Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Friendly US border control

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Friendly US border control

I actually had a nice entry experience to the USA a week ago. I came to SAN on the BA flight from LHR. Purpose of your visit - tourism, declearing anything? I had ticked yes on food, yes - just some rolls etc (nothing serious but better be honest with these guys) also slightly over the limit with alcohol which I also decleared. Was through the whole procedure within 15 seconds. I hold a Norwegian passport, I had a US student visa when I studied here two years ago, still a student in Norway travelling alone. I had expected the worst, but probably they saw me as a safe bet since I had a US visa before (which is indeed a complicated process to get) and holding a passport from a country which goes very well in terms of economy.

Point is you can have a friendly experience with the US border control. Probably I was an exception or well I don't know. I was just suprised over that it went so smooth when I had expected a whole bunch of questions...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:25 pm

Be sure not to identify them - they'll be fired for incompetence
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Now that they've lulled you into a false sense of security...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:49 pm

Sounds like the routine I almost always get on arrival....

I don't doubt the horror stories I read here and elsewhere (well.. one tends to attribute some of it to hyperbole) but I have never had a problem...

The "worst" I see is the odd Immigration agent who is... well...disinterested.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I've been through SAN a couple of times (also on the BA flight). I don't think they get terribly busy with international flights, and certainly at the time the BA flight turns up, I don't there's anything else around. I would second the OP's experience. It's a pleasant experience compared with most points of entry into the USA. I think last time I was out on the street waiting for the rental car shuttle 10 minutes after touch-down.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:57 am

I've never had any issues with US CBP (apart from longish lines) or with the TSA.

Last time I must have been extremely lucky. I went through passport control at LAX with basically no waiting time whatsoever.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:10 pm

This is an exceptionally isolated(but good) experience.

Norwegian passport - that just about sums it all up.

Any Iranians or Pakistanis i'm sure, would get very different type of "preferential" treatments by everyone.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by cdn1
Norwegian passport - that just about sums it all up.

I noted this too ...
There are certain countries whose passports would elicit more of a curious response than a hostile response (I have nothing to support this, just my opinion). Those countries that are mildly exotic, low emigration, reputation for friendly people, and not interested in world domination (unless it's biathlon).

I would think that most of the Nordic countries would fall into this category.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Before I had global entry, I actually never had a bad experience with US CBP when coming home. Always a quick 2-3 questions, stamp, and on my way.

The only somewhat negative experience I ever had is when they had the interviewers direction on the jet bridge as soon as we walked off. I was 2nd off the plane from South America and got the chat up for a min before they left me alone.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Aside from the general shift to rudeness and impatience, I miss the days when the CBP agent's final words were: "Welcome home".

No matter where I've been, no matter how great a time I've had, no matter how reluctant I was to leave, there's still always something comforting about being back home.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Before I had global entry, I actually never had a bad experience with US CBP when coming home. Always a quick 2-3 questions, stamp, and on my way.

The only somewhat negative experience I ever had is when they had the interviewers direction on the jet bridge as soon as we walked off. I was 2nd off the plane from South America and got the chat up for a min before they left me alone.
Agreed... immigration was never an issue before GE. Usually just "what were you doing in ________" followed by a clunk-clunk and "welcome home." Customs on the other hand, I was 100% on being sent for a bag x-ray even with GE. Though I'm starting to think part of the issue might have been EWR targeting travelers who fit my profile (single, 20-30yr male traveler) - no secondary at IAD or YYZ pre-clearance.

Originally Posted by chollie
Aside from the general shift to rudeness and impatience, I miss the days when the CBP agent's final words were: "Welcome home".

No matter where I've been, no matter how great a time I've had, no matter how reluctant I was to leave, there's still always something comforting about being back home.
They still said it to me as of two years ago in the manual line!

I remember my first time coming back from the UK when we lived there in the 90's, hearing that and then seeing the photo of President Clinton right next to the American flag as we exited the customs area made me tear up a little bit.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
I've never really had a bad experience flying into the US. I had one hothead at MSP yell at me for listening to music while waiting for my luggage.

The biggest dicks I've dealt with were the Pre-Clearance guys at YYC. Other folks I know have also said they were very, very rude. Land crossings are another issue. Never a pleasant experience. I feel like I'm a criminal trying to sneak home or something. Those people are flat out rude and grumpy.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by lobster7
I've never really had a bad experience flying into the US. I had one hothead at MSP yell at me for listening to music while waiting for my luggage.

The biggest dicks I've dealt with were the Pre-Clearance guys at YYC. Other folks I know have also said they were very, very rude. Land crossings are another issue. Never a pleasant experience. I feel like I'm a criminal trying to sneak home or something. Those people are flat out rude and grumpy.
Actually my best experiences have been with land crossings:
  • NEXUS Line: Quick once over of car, no questions, on my way in 30 seconds.
  • Regular Line (if I have wine to declare or am with Mollywithano, who doesn't have NEXUS): Bringing anything back from Canada? Welcome back...

Maybe I've just been lucky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.