I have been screaming about it ever since, and I plan on screaming about it for a lot longer because I am permanently scarred because of their sadism.

These blog sites are excellent in so many ways, but nothing takes the place of getting in touch with the Federal Security Director at SMF, Kimberley Siro. I have encountered so much resistance by her staff at letting her know things. She actually told me that the feedback she gets is "99.9% positive" which strongly suggests that her subbordinates don't let her know what is going on.

This is discrimination in its worst form. Only 1 parent? Over baby food? This is ridiculous in as many languages as there are on the planet. It's just another example of SMF out of control.

So Write and Call her:

Kimberley Siro, Federal Security Director
Transportation Security Administration
4540 Duckhorn Drive Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95834
916-830-0255

You cannot get this information from the web or even by calling them because I had to go through Congress to get this information yesterday. Call her and complain loud and clear because her staff will do everything possible to keep her from knowing what is happening under her watch.

Good luck!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Tika1505
I am not surprised that this happened at SMF. That airport is utterly out of control. I was maimed by a TSA agent there on June 14, 2013 which resulted in my having to have additional surgery at my destination in Seattle. I have been screaming about it ever since, and I plan on screaming about it for a lot longer because I am permanently scarred because of their sadism.

These blog sites are excellent in so many ways, but nothing takes the place of getting in touch with the Federal Security Director at SMF, Kimberley Siro. I have encountered so much resistance by her staff at letting her know things. She actually told me that the feedback she gets is "99.9% positive" which strongly suggests that her subbordinates don't let her know what is going on.

This is discrimination in its worst form. Only 1 parent? Over baby food? This is ridiculous in as many languages as there are on the planet. It's just another example of SMF out of control.

So Write and Call her:

Kimberley Siro, Federal Security Director
Transportation Security Administration
4540 Duckhorn Drive Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95834
916-830-0255

You cannot get this information from the web or even by calling them because I had to go through Congress to get this information yesterday. Call her and complain loud and clear because her staff will do everything possible to keep her from knowing what is happening under her watch.

Good luck!
Yes, it seems that TSA is very careful to never publish a list of FSD names, much less actual contact information. The best we get are fluffy press releases when someone takes over an FSD position, but finding out who is currently FSD at any particular airport is practically impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.