Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another child abused & more lies re photography

Old Feb 19, 13, 8:24 am
Original Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3oPloe08a3Q
Old Feb 19, 13, 8:59 am

Programs: United
And what is going to happen to the TSO that said it was illegal to record her? Anything at all?
Old Feb 19, 13, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Combat Medic View Post
And what is going to happen to the TSO that said it was illegal to record her? Anything at all?
A promotion.
Old Feb 19, 13, 9:15 am

The video demonstrates once again that you cannot trust anything a TSO says to be true. Unfortunately, that reduces the checkpoint to a social engineering Petri dish. The better you are at functioning in that environment, the better you can protect yourself and your family from the TSA.

And that is your only protective tool.
Old Feb 19, 13, 9:51 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
This video, and the situation it documents, illustrate the massive stupidity of the TSA as an agency.

When someone protests screening procedures - whether legitimately, as in this case, or illegitimately - it is absurd that it takes 20 minutes and innumerable "managers" to make a decision as to what kind of screening is going to be used. There are dozens of places on the TSA web site where TSA claims that its officers have "discretion" to make decisions regarding screening; why the heck is it so difficult to get one of them to exercise that supposed discretion and let a 3-year old kid in a wheel chair go through without a pat-down?

It's unfortunate that the mother in this particular case was not able to get the names of the two TSOs who told her that her daughter was going to get a pat-down, since a later TSO relented and went with ETD swabs as the screening methodology.

It's also unfortunate that the mother didn't know all of the proper terminology and ranks, and what to say to get maximum effect. Asking for a "manager" or "supervisor" likely to bring over an LTSO or STSO, whereas asking for a TSM or FSD/AFSD would probably get you the TSM or maybe even the AFSD.

And, of course, it's absurd to single out a handicapped 3-year old girl for additional screening anyway.
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:02 am

I imagine Disney wasn't too happy about the girls "I don't want to go to Disney world" comment.

We need more of those type of comments, they will get attention in this corporatcracy.
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:14 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
This is WRONG in so many ways
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:27 am

Things have to be pretty bad if a kid says that she doesn't want to go to Disney. We have yet another video where the TSA worker says that fiming is illegal/not permitted. It makes me wonder if the TSA is publically saying that filming is permitted, yet telling their screeners to harrass and intimidate people to make them stop filming. Either that or the screeners are untrainable and will make up their own rules. It's probably a little of both. There are way too many videos and stories of people being harrassed for filming or taking pictures.
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:31 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by spd476 View Post
Things have to be pretty bad if a kid says that she doesn't want to go to Disney. We have yet another video where the TSA worker says that fiming is illegal/not permitted. It makes me wonder if the TSA is publically saying that filming is permitted, yet telling their screeners to harrass and intimidate people to make them stop filming. Either that or the screeners are untrainable and will make up their own rules. It's probably a little of both. There are way too many videos and stories of people being harrassed for filming or taking pictures.
It is also possible that they are ashamed of having to grope a young disabled girl and are really hoping to not be on youtube.
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:41 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Things have to be pretty bad if a kid says that she doesn't want to go to Disney.
It is also possible that they are ashamed of having to grope a young disabled girl and are really hoping to not be on youtube.
I actually wish the kid were a bit more intelligible as viral video of a 3-year-old saying she doesn't want to go to Disney World would be *terrible* PR for Disney. TSA doesn't need to make a profit and doesn't care much about bad PR. Disney does.

Disney might actually have the national clout to force the feds to do something about TSA. That they (and other companies affected by TSA, including airlines) do nothing to stand up for the rights and dignity of their paying customers is shameful.
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by studentff View Post
Disney might actually have the national clout to force the feds to do something about TSA. That they (and other companies affected by TSA, including airlines) do nothing to stand up for the rights and dignity of their paying customers is shameful.
Can you point to any conclusive (not anecdotal) evidence that the TSA has led to a decrease in attendance at Disney parks?

If no such evidence exists, then what incentive do Disney execs have to raise a stink?
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:46 am

Ooo Ooo Me Me!!! (Says the guy who has stopped his annual spring break/spring training trip with the kiddo to FL now that he's not flying).
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:47 am

It is also possible that they are ashamed of having to grope a young disabled girl

Did you /really/ say that with a straight face?

and are really hoping to not be on youtube.
THIS is much more likely.

They'll review the tapes (because since the public has seen this tape, they can't use the 'tapes don't exist' line) and determine that protocol was followed and there was no breach. To the extent that there might have been any breach that they aren't admitting to, the "officer" will be subject to additional training.
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I, for one, am certain that the TSA encourages harassment and intimidation in its "training" classes and not just for photography.
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:52 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
Can you point to any conclusive (not anecdotal) evidence that the TSA has led to a decrease in attendance at Disney parks?
No, but I don't do that sort of study, and I doubt one could ever be "conclusive" since attendance will vary based on the economy, weather, etc.

If no such evidence exists, then what incentive do Disney execs have to raise a stink?
Because if this (or a similar) video were to go viral, it makes it seem like kids hate Disney World (and/or the process of getting there), and there's no way that's good for business. If the soundbite of the girl saying that were played on cable news over and over, Disney would feel compelled to make a statement about TSA, and "our customers should be willing to suffer anything for security" probably wouldn't fly.

If companies (not Disney specifically) feel it is worth spending millions of $ on TV ads and marketing to get a few seconds of positive PR, I suspect they are terrified the flip side of viral free negative PR. My belief is supported by how quickly companies try to react (and often overreact) to critical tweets, facebook posts, etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: