FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA Sealed $50-Million Sequester-Eve Deal to Buy New Uniforms (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1444926-tsa-sealed-50-million-sequester-eve-deal-buy-new-uniforms.html)

Wimpie Mar 5, 2013 9:51 am

TSA Sealed $50-Million Sequester-Eve Deal to Buy New Uniforms

The TSA employs 50,000 security officers, inspectors, air marshals and managers. That means that the uniform contract will pay the equivalent of $1,000 per TSA employee over the course of the year.

TSA's new $50-million one-year uniform contract was announced just two days before the automatic, across-the-board spending cuts, known as the sequester, took effect.

Soon after this new investment in TSA uniforms, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano warned Americans that the lines are already lengthening at airports due to the sequester.
I think I'm gonna be sick....:td:

"uniforms that will be partly manufactured in Mexico."

coachrowsey Mar 5, 2013 2:30 pm

:td:Me to. One of the stupidest things I've heard of.

Georgia Peach Mar 5, 2013 2:57 pm

It's not like they go out of style. Who cares what they look like? :mad:

goalie Mar 5, 2013 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie (Post 20364230)

Bolding mine: You and me both :td:

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 20366104)
:td:Me to. One of the stupidest things I've heard of.

Redux :td:

Global_Hi_Flyer Mar 5, 2013 3:17 pm

5 Polo shirts and a couple of pairs of Khakis wouldn't cost NEARLY $1,000 per year. Oh, wait, this is government purchasing we're talking about.

InkUnderNails Mar 5, 2013 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer (Post 20366394)
5 Polo shirts and a couple of pairs of Khakis wouldn't cost NEARLY $1,000 per year. Oh, wait, this is government purchasing we're talking about.

Plus sizes and 2X or larger are more expensive.

TheGolfWidow Mar 5, 2013 4:13 pm

Beyond ridiculous.

omascreener Mar 6, 2013 5:05 am

This article is lumping everyone together. TSOs get no where close to 1000.00 dollars for uniforms. We do however get 317.00 for uniform replacement and 3 shirts and 3 pants for a total of 446.00 dollars a year. Law enforcement officers on the other hand probably get that much.

OldGoat Mar 6, 2013 5:30 am

Originally Posted by omascreener (Post 20369626)
This article is lumping everyone together. TSOs get no where close to 1000.00 dollars for uniforms. We do however get 317.00 for uniform replacement and 3 shirts and 3 pants for a total of 446.00 dollars a year. Law enforcement officers on the other hand probably get that much.

Thanks for the information.

Your last line was most helpful. I fail to see the justification for TSOs to get as much as LEOs. Does the TSO job involve the same uniform-abusing activity as LEO jobs? Running through brush, tackling, etc? TSOs at the checkpoint seem to have a job where the laundry puts the most stress on the fabric.

Additionally, if TSOs only get $446, where does the rest of the money go?

WillCAD Mar 6, 2013 5:37 am

Originally Posted by omascreener (Post 20369626)

Okay, then where does the rest of that money go? Do TSMs, AFSDs and FSDs get a clothing allowance for their suits?

And by the way - don't lump TSOs in with LEOs. TSOs are not LEOs, and the fact that you wear uniforms and badges is the only thing you have in common with LEOs.

omascreener Mar 6, 2013 6:52 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD (Post 20369724)
Okay, then where does the rest of that money go? Do TSMs, AFSDs and FSDs get a clothing allowance for their suits?

And by the way - don't lump TSOs in with LEOs. TSOs are not LEOs, and the fact that you wear uniforms and badges is the only thing you have in common with LEOs.

Did I lump us in with LEOs? I don't think so. This is why I don't post on here because I try to clear up some misinformation I get attacked for no good reason. As for the rest of the money I have no idea because I'm only a one striper and I don't make policy but I do have access to the collective bargaining agreement and thats where my figures come from.

Combat Medic Mar 6, 2013 7:00 am

Originally Posted by OldGoat (Post 20369697)
Additionally, if TSOs only get $446, where does the rest of the money go?

Overhead.

InkUnderNails Mar 6, 2013 7:43 am

Originally Posted by omascreener (Post 20370017)
Did I lump us in with LEOs? I don't think so. This is why I don't post on here because I try to clear up some misinformation I get attacked for no good reason. As for the rest of the money I have no idea because I'm only a one striper and I don't make policy but I do have access to the collective bargaining agreement and thats where my figures come from.

Yes, you did, probably unintentionally.

Your post would have been more effective had you avoided the inference to LEO's. Simply stating the fact of your reimbursement was valuable and appreciated.

This article is lumping everyone together. TSOs get no where close to 1000.00 dollars for uniforms. We do however get 317.00 for uniform replacement and 3 shirts and 3 pants for a total of 446.00 dollars a year.
See the difference?

You are right that TSO's that post here need to wear their Nomex underwear. It comes from the actions of your management and things we put up with at the CP. You may be one of the good guys. Hang around and post a bit. We will let you know.

JoeBas Mar 6, 2013 8:37 am

Just when you thought that TSA couldn't possibly get more un-American...

jkhuggins Mar 6, 2013 9:01 am

Originally Posted by JoeBas (Post 20370609)
Just when you thought that TSA couldn't possibly get more un-American...

Of course, if TSA had contracted with American manufacturers, the cost would've probably been far more than $50M, which would've led more people to criticize the TSA for "wasting" money.

I see this sort of criticism all the time (not just regarding TSA). We want the government to "save money" and to "buy American"; sometimes those goals are contradictory. Can't always have it both ways ...