Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Rick Steves comes out against the TSA excesses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rick Steves comes out against the TSA excesses

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Folks, I appreciate everyone explaining to me who Steves is ... but all the explanations basically prove my point.

If I had said that I didn't know who Cronkite was, y'all would have laughed hysterically at me for my ignorance. The fact that y'all didn't laught at me when I said I didn't know how Steves is speaks volumes about his cultural influence versus that which Cronkite held.
??

I'm sorry you misunderstood my post.

He is no Cronkite. But IMHO, it isn't an 'either-or', ie, either you are Cronkite and you can impact public awareness or you are nobody, so you can't accomplish anything.

It wasn't like Cronkite spoke and the US pulled out. He had a reputation and moved in 'respected' circles, so he couldn't be dismissed as a 'commie pinko hippy peace-nik traitor'.

Steves is somewhere between Cronkite and 'nobody'. He is one small voice (not unlike Dan Savage, for example, who is also probably someone you have never heard of). However, sometimes 'small' voices can collectively shift things over time.

Viet Nam was a national issue that could, realistically, only be dealt with at the federal level.

I think it is possible for TSA to be influenced in minor but significant ways at the state level (just like marijuana), even though both are controlled at the federal level. You don't need a Cronkite for that to happen.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:12 am

Well I think I may be the only person in a town of almost 5,000 folks who has a clue about Rick Steves. It is low and lower middle income. Most on Food Stamps, EBT, welfare, Obama Phones etc. I also doubt they watch PBS and probably most don't have a clue what those 3 letters stand for. I also doubt they visit books stores, let alone the travel section.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bigbuy
Well I think I may be the only person in a town of almost 5,000 folks who has a clue about Rick Steves. It is low and lower middle income. Most on Food Stamps, EBT, welfare, Obama Phones etc. I also doubt they watch PBS and probably most don't have a clue what those 3 letters stand for. I also doubt they visit books stores, let alone the travel section.
Many of those same people might not know/have known who Cronkite was, either.

Or if they did, they might have (initially) called him a 'traitor' for his views.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:06 am
Original Poster

bigbuy: I think you underestimate some if your neighbors. Practically every child has seen Sesame Street. Poor does not equal stupid just like rich doesn't equal smart.

Back on topic: Rick Steves does a lot of speaking engagements. I can see how he can raise issues in people's minds and influence their perceptions of airport security.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:26 am

Showboat security, that's a great way to put it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:09 pm

Showboat Security...

That would be a cool Broadway Musical.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Show_boat.jpeg
Everyone would have be frisked to get in, of course.
Freedom Fries would be served at intermission.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Many of those same people might not know/have known who Cronkite was, either.

Or if they did, they might have (initially) called him a 'traitor' for his views.
^
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by mules
bigbuy: I think you underestimate some if your neighbors. Practically every child has seen Sesame Street. Poor does not equal stupid just like rich doesn't equal smart.

Back on topic: Rick Steves does a lot of speaking engagements. I can see how he can raise issues in people's minds and influence their perceptions of airport security.
Well, I wasn't just their neighbor, I waited on them in my business for over 30 years and believe me, most of them were really stupid. Granted, there are some very smart poor people, just not too many of them in my neck of the woods.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by bigbuy
I also doubt they watch PBS and probably most don't have a clue what those 3 letters stand for. I also doubt they visit books stores, let alone the travel section.
Well, duh, Patong Beach airport.

Mike
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Well, duh, Patong Beach airport.

Mike
Dang, I was in Thailand 3 months ago. How'd I not know what PBS really meant?:
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:11 pm

Every major travel writer in the country could join forces to urge the government to put an end to TSA insanity, and it would no effect. At this point, TSA will never go away, because that would mean the government would have to terminate the federal employment of some 50,000 worthless employees, and that just isn't going to happen.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Every major travel writer in the country could join forces to urge the government to put an end to TSA insanity, and it would no effect. At this point, TSA will never go away, because that would mean the government would have to terminate the federal employment of some 50,000 worthless employees, and that just isn't going to happen.
Worthless federal employees describes TSA well and you are correct the Obama administration will do nothing to trim wasteful government programs.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Worthless federal employees describes TSA well and you are correct the Obama administration will do nothing to trim wasteful government programs.
It has precious little to do with which arm of the single US political party is in power at the time. But nice try.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Folks, I appreciate everyone explaining to me who Steves is ... but all the explanations basically prove my point.

If I had said that I didn't know who Cronkite was, y'all would have laughed hysterically at me for my ignorance. The fact that y'all didn't laught at me when I said I didn't know how Steves is speaks volumes about his cultural influence versus that which Cronkite held.
Cronkite had something most of the last 15 presidents have not even had: charisma Rick Steves? Please
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
It has precious little to do with which arm of the single US political party is in power at the time. But nice try.
How about Hillary Clinton? How about Mitt Ronmey? Do you consider that they will reelected again?

Who going next president of United States in year of 2016? Maybe someone who will wins the president. I knows Obama that he won't get another third term. Because the laws say that he cannot allowed to get another third terms. Only 2 terms is enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.