Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:52 pm

would it be too late to try and appeal a denial from 2013? also all my denial letter said was that i did not meet the eligibility requirements. i have no idea what that could be. i tried emailing the ombudsman, who kindly referred me to the original denial letter.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:40 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by nmstough
It seems that my arrests weren't sealed and they did appear. I wasn't trying to be aloof, but when I was asked what happened, I gave a brief answer. After 12 years, who would remember exactly what counts were filed against someone? The officer then started ticking them off. And I responded, OK, I guess so, but it was dismissed. Everything was dismissed.

My point is I didn't lie about anything. When youre asked a general question "Have you ever been arrested", how much detail should you be prepared to volunteer at the outset?

It all seems totally unfair. $100 for nothing.
See, the thing is..you don't have a right to be in the Global Entry program. Therefore, they can make any reason to say that your risk level is high and not grant you access. It's like when you apply for a job. I can avoid hiring you because of your arrest record, too.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:12 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NDN
See, the thing is..you don't have a right to be in the Global Entry program. Therefore, they can make any reason to say that your risk level is high and not grant you access. It's like when you apply for a job. I can avoid hiring you because of your arrest record, too.
If one answers the question: "have you been arrested", truthfully it is a plus on his side.
Why should being arrested (NOT CONVICTED) make one ineligible for GE? There are many instances of false arrest.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by patpatpatme
would it be too late to try and appeal a denial from 2013? also all my denial letter said was that i did not meet the eligibility requirements. i have no idea what that could be. i tried emailing the ombudsman, who kindly referred me to the original denial letter.
Yes. I would suggest filing a new application instead.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:50 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
If one answers the question: "have you been arrested", truthfully it is a plus on his side.
Why should being arrested (NOT CONVICTED) make one ineligible for GE? There are many instances of false arrest.
Because there could be a statistical correlation with inability to guarantee that this passenger is "known" enough. The point is that he has the right to travel. He does NOT have the right to be in the Global Entry program--that is a privilege. If you cannot meet certain thresholds of confidence in your "known" status as a "good" traveler, then you don't get in. The GE program is about getting the creme of the crop. Being arrested--even if not convicted--could mean that the government cannot be fully confident in you and will not grant you security waivers.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NDN
Because there could be a statistical correlation with inability to guarantee that this passenger is "known" enough. The point is that he has the right to travel. He does NOT have the right to be in the Global Entry program--that is a privilege. If you cannot meet certain thresholds of confidence in your "known" status as a "good" traveler, then you don't get in. The GE program is about getting the creme of the crop. Being arrested--even if not convicted--could mean that the government cannot be fully confident in you and will not grant you security waivers.
There are several posts here from people have been arrested, but NOT convicted; they were approved for GE.
As I noted in my previous post, a false arrest can occur (corrupt, incompetent, over-zealous police person)--should not stigmatize the applicant; which from things I've read, is why CONVICTIONS is in general the disqualification barometer GE uses.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by nrr
Quote:

Originally Posted by NDN

There are several posts here from people have been arrested, but NOT convicted; they were approved for GE.
As I noted in my previous post, a false arrest can occur (corrupt, incompetent, over-zealous police person)--should not stigmatize the applicant; which from things I've read, is why CONVICTIONS is in general the disqualification barometer GE uses.
It is possible that someone with such attitudes toward law enforcement might not sufficiently hide them and if there is a "Call to make," they are not given the benefit of doubt. No GE for those who question authority because GE holders need to follow rules without question.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by 747FC
It is possible that someone with such attitudes toward law enforcement might not sufficiently hide them and if there is a "Call to make," they are not given the benefit of doubt. No GE for those who question authority because GE holders need to follow rules without question.
HaHa. funny

... am I dong in GE if that is remotely true?

IMO the 'interview' for GE is a total waste of time. arrest records are low hanging fruit for them to justify a useless activity.. "look at all our busy work"
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Quote:

Originally Posted by 747FC

HaHa. funny

... am I dong in GE if that is remotely true?
;
Perhaps you censored yourself and used other social skills?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Al Capone was never convicted after many arrests until his income tax evasion trial. Should he have gotten GE (if it had existed then)? There have been many gangsters with arms-long arrest records but no convictions (courtesy of clever lawyers). People who "get arrested a lot" might indicate some problems with honesty and morals. Of course, I have never been arrested, so I don't know what it's like. I also suspect that a customs violation (e.g., Cuban cigars, salami, fruits, non-disclosure of cash) would be of more interest to CBP than not wearing a seat belt. OTOH, even before the interview, the applicant has to list all convictions but not all arrests; if the agent is going to ask about arrests, shouldn't that be on the application, too?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL, AA, IHG, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Just applied and I disclosed my traffic fines

From what I could tell online, Georgia - where all my tickets are from - technically treats traffic violations as criminal. So, to be safe, I ticked yes and listed the three tickets I have had in the last 23 years (there were two others but I pled no lo so those were not convictions). I don't travel a ton internationally, so if I get denied, so be it. I mainly want PreCheck and since my credit card reimburses for GE, I figured I would apply.

Derek

Last edited by aztimm; Apr 30, 2015 at 9:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.