Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Cancer Patients Abused by TSA [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Yesterday I went through the imaging scanner at JFK Terminal 4 for my Virgin America flight to San Francisco. Evidently they found something, because after the scan, I was asked to step aside to have my breast area examined. I explained to the agent that I was a breast cancer patient and had a bilateral mastectomy in April and had tissue expanders put in to make way for reconstruction at a later date.

I told her that I was not comfortable with having my breasts touched and that I had a card in my wallet that explains the type of expanders, serial numbers and my doctor’s information (pictured) and asked to retrieve it. This request was denied. Instead, she called over a female supervisor who told me the exam had to take place. I was again told that I could not retrieve the card and needed to submit to a physical exam in order to be cleared. She then said, “And if we don’t clear you, you don’t fly” loud enough for other passengers to hear. And they did. And they stared at the bald woman being yelled at by a TSA Supervisor.

To my further dismay, my belongings, including my computer, were completely out of sight. I had no choice but to allow an agent to touch my breasts in front of other passengers.
http://loridorn.me/post/10866768010/...curity-eclipse I didn't see this here yet. Just disgusting.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 100K BA executive club, IC/platinum/RA
My wife is also a breast cancer survivor and your story makes me very upset. We just returned from another European trip, I can tell you the anxiety that my wife goes through each and every time we go through security is almost unbearable to her.
She too is afraid of the humiliation that she may endure. My heart goes out to you, and I can't help but feel a very small part of your pain. I understand the security aspect, BUT, enough is enough. Hang in there, and I can only hope that this does not repeat itself as it was totally unacceptable.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by useless
My wife is also a breast cancer survivor and your story makes me very upset. We just returned from another European trip, I can tell you the anxiety that my wife goes through each and every time we go through security is almost unbearable to her.
She too is afraid of the humiliation that she may endure. My heart goes out to you, and I can't help but feel a very small part of your pain. I understand the security aspect, BUT, enough is enough. Hang in there, and I can only hope that this does not repeat itself as it was totally unacceptable.
It's actually not my story. Sorry for the confusion. It's the story of the woman at the blog linked. I found it via boing boing. I'm sorry that your wife has to worry about what she might have to endure just to travel.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:15 am

TSA's official response is up at the TSA blog:

Originally Posted by TSA
We do our best to treat passengers with the dignity and respect they deserve, but in Lori Dorn’s case, it looks like we missed our mark. We sincerely regret and apologize for the experience Mrs. Dorn had at JFK. The Federal Security Director for JFK has personally reached out to learn more about what happened so he can help ensure that she and others will have better travel experiences in the future. While security is our primary mission, he apologized to Mrs. Dorn for not delivering the customer respect he wants all passengers flying through JFK to experience and offered to meet her the next time she flies through this airport.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/10/cancer-p...ng-at-jfk.html
As apologies go ... I'll give this one a 9 out of 10. (Of course, this should've never happened in the first place, but that's why the apology was needed.)
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
One thing I haven't seen mentioned...

Mrs. Dorn got this false positive after going through a backscatter machine. No way, no how should anyone with a history of cancer or this type of health issue be going anywhere near those accursed things.

Here's hoping someone sends her info on SDOO and opt-out, stat.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
One thing I haven't seen mentioned...

Mrs. Dorn got this false positive after going through a backscatter machine. No way, no how should anyone with a history of cancer or this type of health issue be going anywhere near those accursed things.

Here's hoping someone sends her info on SDOO and opt-out, stat.
Which brings up another important point. First, tissue expanders placed in anticipation of breast reconstruction surgery are placed beneath the skin. If the backscatter machine is physically capable of detecting them (subcutaneously), then there is enough x-ray energy and beam current to impart dose on the traveling public. And the energy is high enough to impart ionizing radiation dose to subcutaneous tissues, such as radiosensitive organs like lungs and kidneys, as has been discussed here many times.

From the medical perspective of a post-RT breast cancer patient, the incremental dose in the chest area) isn't of particular concern, but the effect of the Xray machine and the TSA's use of the images are of prime concern.

It is good that the TSA's callous and wanton disrespect of this person because they are using the wrong technology (and have lied about its capabilities in the past), has been brought to light, and they have apologized to this individual. It remains to be seen if the TSA as an agency can be rehabilitated.

Further reports on this here.

Further, in the article, the TSA still claims the "patdown" was appropriate, just not the way it was done.
A step in the right direction, to be sure, but we are a long ways from America, and one step won't get us back there.

From the comments from The Hill article, this one is quite apropos:
TSA has repeatedly promised more humane security since last November yet has continued to abuse millions of passengers. This is just one of the countless number of humiliations and assaults they have committed. Last month they removed a Toledo mother from a flight in Detroit in handcuffs, strip searched her and questioned her for six hours before realizing she was just a mother from from Toledo. This is an example of TSA compassion and what they have "learned" from their abuses.

TSA is a jobs program creating an illusion of airline security. After nearly a trillion dollars over eight years they can't cite one success. Meanwhile 60% of the freight in the cargo hold remains unscreened, half of that from foreign shippers.

