FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Can TSA officers carry guns on duty? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1394028-can-tsa-officers-carry-guns-duty.html)

cbn42 Oct 3, 2012 6:24 pm

Can TSA officers carry guns on duty?

I overheard a conversation at PHX where a TSO suggested that he carries a gun while on duty, although I didn't get the full context so I'm not positive.

Based on my research, Arizona is apparently one of the few states that allows anyone to carry a concealed weapon in public, without the need to apply for a permit from the sheriff like in other states. So with that said, is there anything stopping a TSA agent from carrying a concealed handgun while screening passengers?

ND Sol Oct 3, 2012 6:38 pm

You could ask TSO Alvin Crabtree at DEN. :D

cbn42 Oct 3, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm not referring to taking a gun past the checkpoint like Crabtree did. I'm talking about carrying a gun on one's person while working at the checkpoint.

coachrowsey Oct 3, 2012 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 19433140)
I'm not referring to taking a gun past the checkpoint like Crabtree did. I'm talking about carrying a gun on one's person while working at the checkpoint.

NO.

doctall41 Oct 3, 2012 7:35 pm

while working "at the checkpoint", they are "past the checkpoint".
they also take breaks airside.

Bearcat06 Oct 4, 2012 2:44 am

Nope....no way/no how...no matter what AZ State Statute might say.

TSO's are non-LEO positions and are not allowed to carry weapons.

If he walked into the sterile area with one on...he'd go to jail.

Houston.Business Oct 4, 2012 5:39 am

Let's look at this from another angle.
Why on earth would any of these people have the need to carry a weapon?

BTW - They're not Officers. They're Federal Employees. Do you call your Mailman Officer?

ND Sol Oct 4, 2012 7:14 am

Mr. Crabtree was going to work as a TSO when the gun was found.

Ari Oct 4, 2012 8:51 am

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 19432948)
I overheard a conversation at PHX where a TSO suggested that he carries a gun while on duty, although I didn't get the full context so I'm not positive.

You're sure it was a TSO, right?

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 19432948)
Based on my research, Arizona is apparently one of the few states that allows anyone to carry a concealed weapon in public, without the need to apply for a permit from the sheriff like in other states. So with that said, is there anything stopping a TSA agent from carrying a concealed handgun while screening passengers?

Yes, federal law. (Probably state law too).

cbn42 Oct 4, 2012 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 19436238)
You're sure it was a TSO, right?

Yes, federal law. (Probably state law too).

Can you cite the law?

From what I can see, Arizona's general gun laws allow anyone to carry a gun almost anywhere they want. Federal law bans guns in the secure area of the airport, but not outside. Therefore, TSA staff would be permitted to carry guns outside the secure area, unless there is a law specifically saying otherwise. So I am wondering if anyone knows what this law is.

Ari Oct 4, 2012 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Houston.Business (Post 19435308)
Let's look at this from another angle.
Why on earth would any of these people have the need to carry a weapon?

In the airport, or in general? In the airport, they have no need. Away from the airport, their 'need' is the same as that of others who feel the 'need' to carry, which is really identical to the 'need' for off-call, off-duty LEOs to carry.

I'd like the OP to return and confirm that it was a TSO.

Boggie Dog Oct 4, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm wondering if "TSO" was used instead of "TSA" employee. I know of a couple of groups within TSA that do carry. Federal Air Marshals, some Transportation Security Inspectors, and there may be others.

fishferbrains Oct 4, 2012 2:56 pm

Maybe we can have a thread titled: [Speculation] Top Ten reasons TSOs may need to carry guns. :D

Ari Oct 4, 2012 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 19438319)
I'm wondering if "TSO" was used instead of "TSA" employee. I know of a couple of groups within TSA that do carry. Federal Air Marshals, some Transportation Security Inspectors, and there may be others.

That's why I asked for clarification . . . clarification which hasn't come yet.

cbn42 Oct 4, 2012 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ari (Post 19437949)
I'd like the OP to return and confirm that it was a TSO.

Yes, it was a TSO. I'm talking about the people with the blue shirts that check your ID and watch the monitors as the bags go through the x-ray.