Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Newsday: Why can't the TSA seem to keep NY airports secure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Newsday has posted a piece by Newsday Editorial Board member Alvin Bessent:

Newsday:
Why can't the TSA seem to keep NY airports secure?

Tuesday October 9, 2012 3:00 PM

The column opens with this line:
Reasons to worry about porous airport security in the New York region just keep piling up.
and also includes this paragraph:
If the intrusive security measures imposed since 9/11 are worth doing, then they’re worth doing well. And if they’re not worth doing then we should just call the whole thing off. Right now we seem to be getting the worst of everything; Taxpayers are spending $5.4 billion a year for the TSA’s intrusive screenings and other security measures and in the New York region are getting a questionable return on that investment.
^ to Mr. Bessent!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Answer:

Probably because they play an idiotic name game and harass people who fly over 150,000 miles a year.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic

RadioGirl: Why should NY airports be different?

TSA can't keep any of 'em secure. Mr Bessant has some good points but he needs to get out more.

Taxpayers are spending $5.4 billion a year for the TSA’s intrusive screenings and other security measures and in the New York region are getting a questionable return on that investment.
So are the taxpayers in Florida and California and Hawaii and Montana and Ohio and...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
RadioGirl: Why should NY airports be different?
Newsday is "an American daily newspaper that primarily serves Nassau and Suffolk counties and the New York City borough of Queens on Long Island, although it is sold throughout the New York metropolitan area" (wikipedia). My apologies for being a New Yorker and assuming that everyone knows NYC's local media market.

Mr Bessant was writing for a local NYC-area audience, so the headline and his premise make a lot of sense to me.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:36 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Simple answer: EWR, that bastion of in-skew'rity keeps messing up and screwing the bell curve
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Newsday is "an American daily newspaper that primarily serves Nassau and Suffolk counties and the New York City borough of Queens on Long Island, although it is sold throughout the New York metropolitan area" (wikipedia). My apologies for being a New Yorker and assuming that everyone knows NYC's local media market.

Mr Bessant was writing for a local NYC-area audience, so the headline and his premise make a lot of sense to me.
No, I get that.

It's just that the headline and premise imply that it's only (or mainly) NY airports that are screwed up by the TSA; that somehow TSA is particularly neglecting NY airports compared to others, or perhaps that (because of 9/11™) NY airports deserve better security than the rest of the country. Just the impression I got.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.