Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Wait times, lines, etc - expectations for tomorrow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus

What are everyone's thoughts on wait times in security/check-in/etc tomorrow during "one of the busiest travel days of the year"?

I'm flying out of MSP early morning, not planning to deviate at all from my normal airport arrival routine. Am I shooting myself in the foot? Are you all expecting lines to be much longer than normal for a Wednesday?

Edit: this might be better suited for TravelBuzz! up to y'all, mods.

Last edited by mspflyer3; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:48 am Reason: additional text
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
The problem is less the volume than it is inexperienced folks with families. If you qualify for pre-check & advance BP printing (no checked bags), your life will be measurably better. BTW, the real rush started last Friday.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
skypriority, no checked bags for me. no precheck, unfortunately. sounds like i shouldn't worry too much?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
SAN very nasty this morning, both traffic to airport (congestion, construction) and I estimate 45 to get through security in Economy line.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
What about Thanksgiving day? I'm flying out of an airport with no PreCheck (and no priority lane, for that matter).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by lovely15
What about Thanksgiving day? I'm flying out of an airport with no PreCheck (and no priority lane, for that matter).
IME, Thanksgiving day is usually pretty light. Early morning can be a bit busy, but later in the day most folks (save diehard mile-runners) are enjoying time with family.

The flip side, of course, is that most every service worker in the airport would rather be doing something else.... and airlines/TSA tend to cut staffing back.

I am fortunate not to have to deal with it this year.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
IME, Thanksgiving day is usually pretty light. Early morning can be a bit busy, but later in the day most folks (save diehard mile-runners) are enjoying time with family.

The flip side, of course, is that most every service worker in the airport would rather be doing something else.... and airlines/TSA tend to cut staffing back.

I am fortunate not to have to deal with it this year.
Overall flight ops day tends to end earlier on some holidays (varies by airline and routes).
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
PreCheck at ATL on Wednesday was a God-send - good 200 people in the regular line (20-30 minute wait per the signs); one person in front of me at PreCheck.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:08 pm

I had a real shock Wednesday morning at LAS. I made it a point to get there 2 hours early because of horridly long lines at the D gates checkpoint during previous trips. I was fortunate to be able to fly up front on this trip. My flight was at 10:55 AM. About 9:15 AM the first class entrance to the checkpoint came into view, I stood in shock for a minute. NO line! Wait. Am I in the right place? The ID checker said the new terminal 3 has taken a lot of the load off this checkpoint. There were just 3 people ahead of me at the luggage x-ray belt that I chose.

I did a layover at ATL and that place was a zoo.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:28 pm

I flew out of FLL today. Was on AA. Line there (shared with US/WS) was maybe a dozen people long, if that. I walked over to the opposite end of that terminal (JetBlue) and there was no line at all: people were just walking directly up to TDC. This was around 10 AM and I suspect it was worse later in the day, but it looks like staffing levels were able to handle it, at least when I went through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.