Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

article: Gov’t-Issued Identification Not Needed To Pass Through TSA Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG

If you want to vomit in your mouth a little read the comments after too...

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...-tsa-security/

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – Showing a government-issued identification at a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint is a practice most travelers consider part of the flying experience, however it is not mandated by federal law.

A KPIX 5 investigation reveals that passengers can pass through security checkpoints using a broad range of documentation including utility bills, prescriptions, credit cards, and even Costco membership cards – a fact that surprises veteran travelers....
and this gem
Independent aviation security experts worry this policy that gives a lot of discretion to agents poses a security risk. “Every time you time you introduce a vulnerability, our adversaries are going to take advantage of that,” says Billie Vincent, former director of the Federal Aviation Administration Office of Civil Aviation Security.
Billie Vincent, I am glad you are a "former" director.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Meanwhile, much of the rest of the world doesn't require an ID check to enter the 'sterile' areas.

If security has done its job properly, no threats to aviation safety have gotten through.

If security has done a 'proper' ID check but failed to do its screening job properly, then threats can still enter the 'sterile' area and even board the plane.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:18 pm

“It is very difficult to get something things done absent disaster,” said Vincent.

I am now confused.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by TSA Spokeshole
But TSA officials are more confident and believe the identifications can only provide a certain level of security. They point to other forms of security that take place before check-in as more meaningful, calling the physical checkpoints the last but certainly not the most important step on the road to safety.
So said spokeshole is essentially admitting that TSA ID checks on the jetway are pure make-work.

Here's Billie Vincent's bio.

His company provides aviation security consulting.

So it's in his company's best interest to make up and then point out security holes.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:10 pm

Some guy challenged them on this matter. I think the
ruling was there is a "Secret Law" that exists but that they couldn't
show him. I don't get why there are Secret Laws, since there's
no way you could keep informed of them, but I remember that
being the ruling.
Yup, found it:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The U.S. Department of Justice has asked an appellate court to keep its arguments secret for a case in which privacy advocate John Gilmore is challenging federal requirements to show identification before boarding an airplane.
Disclosing the restricted information "would be detrimental to the security of transportation," the government wrote.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:12 am

The Costco card thing is real, a few times a TSA employee had rejected my form of Gov't ID and asked for a Driver's License or Passport.

Each time I say all I have is that Global Entry card or that Passport card (whatever is in front of the employee), errr I do have a Costco card.

Each time the TSA employee says let me see that and after looking at it, allows me to pass with my Costco card.

I have started to jokingly say that TSA knows that would be bad people do not have the $55 to acquire a Costco membership, thus I am safe to fly if I have my Costco card.

While entering Canada once, the Canadian Immigration officer after looking at my Passport asked for another form of ID (I am not sure why) and I offered him any of Credit Cards (which he said No to) and than said I do have my Costco card. He said, let me see that and after looking at it welcomed me to Canada and said Costco is a great store, my wife and I shop there all the time. That is the longest conversation I ever had with a foreign Immigration official.

Dan
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
What makes a Costco card any better than a GE card?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
The ability to shop at Warehouse Club with a return policy that is unbeatable.

On a more serious note, a good friend of mine works for Costco and he has had a few customers come in and tell him and his employees that their COSTCO cards have been accepted as an acceptable form of ID by TSA.

Dan
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:08 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I did have a Costco card, I seem to remember that they asked for a drivers license before they issued their card--if so, the TSA would know that you did have a DL. [There are too many gaps in this chain of reasoning--but, remember we are dealing with TSA...]
On a more serious note, shouldn't TSA accept (unofficially) any of the following as ID's: facultly/student ID (especially(?)) if issued by a state/city institution, a discount senior transportation card, assuming these all have pictures?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by nrr
On a more serious note, shouldn't TSA accept (unofficially) any of the following as ID's: facultly/student ID (especially(?)) if issued by a state/city institution, a discount senior transportation card, assuming these all have pictures?
I've flown with my gym membership card as my only ID.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Costco has a more rigorous background check.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
I did have a Costco card, I seem to remember that they asked for a drivers license before they issued their card--if so, the TSA would know that you did have a DL. [There are too many gaps in this chain of reasoning--but, remember we are dealing with TSA...]
I once used my CWP. Oops. The TDC asked if I was carrying. I said that is your job to figure out.

We both laughed, but his was more of a nervous laugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.