Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Known Crewmember Program: No more AA crew cutting security lines

Known Crewmember Program: No more AA crew cutting security lines

Old Nov 27, 12, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO View Post
Are you kidding? Everyone should have to show ID to board any airliner.
Why? Do you really think showing ID keeps any bad guys from getting on a plane? The idea that the 'showing ID' charade at the checkpoint accomplishes anything safety-related is ludicrous.

The only reason the airlines ever asked for ID was revenue protection. That's fine - I have no problem showing ID to an airline employee. The government? I have a big problem with that.

Back on topic - I don't care if flight crew cut in line and I don't care if they skip security. It's well worth it to keep flights on time.
Old Nov 27, 12, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
The only reason the airlines ever asked for ID was revenue protection.
Not since the implementation of the no-fly list!
Old Nov 27, 12, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The program is explained at http://www.knowncrewmember.org/ and is available to all active AA (and other airlines) crews, i.e. pilots and FAs, in uniform.

Just like PreCheck, they randomly deny people and send them to the regular lines. Unlike PreCheck, known crewmembers are allowed in "normally" with no screening whatsoever.

The (separate) known crewmember lines are at the following airports:
Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
Boston Logan (BOS)
Charlotte/Douglas International (CLT)
Chicago Midway International (MDW)
Columbia Metropolitan Airport (CAE)
Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
Denver International Airport (DEN)
Detriot Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW)
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International (FLL)
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL)
Honolulu International (HNL)
Houston George Bush Intercontinental (IAH)
Indianapolis International (IND)
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
Lambert-St. Louis International (STL)
Las Vegas McCarran International (LAS)
Los Angeles International (LAX)
Miami International (MIA)
Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP)
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
O’Hare International (ORD)
Orlando International (MCO)
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX)
Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
Reagan National Airport (DCA)
Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
San Francisco International (SFO)
Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA)
Washington Dulles International (IAD)
Old Nov 27, 12, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by gemac View Post
Right. Because the pilot could have a boxcutter in his pocket, could hold it to the neck of a flight attendant, force his way into the cockpit, and fly the airplane into a building if he didn't have to go through the same security as everyone else.

If we know he doesn't have a boxcutter on him, we can all feel totally safe.
I couldn't care less if everyone on the plane has a boxcutter.

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO View Post
Are you kidding? Everyone should have to show ID to board any airliner.

No way! It is none of the government's business who flies. Anyone and everyone should be free to come and go as they please, anonymously if they choose.
Old Nov 28, 12, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
OPR bound I see
Old Nov 28, 12, 1:20 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post

No way! It is none of the government's business who flies. Anyone and everyone should be free to come and go as they please, anonymously if they choose.
May I respectfully disagree (and I OBTW I hate the TSOs)? But philosophically, 9/11 changed forever, the dynamic. The role of passenger changed from hostage to be eventually released, to one of passenger as part of bomb (and thus an unwilling part of somebody else's issue).

But until the day arrives when we have peace in the middle east, democrats/sheep lying down with republicans/lions, religious fundamentalists of the christian, jewish, islamic, et al, moving into the 21st Century from the 8th, 15th, or wherever they think they are now, plus the sun, the moon, and the stars are aligned-This is what we got.

BACK On TOPIC:For years prior to, and especially after, the pilot shenanigans of September and October, I have and continue to resent crew "line jumping". You and I don't put up with that (adjective) in ski lift lines, at a concert, or at the grocery store. Why at the airport?

Either everyone (me) or no one (Spiff) stands in line for screening. Some based on status may be moved to other/(theoretically) shorter lines. But there is no reason why the bus driver and his/her compradres get to skate, OR JUMP THE LINE. NO ONE is above the law.

Also: See "Passenger 57".

(Now dressing in a righteous indignation backlash, anti-flame, sniper-redardent, suit)

Fly safe, EVERYONE!

Last edited by scoow; Nov 28, 12 at 6:27 pm Reason: remove derogatory reference to TSA employees.
Old Nov 28, 12, 1:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
I've never had a problem with flight crew cutting the line, and don't see a big deal. They should be screened at the same level applied to frequent travelers as they are as "known" as I am. No more, no less. But having the folks making the plane go get ahead of the line seems like such a minor deal.

I would imagine that most of the folks who object to this don't object to their own cutting of security and boarding lines due to status. But, of course, that's different

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 12, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I've never had a problem with flight crew cutting the line, and don't see a big deal.
You obviously have never had the pleasure of an elite security line coming to a grinding halt because of a seemingly endless stream of crew members cutting to the front. This is particularly a problem at stations like BOS where the TSA stops the belt for 15 minutes each time a bag goes through.
[Have I mentioned recently how much Pre Check has improved my life?]
Old Nov 28, 12, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
I lost two close friends on AA 11 - kind, gentle, generous people. There were boxcutters on that plane. Fifteen minutes into that flight, those boxcutters were used to kill one person and injure three others. Eventually, everybody on board died, something that would likely not have happened without those boxcutters in the hands of terrorists.

I hope that you are never on a plane with terrorists who have boxcutters.
Old Nov 28, 12, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond
Given they don't make a nickle until push back (when all the complainers about cutting are expecting predeparture drinks), it's only fair that they should be able to expedite the time through security.
Old Nov 28, 12, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I've never had a problem with flight crew cutting the line, and don't see a big deal. They should be screened at the same level applied to frequent travelers as they are as "known" as I am. No more, no less. But having the folks making the plane go get ahead of the line seems like such a minor deal.

I would imagine that most of the folks who object to this don't object to their own cutting of security and boarding lines due to status. But, of course, that's different

Cheers.
+1

I do admit to some consternation if I see crew members cutting in front of me in line. But I don't resent it; it's just because I want to get through as quickly as possible. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I don't think they've ever delayed me more than five minutes. Certainly, they do know how to move themselves and their stuff through the baggage and security machines quickly.

The one respect in which I'll disagree, sort of, is that they're getting ahead of me is a potentially major deal, but in a positive way. Since it increases the chances of planes leaving on time, I'll gladly stand aside.

I lost two close friends on AA 11 - kind, gentle, generous people. There were boxcutters on that plane. Fifteen minutes into that flight, those boxcutters were used to kill one person and injure three others. Eventually, everybody on board died, something that would likely not have happened without those boxcutters in the hands of terrorists.

Oh my. While I thankfully can't share that horrible, personal experience, I can share the sentiment for the issue at hand. Any security step that even slightly increases the chance of my, my love ones or for that matter any passengers or airline crew members avoiding a terrorist incident is fine by me. I'll choose the inconvenience any day.
Old Nov 28, 12, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
Any security step that even slightly increases the chance of my, my love ones or for that matter any passengers or airline crew members avoiding a terrorist incident is fine by me. I'll choose the inconvenience any day.
Then you and gemac should be disturbed by the advent of this KCM program, as it greatly increases the odds that boxcutters or revolvers or any other prohibited item will be admitted into the sterile area of the airport (now that pilots and FAs will oftentimes waltz thru security without a scan of their person or bags).

Had the Chicago FA brought her gun to ORD in her bag on Monday instead of last Friday, chances are it would have ended up in the sterile area of ORD undetected (and would have been transported to Shanghai as well).
Old Nov 28, 12, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

I'm sorry for your loss, but boxcutters weren't the problem that day. Crews cooperating with terrorists were.

I would be happy to fly with sharp objects any time, any place. They're all over the ground. The cutlery store at the mall doesn't fill me with dread. Neither does going to Bass Pro Shops, where knives, firearms, and ammo are routinely handed out. And there's nothing to prevent ID1 from buying and handing them to ID2. I still couldn't care less, just like I could not care less who flies, nor for the most part what they carry.

Last edited by Spiff; Nov 28, 12 at 3:47 pm
Old Nov 28, 12, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Then you and gemac should be disturbed by the advent of this KCM program, as it greatly increases the odds that boxcutters or revolvers or any other prohibited item will be admitted into the sterile area of the airport (now that pilots and FAs will oftentimes waltz thru security without a scan of their person or bags).

Had the Chicago FA brought her gun to ORD in her bag on Monday instead of last Friday, chances are it would have ended up in the sterile area of ORD undetected (and would have been transported to Shanghai as well).
Good point. I guess as much as I realize that airline personnel are much less likely than passengers to bring in prohibited items, much less use them for nefarious purposes, I'm not totally comfortable with this program.
Old Nov 28, 12, 3:33 pm

Programs: US Airways Plat, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
You and I don't put up with that (adjective) in ski lift lines, at a concert, or at the grocery store. Why at the airport?
If the ski lift operator, the band, or a cashier tried to line jump me, they would get an earful...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: