Off-duty cop saves TSA

Old Apr 5, 13, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Off-duty cop saves TSA

After an exit guard gets wailed on, a shoeless off-duty cop leaps to the rescue!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-AubePXOis
Old Apr 5, 13, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Attacker was an idiot, no call for that. Only interesting thing I noted was that each and every TSO clerk was morbidly obese, is it a requirement or something?
Old Apr 5, 13, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Now if it was the other way around where an off duty TSA employee came to the rescue of a LEO being assaulted (or anyone else being assaulted for that matter), the TSA would be self-promoting this faster than you could say "glove save and a beauty" but what I also see the video showing is that it gives credence to "Thousands Standing Around" as not a single TSO comes to the rescue and they only arrive after the off duty LEO has taken down the attacker (and for anyone defending the TSA, please spare me the "it could have been a diversion" or something similar as I'm sorry, this was a fail on the part of the TSO's at that checkpoint)

Last edited by goalie; Apr 5, 13 at 2:37 pm
Old Apr 5, 13, 5:29 pm

Every traveler should watch that video so that we're all clear (again) on just who is the first, last and only line of defense. Not one of her colleagues made a move to assist her when she was being violently attacked.

I hope the screener was not seriously hurt.
Old Apr 5, 13, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow View Post
Every traveler should watch that video so that we're all clear (again) on just who is the first, last and only line of defense. Not one of her colleagues made a move to assist her when she was being violently attacked.

I hope the screener was not seriously hurt.
+1000000000000000000000000000

They only thing the TSA is at the front of are the GED and dessert lines. They are great at harassing and assaulting everyday citizens, but cower when a crazed smoker won't take no for an answer.
Old Apr 5, 13, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow View Post
Not one of her colleagues made a move to assist her when she was being violently attacked.
This is the biggest disappointment for me as well. I was really shocked that the TSO who popped into frame in the lower right pretty early on didn't immediately jump over the railing and help his colleague. Fortunately the passenger that stepped in did a good takedown. I wonder what the reaction would have been if he has not been an off-duty cop, though.
Old Apr 5, 13, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
WHAT IS HELL GOING ON ??!?!? What is happening there?
Old Apr 6, 13, 4:13 am

This is yet another example on how the TSA makes us less safe. In addition to no action from all other TSOs (who are impeded by their bulging waistlines, lack of innitiative and training), the off-duty policeman had to act while barefoot. While this only decreases his ability to respond marginally, multiply the effects of "barefootness" by millions of passengers, and you have a security agency making us significantly less safe.
Old Apr 6, 13, 7:36 am

I like the insert shot of the sign, "If you see something, say something."
Old Apr 6, 13, 7:41 am

Perhaps one of the numerous do-nothing TSO witnesses was busy calling for LEO back up. Saw something, said something. Nothing on that sign about rendering assistance to a coworker under assault.

~~ Irish
Old Apr 6, 13, 8:00 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I'm not going to fault the other TSOs for failing to come to their coworker's aid.

Despite the ridiculous renta-a-cop uniforms and plastic badges, despite their abusive, arrogant, and hostile attitudes, despite the honor guards and ceremonies, and despite John Pistole's best efforts, TSA is not a law enforcement agency, and TSOs are not trained for such physical confrontation or self-defense the way LEOs are. Although they get bent out of shape when someone refuses to respect their authoritah!, the truth is that they have little to begin with, and NO training to back up what little they do have, meaning that it's actually right and proper for TSOs to stay the heck out of it when they see an altercation, and call local LEOs as quickly as possible.

This wouldn't be an issue if TSA didn't outfit it's front-line screeners in Barney Fife Mall Ninja outfits. If TSOs wore polos and khakis, they would never be compared to LEOs in any way, nor expected to react any differently than the guys who fill the vending machines or the empty the trash cans in the terminal.

Kudos to the off-duty cop for quick reaction.
Old Apr 6, 13, 10:07 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ND Sol View Post
I like the insert shot of the sign, "If you see something, say something."
I almost threw up 3.4 ounces of water when I saw that
Old Apr 6, 13, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post
I'm not going to fault the other TSOs for failing to come to their coworker's aid.

Despite the ridiculous renta-a-cop uniforms and plastic badges, despite their abusive, arrogant, and hostile attitudes, despite the honor guards and ceremonies, and despite John Pistole's best efforts, TSA is not a law enforcement agency, and TSOs are not trained for such physical confrontation or self-defense the way LEOs are. Although they get bent out of shape when someone refuses to respect their authoritah!, the truth is that they have little to begin with, and NO training to back up what little they do have, meaning that it's actually right and proper for TSOs to stay the heck out of it when they see an altercation, and call local LEOs as quickly as possible.

This wouldn't be an issue if TSA didn't outfit it's front-line screeners in Barney Fife Mall Ninja outfits. If TSOs wore polos and khakis, they would never be compared to LEOs in any way, nor expected to react any differently than the guys who fill the vending machines or the empty the trash cans in the terminal.

Specifically NOT supposed to intervene... that being said... that TSO must have been hated by their coworkers; as I can't think of anyone who NO one would assist in spite of regs. Maybe Hawaii is just more laid back than my area.
Old Apr 6, 13, 10:51 am

Programs: Spoiled by Skywards
Originally Posted by WillCAD View Post

Brilliant points.

The TSA bureaucrats should go to their local police or sheriff's reserve/auxiliary training sessions. They'll be taught that merely wearing a uniform that looks like a cop makes you a target. The predator doesn't care if you're defenseless and unarmed. As evidenced here in the HNL video.

Surprised we don't see more attack incidents, especially when you see TSA clerks commute via public transit. Take ATL, for instance, the TSA radios don't work on MARTA, there's no LEO to call in as you get assaulted due to mistaken identity.

Nappy would classify this incident as one, "where the system worked," all because yet another hero/passenger stepped up to be the last line of defense.
Old Apr 6, 13, 12:58 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Any sources mentioning a potential motive for the attacker's behavior?

I don't condone it, but I do have to wonder if TSA provoked it somehow by actions that would upset a reasonable person.

Yes, we occasionally see deranged/irate/self-important passengers try to charge the exit for no reason, but we also see a lot of provocation by TSA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: