FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Syndicated Columnist Diane Dimond: TSA an Ugly Blot on Freedom (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1392713-syndicated-columnist-diane-dimond-tsa-ugly-blot-freedom.html)

RatherBeOnATrain Sep 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Syndicated Columnist Diane Dimond: TSA an Ugly Blot on Freedom

Nationally syndicated columnist Diane Dimond (wikipedia) has written a column at TSA:

Albuquerque Journal:
TSA an Ugly Blot on Freedom

By Diane Dimond / Crime and Justice
Sat, Sep 29, 2012

The piece opens with:
A recent Gallup poll has just concluded that 54 percent of Americans think the Transportation Security Administration is doing an “excellent” or “good” job at our airports.

I don’t. I think the TSA is engaged in a nationwide effort to cavalierly and routinely strip travelers of their dignity. I think in some instances the system is decidedly un-American.

OrlandoFlyer Sep 30, 2012 6:04 am

So who’s in charge of this arm of government, and why can’t they make the TSA be more consumer friendly and budget conscious? Well, that would be the U.S. Congress, but so far the current TSA administrator, John Pistole, doesn’t appear inclined to listen to either Congress or the courts.

According to Joe Brancatelli, a travel writer with the Business Journals Digital Network who has been closely following the TSA saga and especially its failure to comply with a federal court’s order to review the policy on using full-body scanners, “Pistole repeatedly ignores congressional mandates and the law as well as those pesky federal court orders.”
This just about says it all in regards to the management, or lack thereof, on the TSA. Overall another good article on the TSA. Keep them coming!

bdschobel Sep 30, 2012 8:26 am

She is obviously critical of the TSA, but really not critical enough. She hates their attitude but seems to miss their ineffectiveness. TSA has never, ever caught a terrorist and never will. Doesn't that say it all?

Bruce

RatherBeOnATrain Oct 28, 2012 10:17 am

Rockland County Times: TSA’s Response to Diane Dimond’s Oct. 4 Op-Ed Piece

I neglected to post TSA's response to the column:

Rockland County Times:
TSA’s Response to Diane Dimond’s Oct. 4 Op-Ed Piece, by Lisa Farbstein

Posted October 18th, 2012

In her pathetic yet effective letter, Ms. Farbstein demonstrates that she does not know the definition of the word "Fact". Farbstein's letter generated some press coverage, including this CBS-Connecticut piece which demonstrates how effective the pathetic letter was:
CBS-Connecticut:
TSA Responds To Security Criticism By Telling People To Remember 9/11 Attacks

October 24, 2012 10:08 AM

It concludes with:
But for all of the complaints, most U.S. travelers have a positive opinion of the TSA.

According to a Gallup poll released in August, 54 percent of Americans think TSA is doing either an excellent or a good job of handling airport screening. Among Americans who have flown at least once in the past year, 57 percent have an excellent or good opinion of the agency, reported Forbes.

TSA employs 62,000 people and the annual $8.1 billion budget seems high to many critics who say the same work was done under for far less by private firms before Sept. 11, while under federal guidelines.