Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

JFK Terminal Dump over a tube of toothpaste!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Terminal Dump over a tube of toothpaste!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:40 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thumbs down JFK Terminal Dump over a tube of toothpaste!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93K0EL20130421

NEW YORK | Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:43pm EDT

Authorities temporarily evacuated a terminal at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Sunday to investigate a suspicious package, which turned out to be a tube of toothpaste wrapped in duct tape, officials said.
Now if we were allowed to carry on normal size liquids, this pax would not have had to resort to wrapping his tube of toothpaste in duct tape to prevent it from leaking inside his checked luggage.

WTG TSA.....NOT!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
TSA manages to out-stupid itself in a continuous effort to suck even more.

How many people were evacuated *toward* the "suspicious" item, Pissant? You really, really suck.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
We flew DL on Sunday (JFK T3) with carryons and I always carried my own instant coffee premix (usually 8 sticks @ 19.4 gram in its own sealed plastic wrap ... ) inside my stainless steel Starbuck thermo mug with no issues. Not to mentioned that it was alongside with my packing tube full of wires, gadgets & mobile phones, etc. Mrs. L's frozen "pate" - about 1 lb worth in a ziplock bag got pulled or re-xrayed, and was cleared after a brief questioning - which could've looked like something else, I suppose.

And, the blue shirt operator running the equipment couldn't simply run a quick swab to test it and clear it - - end result, delayed thousands for 90 minutes, and, residual backups lasted into the evening.

Another one of those, you godda be kidding again, NOT - out of abudance of precaution. Post-Boston bombing, I guess anything and everything could be seen and can be treated as possible IED to an "experienced" and "trained" operator ...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Apr 22, 2013 at 11:58 am
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:59 am

Good call. That burst-of-cinnamon stuff leaves your teeth with an explosion of whiteness. No bueno on the airplane.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
Now if we were allowed to carry on normal size liquids, this pax would not have had to resort to wrapping his tube of toothpaste in duct tape to prevent it from leaking inside his checked luggage.

WTG TSA.....NOT!
It's clearly overdue for any piece of duct tape longer than 2.36 inches to be banned. And as for those who carry a roll for emergency repairs...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
...And as for those who carry a roll for emergency repairs...
They are obviously intending to use it for artful concealment. Or *thinking* about artful concealment. So string them up.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:21 pm
KCK

Originally Posted by goalie
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93K0EL20130421

WTG TSA.....NOT!
Wouldn't have made a difference...it was in checked luggage. I suppose one shouldn't let the facts get in the way of making a point.

Last edited by KCK; Apr 24, 2013 at 11:28 pm
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KCK
Wouldn't have made a difference...it was in checked luggage. I suppose one shouldn't let the facts get in the way of making a point.
The way I understand the comment the passenger knew it would not clear security because of their 3.4 oz rule, decided to check it, and may have wrapped it in duct tape t prevent leakage. It makes sense to me except for the tape. I would have used a zip lock bag.

May have been a college kid. Duct tape is like the universal fixit item. Like baling wire used to be for us old folks.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
... passenger knew it would not clear security because of their 3.4 oz rule, decided to check it, and may have wrapped it in duct tape t prevent leakage. It makes sense to me except for the tape. I would have used a zip lock bag ... Duct tape is like the universal fixit item. Like baling wire used to be for us old folks.
Clear/transparent duct tape that's TSA friendly ... b/c I carry & use them and it is in my backpack on the go
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:19 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The way I understand the comment the passenger knew it would not clear security because of their 3.4 oz rule, decided to check it, and may have wrapped it in duct tape t prevent leakage. It makes sense to me except for the tape. I would have used a zip lock bag.

May have been a college kid. Duct tape is like the universal fixit item. Like baling wire used to be for us old folks.
I agree completely ^
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:40 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When you fly in bc on AA to an intl. destination, you get an amenity kit, which contains a tube of toothpaste 5 grams or 10 grams, used with an electric/battery toothbrush last a long time--between 15 and 20 brushings.
So, you don't have to resort to wrapping stuff with duct tape.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:33 pm

If it was in checked baggage, why a terminal dump?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I missed the part about its being in checked luggage the first time around. Now where's that picture of the double face-palm?

Mike
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
TSA manages to out-stupid itself in a continuous effort to suck even more.

How many people were evacuated *toward* the "suspicious" item, Pissant? You really, really suck.
Yeah, there is no reason to be evacuated at entire DL terminal. TSA is such a loser! They doesn't listening to those customers. They doesn't change for the behavior.

Just stop acting like a third grade kid!! They have be more mature!!!

Good riddance to TSA!!!

Last edited by N830MH; Apr 25, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.