Add to that the 52 TSA screeners arrested this year for serious crimes, including two last month, one for rape and the other for murder. Of these, nine have been for sex crimes involving children. They can’t prevent crime within their own ranks, but we’re supposed to trust this agency with airport security.

There is no excuse to harass and humiliate this woman simply for the "crime" of flying. The guards at Treblinka were just doing their job too and sadly even had those who excused their atrocities.

This is a clear failure in management and explains why so many abuses are occurring. Pistole and the senior staff of TSA have failed miserably in managing this agency and it must be abolished.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:22 am

I was somewhat taken aback by the statement in the TSA response that it would take A YEAR to train agents on dealing with prosthetic devices.

A YEAR???? You've been doing this for (almost) A YEAR, and you're just now STARTING to train agents on dealing with medical devices???
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ellie M
http://loridorn.me/post/10866768010/...curity-eclipse I didn't see this here yet. Just disgusting.
There are millions of cancer survivors. Just as there are many millions more people out there that survive the common cold (and quite a few that don’t), survive a broken bone (and quite a few that don’t), meningitis (and some who don’t). By now you are getting my drift, at least I hope so.

Why, as a society, are we so protective or irrational over cancer survivors and not the others? I survived another go-round with my teenager last night, and so did she. Why isn’t that making the news? Why are we not filling the local news casts with reports and interviews from the millions of other cancer survivors? Are they not just as important as the one in the story you cite?

I find the lack of a basic understanding of the laws that TSA operates under in this forum “disgusting”. And I would make a new and specific thread for it here, but I strongly suspect it would get bounced to OMNI in a New York second.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
I find the lack of a basic understanding of the laws that TSA operates under in this forum “disgusting”.
Of course, when most of us ask for clarification of those laws, and the procedures which emerge from those laws, we're told that we're not permitted to know that information. Checkmate.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

There are millions of cancer survivors. Just as there are many millions more people out there that survive the common cold (and quite a few that don’t), survive a broken bone (and quite a few that don’t), meningitis (and some who don’t). By now you are getting my drift, at least I hope so.
When you start feeling the chests of people who survived the common cold, for the reason that they had an illness, I'll find that disgusting to. It's not that TSA felt up the chest of a cancer survivor. It's that TSA is conducting embarrassing examinations of people who are "different" and in this case doing it in a way that was humiliating and without compassion. I'm sorry you seem to feel the treatment of anyone, cancer survivor or not, the way Ms. Dorn was treated is acceptable. Even the TSA on blog admitted it was not.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:00 pm

Your "drift" doesn't involve groping people with prosthetics who have committed no crime and have done nothing to raise any suspicion of wrongdoing.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why, as a society, are we so protective or irrational over cancer survivors and not the others? I survived another go-round with my teenager last night, and so did she. Why isn’t that making the news? Why are we not filling the local news casts with reports and interviews from the millions of other cancer survivors? Are they not just as important as the one in the story you cite?

I find the lack of a basic understanding of the laws that TSA operates under in this forum “disgusting”. And I would make a new and specific thread for it here, but I strongly suspect it would get bounced to OMNI in a New York second.
What laws are those that TSA operates under? I would like to read them, especially the part that says TSA can assault people without any reason.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ellie M
When you start feeling the chests of people who survived the common cold, for the reason that they had an illness, I'll find that disgusting to. It's not that TSA felt up the chest of a cancer survivor. It's that TSA is conducting embarrassing examinations of people who are "different" and in this case doing it in a way that was humiliating and without compassion. I'm sorry you seem to feel the treatment of anyone, cancer survivor or not, the way Ms. Dorn was treated is acceptable. Even the TSA on blog admitted it was not.
^^^^^^^
TSA has had HOW LONG (a year at the very least) to figure out a better way to handle (pardon the pun) these breast cancer survivors. Is TSA really this stupid? Perhaps it is as simple as they don't intend to change a thing.

How is that new Risk Based security working for you folks?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:25 pm

OK, there are millions of them. So why haven't you spent the time and resources in figuring out a way to screen them that doesn't humiliate them so intrusively?

Why, as a society, are we so protective or irrational over cancer survivors and not the others?
Yeah, I can't figure out why people get upset over some woman who had her breasts surgically removed and having to deal with the physical and psychological aspects of that-- I just can't figure out why folks get upset at us for digging around in her wounded area in plain sight of other passengers. But then, that's just me.

I find the lack of a basic understanding of the laws that TSA operates under in this forum “disgusting”.
People are not disgusted because TSA lacks laws. They are disgusted because TSA lacks common sense and decency.

Anyone who would seriously equate losing such a core part of their person with having a cold is a few cards shy of a deck.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:43 pm

I survived another go-round with my teenager last night, and so did she. Why isn’t that making the news?
I am finding it hard to believe that one would believe that having a squabble with a teenager is as important or life changing as a cancer diagnosis.

But this does clear up why it just might take a year to retrain agents to treat people with medical conditions with respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.