Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Diabetic Abused at PHX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.

I have been carrying insulin in Frio cooling packs for many years now when I travel, which is frequently. There has never been a problem with this until this week when the TSA decided the insulin pack of a 57 year old was a threat to aviation. I guess it is my fault for being diabetic and speaking with an accent.

I also made the inexcusable error of telling a TSO he could not remove my backpack from my sight. I guess I should have been reasonable and allow him access to my wallet, ID, credit cards, money, watch, boarding pass, Kindle etc which were in the bag as I was commanded not to have anything in my pockets for my radiation dose.

This resulted in half an hour of me having my groin chopped, my backpack and suitcase opened and everything slowly swabbed and tested for explosive residue while 5 TSO’s, including the checkpoint supervisor stood around smiling. As an added measure I was again made to remove my shoes and have them swabbed, exposing me to foot damage yet again (this is a no-no for us diabetics). They took my BP and ID to the supervisor and eventually gave it back to me and told me I could go.

An hour later my wife received a call from TSA on the home phone telling me to call them. “Ve haf your address!”, I guess.

As a result of the regulated, sanctioned abuse, I rushed for my fight and was unable to regulate my blood sugar for which I suffered. But then that is nothing as long as TSA got their kicks.

Yes – I have filed complaints but we all know what will happen to these.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt

Disgusting!
I'm a T1D as well and every time I read stories like this it makes me cringe. I'm lucky in so far that I haven't had any major disruptions to my travels due to my insulin or what have you.

Obama, Romney or whoever the hell wins this election: PLEASE GET RID OF THE TSA OR AT LEAST THE MANAGEMENT AND RE TRAIN THEM!
Believe it or not, polite and efficient airport security is possible.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Thegweni
I have been carrying insulin in Frio cooling packs for many years now when I travel, which is frequently. There has never been a problem with this until this week when the TSA decided the insulin pack of a 57 year old was a threat to aviation. I guess it is my fault for being diabetic and speaking with an accent.

I also made the inexcusable error of telling a TSO he could not remove my backpack from my sight. I guess I should have been reasonable and allow him access to my wallet, ID, credit cards, money, watch, boarding pass, Kindle etc which were in the bag as I was commanded not to have anything in my pockets for my radiation dose.

This resulted in half an hour of me having my groin chopped, my backpack and suitcase opened and everything slowly swabbed and tested for explosive residue while 5 TSO’s, including the checkpoint supervisor stood around smiling. As an added measure I was again made to remove my shoes and have them swabbed, exposing me to foot damage yet again (this is a no-no for us diabetics). They took my BP and ID to the supervisor and eventually gave it back to me and told me I could go.

An hour later my wife received a call from TSA on the home phone telling me to call them. “Ve haf your address!”, I guess.

As a result of the regulated, sanctioned abuse, I rushed for my fight and was unable to regulate my blood sugar for which I suffered. But then that is nothing as long as TSA got their kicks.

Make sure copies go to your Senators and Congressional Representative.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:19 pm

I have to ask you this question. What did your wife tell TSA when they called?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:26 pm

I am much more successful berating the screeners right then & there rather than waiting later to waste my time with a complaint form. And by the way use the voice record function on your cell phone.

My last encounter with Paul Rose & Kathy Larson at COS took over an hour because he was insistent that I could not photograph them in a public area.

Give no quarter, BDO Paul Rose was getting quite upset by the end of the encounter.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:58 pm

I have been carrying insulin in Frio cooling packs for many years now when I travel, which is frequently. There has never been a problem with this until this week when the TSA decided the insulin pack of a 57 year old was a threat to aviation. I guess it is my fault for being diabetic and speaking with an eaccent.

Go to www.oig.dhs/hotline/hotline

Fill out the form as Completely as possible and submit it online.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Originally Posted by erictank
Make sure copies go to your Senators and Congressional Representative.
I have tried getting these useless parasites involved in the past. No luck. Only one answered and then it was the form response - we support out country etc etc. It had no relevance to the letter. They are not interested in my vote.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
I am much more successful berating the screeners right then & there rather than waiting later to waste my time with a complaint form. And by the way use the voice record function on your cell phone.

My last encounter with Paul Rose & Kathy Larson at COS took over an hour because he was insistent that I could not photograph them in a public area.

Give no quarter, BDO Paul Rose was getting quite upset by the end of the encounter.
I have seen the likes of these two before and experienced their 'impeccable' customer service. Why do they all look like this? Of course I did not have access to my cell phone as it was in my suspicious backpack with my suspicious insulin. Convenient for TSA. I did voice my opinion there and then and got thoroughly abused for it. Will it stop me next time? Of course not!

Last edited by Thegweni; Sep 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanja
I have to ask you this question. What did your wife tell TSA when they called?
My wife is a MUCH nicer person than I. She treats idiots with respect. All she did was take a message and tell me not to get upset with the young girl who called as she is just doing her job. (My wife does not travel often, hence her high tolerance for the TSA.)

I called 4 days later, when I had the time. The young lady asked if I had appled for pre-check. Of course had. I told them never to contact me again unless they had my express permission to do so. I am afraid my wife's admonitions not to get upset were in vain.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I have tried copying these useless parasites involved in the past. No luck. Only one answered and then it was the form response - we support out country etc etc. It had no relevance to the letter. They are not interested in my vote.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:56 pm

My wife is a MUCH nicer person than I. She treats idiots with respect. All she did was take a message and tell me not to get upset with the young girl who called as she is just doing her job. (My wife does not travel often, hence her high tolerance for the TSA.)

I called 4 days later, when I had the time. The young lady asked if I had appled for pre-check. Of course had. I told them never to contact me again unless they had my express permission to do so. I am afraid my wife's admonitions not to get upset were in vain.
I am so sorry for what happen to you.
It is crazzy.
Dont know what I have done.

One thing for sure , I do think that is something loose in their brains.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.