Search

Apr01 - DTW North Terminal Evacuated

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Apr01 - DTW North Terminal Evacuated

Nope, not an April Fool's oke.

DTW North Temrinal evacuated, for a suspicious item in an xray machine. Bomb squad on site. McNamara terminal operating normally.

As it's North, this shouldn't go in the DL forum yet (until it affects McNamara).
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:34 am
Original Poster

North Terminal re-opened, one "detained".
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:51 am
Original Poster

time.com reporting not under arrest, yet detained.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Typical TSA spin of evacuation of x-rayed carry-on item in question as a "precautionary measure" and details "forthcoming"

http://www.wfaa.com/news/national/200851741.html

Perhaps after NYC incident last week, they decided not to fool around with even small cans of mace spray or anything with a red button ... EOD or bomb squad took custody of the item and left to analyze it further.

Early morning travelers got a free morning workout exercises walk, a bit chilly as some were in shorts ...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Yup, on the morning feed on live-news, there were a lot of underdressed people running between North and Smith. Trying to imagine why people were in the terminal without winter gear. This would be huge at McNamara, with all the connections. Yet Smith has almost no conenctions, it's almost all final departure/arrivals.

Guessing a pax did something idiotic (packed something they shouldn't have), and we'll be hearing the words "abundance of caution" sometime later today.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I still maintain that we should shut down the checkpoint and evacuate the airport every time somebody gets caught with a bottle of water while trying to clear security. If it's not allowed on the plane, it's clearly a potential explosive.

Mike
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
I still maintain that we should shut down the checkpoint and evacuate the airport every time somebody gets caught with a bottle of water while trying to clear security. If it's not allowed on the plane, it's clearly a potential explosive.

Mike
Ah, Mike, how you have forgotten about the magical checkpoint trash bin which instantly neutralizes any Dasani threat.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by saulblum
Ah, Mike, how you have forgotten about the magical checkpoint trash bin which instantly neutralizes any Dasani threat.
That and dividing it into multiple 3oz containers makes it less dangerous as well.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by CDKing
That and dividing it into multiple 3oz containers makes it less dangerous as well.
Will none of you show any caution about the abundance of artfully concealed children? No, wait... an abundance of children about artfully concealed caution... hang on, no, I've got this.... shite, look at the time: I'm on break and need to walk up and down the concourse a few times with 70 of my fellow TSA Officzars.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sbagdon
time.com reporting not under arrest, yet detained.
What happened at DTW in a few days ago?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:49 am

I was thru DTW a few hours ago. Gate agent said, "kids squirt gun in carry-on ... was
loaded with more than 3.4 oz of water."

I thought she was kidding. She insisted that is what happened. Dunno if I believe her.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
I was thru DTW a few hours ago. Gate agent said, "kids squirt gun in carry-on ... was

I thought she was kidding. She insisted that is what happened. Dunno if I believe her.
Wouldn't surprise me either way
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

I don't think they allowed it. Because the toy guns are not allowed. They have leave the toys gun at home. Don't bring a toy guns. This is not a joke. It's very serious. TSA could get a big trouble for that.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic

Okay, this time I'll give them credit. In general I believe liquids are harmless and the liquid ban should be abolished, but a child with a full squirt gun on a commercial airline flight is one of the most frightening scenarios I can imagine.
Especially if said child is as well "supervised" by his/her parents as the ones I see on my flights.

Old Apr 6, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Okay, this time I'll give them credit. In general I believe liquids are harmless and the liquid ban should be abolished, but a child with a full squirt gun on a commercial airline flight is one of the most frightening scenarios I can imagine.
Especially if said child is as well "supervised" by his/her parents as the ones I see on my flights.

Ain't no water in THIS gun! (YouTube)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.