Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

One good thing from going over the "cliff"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"

According to this article, if we go over the fiscal cliff:

"...they warn, the TSA could lay off thousands of baggage screeners, which could force the agency to abandon full-body screening for hundreds of thousands of passengers at airports each day."
They warn? Hell I'm all in for this!"
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL4life
According to this article, if we go over the fiscal cliff:

They warn? Hell I'm all in for this!"
Anything to reduce the number of TSA employees will be a good day.

Wonder if Blogger Bob will get his walking papers seeing he has no useful purpose in life.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta, United
Do not get too excited, the President's budget includes an increase in airport security fees. So while they may get a general budget reduction - those who fly are apt to see the fees greatly increase.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
That is not how I understand how the government works. They will do everything they can to increase the inconvenience of the travelers just so they can say "Call your congressman and senators. It is their fault you are standing in these long lines as they will not approve funding."

If there are any cuts, they will make sure we feel it.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
That is not how I understand how the government works. They will do everything they can to increase the inconvenience of the travelers just so they can say "Call your congressman and senators. It is their fault you are standing in these long lines as they will not approve funding."

Though that's a common tactic (in many businesses, not just TSA), I'm not so sure we'd see this. I've read many reports here, for example, of how TSA checkpoints with WBI will process passengers will open up the WTMDs when lines are long, and close the WTMDs when lines are short. TSA insiders who post here claim that this is because TSA receives pressure from the airlines to not delay their flights.

"Don't like the long lines? Give us more funding" sounds like a feasible tactic .... but if it was likely to be used, I suspect we would have seen it already, rather than the opposite tactic which we have seen.

But, as Master Yoda said, "Always in motion is the future."
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
But, as Master Yoda said, "Always in motion is the future."
^
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Red face

Saving the country big bucks: elimination of the TSA and replacing them with private contractors who don't get to play with the strip search machines, who can't even patdown passengers unless something on the passenger alarms the WTMD, and who aren't allowed to interrogate passengers or play the ID/name/boarding pass check games.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:05 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

This is not a government shutdown, it's a decrease in funding for the entire year. The government could easily keep spending at the current rate, assuming that congress will fix the problem before the reduced appropriation runs out.

These types of articles are scare tactics and nothing more.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by cbn42
This is not a government shutdown, it's a decrease in funding for the entire year. The government could easily keep spending at the current rate, assuming that congress will fix the problem before the reduced appropriation runs out.

These types of articles are scare tactics and nothing more.

I dont find anything scary about TSA potentially abandoning the full body scanners.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails

Exactly.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by UAL4life
I dont find anything scary about TSA potentially abandoning the full body scanners.
Yes, but most people would. Flyertalkers are not the target audience of this article.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:37 pm

The affect of the US budget crisis on the TSA plays directly into the platform of the Republican party, which is very anti-TSA.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:13 am

Call your congressman and senators. It is their fault you are standing in these long lines as they will not approve funding.
I try to do my part, by avoiding countries with long queues, and travelling to countries with short queues instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.