PreCheck "Hack" reached press

Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve65341
I downloaded one for iphone that simply shows up as "scanner" and it works well. FWIW the boarding pass barcode is in PDF 417 format so finding one that supports it will work.
Has anyone gotten the scanner app to work with the bar code produced by the airlines' phone apps for mobile boarding passes? Mine only works with the one the website produces for printing at home.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Has anyone gotten the scanner app to work with the bar code produced by the airlines' phone apps for mobile boarding passes? Mine only works with the one the website produces for printing at home.
If you are using iOS, take a screenshot of the BP, and scan the file using the Qrafter app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/qraf...416098700?mt=8
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Firstly, what on earth are you talking about? If you can read a pdf you can certainly change it. ...

Secondly, many people have asserted that these barcodes include signatures. But I've never seen any pointer to any evidence of this. Does anyone have any actual information on this purported signature? I'm quite skeptical because there doesn't seem to be enough bits in the barcodes to contain a particularly strong signature. ...

Moreover there's a fundamental weakness in a signature based scheme. The signing key would have to be in every terminal everywhere in the world belonging to every organization that can issue boarding passes. It wouldn't be very long before the key was leaked. ...
What I am talking about is this signature: AMzB2130HCgqDPhBelGkOsKD3D8HrVivfQ==|SEXWg35HHgESk v0/sIszRoy
zwkIG+jSp

Which is what appears when I scan my AA boarding pass. Obviously, I understand I can change the text, but doing so means that the text no longer matches the digital signature --- causing the BP to be rejected by the PreCheck scanner.

The private key does not have to be universally available. AA has one, and they generate the signature for my PNR centrally. It certainly does not have to be "have to be in every terminal everywhere in the world." They do have to be with every issuing organization, but that is why every organization cannot participate in PreCheck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.