Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting 1/1/2013

This week in TSA history starting 1/1/2013

Old Oct 8, 13, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
It still amazes me that 30-40 people every month forget that they have a loaded gun in their luggage when going through an airport.
Keep in mind that those only represent the ones *found*, which at last check was somewhere around 25% of those attempted (even by accident.)

(Based on the reports of only one in four handguns being found in "Red Team" testing.)
Old Oct 8, 13, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc View Post
Keep in mind that those only represent the ones *found*, which at last check was somewhere around 25% of those attempted (even by accident.)

(Based on the reports of only one in four handguns being found in "Red Team" testing.)
Highlighting mine.

Or 0 for 5 at DFW.
Old Oct 9, 13, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
...And now, TSO's who say the website is not up to dat/current, may actually be correct
It doesn't seem right that TSA employees are out there violating our civil rights during the shutdown yet TSA's forums for questions and complaints are not operational.
Old Oct 24, 13, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week in Review: September 27 - October 17, 2013

Looks like our friends are back after the government shutdown

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/10/tsa-week...-09-27-13.html

• 99 Firearms Discovered in the last three weeks

• Artfully Concealed Prohibited Items
  • Four credit-card knives were discovered. Two were discovered at Mobile (MOB), and the others at Albuquerque (ABQ), and Joplin (JLN).
  • A three-inch knife was detected concealed in a wallet at Albuquerque (ABQ).
  • A cane sword was discovered at LaGuardia (LGA).
  • A pocketknife was found concealed in a cane at Denver (DEN).
  • A knife was discovered taped to the inside lining of the bag at Minneapolis (MSP).
  • A dagger hidden inside a comb was discovered at Denver (DEN).
  • A stun gun disguised to look like lipstick was discovered at St. Louis (STL)
But as y'all can see, it's still the SSDD where the TSA cites all these "big catches" but afaic, they are finding what they are "trained" to find and nothing more
Old Oct 24, 13, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

• Four credit-card knives were discovered. Two were discovered at Mobile (MOB), and the others at Albuquerque (ABQ), and Joplin (JLN).
  • A knife was discovered taped to the inside lining of the bag at Minneapolis (MSP).
But as y'all can see, it's still the SSDD where the TSA cites all these "big catches" but afaic, they are finding what they are "trained" to find and nothing more
One thing about the light saber that DEN TSOs tried to confiscate - the only place to conceal anything would have been in the handle.
Old Oct 24, 13, 1:53 pm

Tell me if I am mistaken, but I do not recall that they ever expounded upon their "artfully concealed" prohibited items before. Is this something new? Are they going to let us know if the "artfully concealed" prohibited items were found by the Nude-o-Scopes, the WTMD (walk through metal detector), the carry on baggage X-Ray, or by some razor sharp BDO who took one look at the passenger and knew, just knew, that they were up to no good?
Old Oct 25, 13, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde View Post
Tell me if I am mistaken, but I do not recall that they ever expounded upon their "artfully concealed" prohibited items before. Is this something new? Are they going to let us know if the "artfully concealed" prohibited items were found by the Nude-o-Scopes, the WTMD (walk through metal detector), the carry on baggage X-Ray, or by some razor sharp BDO who took one look at the passenger and knew, just knew, that they were up to no good?
The TSA used to "report" artfully concealed items but decided to stop for some "unknown reason" and maybe they brought it back? But as to how these artfully concealed items were found, you left out the all very important category of Dumb Luck
Old Oct 25, 13, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TSA used to "report" artfully concealed items but decided to stop for some "unknown reason" and maybe they brought it back? But as to how these artfully concealed items were found, you left out the all very important category of Dumb Luck
When I see the words "artfully concealed" I picture someone trying to actually hide an item from a screener. An item in a wallet, bag or other such thing is hardly artfully concealed.

I wish TSA would cease with patting itself on the back for doing the most basic part of the TSA job.
Old Oct 25, 13, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
When I see the words "artfully concealed" I picture someone trying to actually hide an item from a screener. An item in a wallet, bag or other such thing is hardly artfully concealed.

I wish TSA would cease with patting itself on the back for doing the most basic part of the TSA job.
If they're going to report stats (weekly feed or twitter/instagram), I'd like to see more complete reporting.

How many 'artfully concealed' cupcakes, water bottles, jars of homemade jelly, 2-inch keychain 'guns' in pockets, Arabic flash cards, etc. were confiscated. Pictures and numbers, please.
Old Oct 26, 13, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by chollie View Post
If they're going to report stats (weekly feed or twitter/instagram), I'd like to see more complete reporting.

How many 'artfully concealed' cupcakes, water bottles, jars of homemade jelly, 2-inch keychain 'guns' in pockets, Arabic flash cards, etc. were confiscated. Pictures and numbers, please.
^LMAO!
Old Oct 28, 13, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: Friday, October 25, 2013

According to our friends, it's all about firearms* but I added a two of my own goodies

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/10/tsa-week...-firearms.html

*tho according to their own information, there were a bunch of "artfully concealed items" but since they are not firearms, I guess they don't count

Artfully Concealed Prohibited Items Its important to examine your bags prior to traveling to ensure no prohibited items are inside. If a prohibited item is discovered in your bag or on your body, you could be cited and quite possibly arrested by local law enforcement. Here are a few examples from this week where prohibited items were found by our officers in strange places.
  • A belt buckle knife was discovered at Denver (DEN).
  • A multi-tool was found concealed in a shirt, wrapped in a towel, and placed in a book at Mobile (MOB).
  • A razorblade was detected in the wallet between two medical insurance cards that were taped together at Philadelphia (PHL).
  • A Swiss Army knife was found attached to a disposable razor in an attempt to sneak it through the checkpoint at Minneapolis St. Paul (MSP).
Old Oct 28, 13, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it's the appropriate place for the FAM story - after all, he was looking for 'artfully concealed items'...
Old Oct 28, 13, 5:24 pm

According to our friends, it's all about firearms* but I added a two of my own goodies

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/10/tsa-week...-firearms.html

*tho according to their own information, there were a bunch of "artfully concealed items" but since they are not firearms, I guess they don't count
Artfully Concealed Prohibited Items Its important to examine your bags prior to traveling to ensure no prohibited items are inside. If a prohibited item is discovered in your bag or on your body, you could be cited and quite possibly arrested by local law enforcement. Here are a few examples from this week where prohibited items were found by our officers in strange places.
A belt buckle knife was discovered at Denver (DEN).
A multi-tool was found concealed in a shirt, wrapped in a towel, and placed in a book at Mobile (MOB).
A razorblade was detected in the wallet between two medical insurance cards that were taped together at Philadelphia (PHL).
A Swiss Army knife was found attached to a disposable razor in an attempt to sneak it through the checkpoint at Minneapolis St. Paul (MSP).
Well, let's see... Nope, all the things listed would either be in carry on bags or detected with a WTMD. Nothing attributable to the NoS BS, just old fashioned bag x-ray and WTMD.
Old Oct 28, 13, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde View Post
Well, let's see... Nope, all the things listed would either be in carry on bags or detected with a WTMD. Nothing attributable to the NoS BS, just old fashioned bag x-ray and WTMD.
Or in other words, TSO's doing what they are supposed to do and finding what they are supposed to find so no big catch here and please move along as there is nothing to see here other than the typical TSA self-promoting
Old Oct 28, 13, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone been watching the TSA instagram feed? (or was it twitter)?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: