Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Deliberate TSA Tactic To Threaten Opt-Outs Who Say Body Part Names?

Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I thought this topic deserved its own thread, separate from the consolidated opt-out experience thread because I'm detecting a nationwide TSA tactic. In addition to my own experience, there is a lengthy posting from a new member (welcome!) with nearly the same experience at another airport.

At Dulles about a month ago, I failed in a SDOO attempt. A female clerk said I would be subjected to a "very rigorous full-body pat-down." I asked if this included touching my <body part>. She immediately said, "Your use of that word offended me."

After being handed off to a male 3-strip clerk for the actual groping, I made him go through the canned speech. When he asked if I had any questions, I asked if "meeting resistance" meant coming in contact with my <body part>. He was also offended by my use of that term and called over the suit. The suit told me that he was ready to call over a cop because my use of that word was "interfering with the screening process."

My observation: Starting with the moat dragoness, everyone who told me they were offended acted as if they were reading from a script. None of them sounded the least bit offended; it was a deliberate and trained response. The threat of being arrested for interfering with the screening process was also scripted.

So, I throw this out there to find out if anyone else has had the same experience over the last 8 weeks or so?

I'd like to enlist other FTers in an attempt to find out if this new "sensitivity" to use of body parts is a new intimidation tactic. I encourage others who opt out to ask a question about a genital being touched, using the proper name, and see what reaction you get. I'm not looking for anyone to get into any situation in which they feel threatened. I'd just like as many others as possible to go as far down this road as they dare just to figuratively "pull the trigger" and see if the clerk takes the bait and reacts with the same script.

If there are enough of us who report the same experience -- tough because of the reduced flying most of us are doing these days, I will try to get some media attention.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Generally at IAD they'll back down if you repeatedly say the phrase "Are you saying I have no First Amendment rights at the checkpoint"....

As long as you are not using vulgar language, that is.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
I didn't read the other thread, so maybe I missed this - but were you using the clinical name or slang?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:29 pm

So they can touch your <body part> but they are "offended" when you verbalize the name of the <body part> when inquiring as to whether they are going to touch that <body part?>

That's absolutely asinine. (And, yeah, I know 'asinine' has nothing to do with a similar sounding body part. But, since I can't be confident the screeners know that, I wouldn't make that observation at the checkpoint. They may be offended. )
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Neat. So the reality that women have hoohaws and men have danglethings is now offensive in an of itself.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:32 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
You should have asked -

"Are you refusing to perform the pat-down you were hired to do and that is part of your job description?"
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Neat. So the reality that women have hoohaws and men have danglethings is now offensive in an of itself.
I thought it was cuchi and taliwhacker?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Hoo hoo and wee wee.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:55 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
innie and outie.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
"Your use of that word offended me."
"Not as much as what you are about to do offends me."

Not to mention the Constitution.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Seriously, I wonder what happens if you use patently 'non-offensive' (and non-clinical) language, ie, ask the screener, "Are you going to touch my man parts?" or "Are you going to touch my lady parts"? Or ask: "Are you going to put your hands inside my panties?" or "Are you going to put your hands inside my shorts during the patdown?"

I don't see how anyone, even the most pro-TSA LEO, could call those terms 'offensive' (not with a straight face, anyway).
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:27 pm

My reply would be something like, 'People who are so easily offended are found to be lacking in social skills and intelligence. Does that apply to you?'
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:25 pm

The FSD at BUF was offended enough by my use of the term "masturbating" in a telephone conversation I had with him concerning the "BSX viewing room" in June 2011, that he threatened to end the conversation right then and there.

Last edited by Rondall; Nov 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:28 pm

Bajingo and schwingschwang.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Seriously, I wonder what happens if you use patently 'non-offensive' (and non-clinical) language, ie, ask the screener, "Are you going to touch my man parts?" or "Are you going to touch my lady parts"? Or ask: "Are you going to put your hands inside my panties?" or "Are you going to put your hands inside my shorts during the patdown?"

I don't see how anyone, even the most pro-TSA LEO, could call those terms 'offensive' (not with a straight face, anyway).
Just because some immature and unprofessional screener finds the term "genitals" (or other proper terms) offensive doesn't make it so. People who are so delicate that they can't hear the proper terms for body parts without wilting might want to consider finding a line of work that doesn't require touching them.

I do like the suggestion made by the OP to probe (sorry, was that offensive?) how widespread this tactic has become. It sounds to me like now that they've been outed as bullies they've decided to become a big bunch of babies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.