New TSA Web Site Design!

Old Sep 28, 12, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
New TSA Web Site Design!

Went to look up something and found the new design. Also found a bunch of unusable links.

TSA.gov

For example, check this page. Almost every link down the right side leads to a dead link.

Good job!
Old Sep 29, 12, 1:41 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post
Went to look up something and found the new design. Also found a bunch of unusable links.

TSA.gov

For example, check this page. Almost every link down the right side leads to a dead link.

Good job!
Bolding mine: Maybe what all the TSO's have been saying all along about the website being out of date is true?

Or it's just our hard earned tax dollars being well spent-you know like the puffer machines and other assorted skew'rity toys that cost a boatload of money but never worked right in the first place and thus should never have been purchased
Old Sep 29, 12, 5:43 am

Typical TSA/DHS incompetence.
Old Sep 29, 12, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails View Post

TSA.gov

Good job!
Looks like TSA has decided to take 'unpredictability' and 'the rules are whatever we say they are' to a whole new level!

I wish the news (ABC?) would do a short piece on this: say they had a question about a particular item, went to the website to find out if it was allowed ...then demo on-screen what they found. Follow up with a call to TSA HQ spokesperson that was not returned....

And (some) frontline TSOs have the nerve to berate and criticize infrequent and first time pax for not researching the website and understanding the 'rules' before they go... sheesh.
Old Sep 29, 12, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just one big sales pitch designed to make the Sheeple believe that the TSA is God's gift to national security. They even have a tear-jerker 9/11 page.

In the box marked "Can I bring..." I typed in "Constitution" and the answer I got was "Item Not Found"....
Old Sep 29, 12, 8:07 am

I find it interesting that TSA claims not to have the manpower, resources, or time to undertake a public comment period mandated by the APA, and further demanded by a Court.

And yet, they have managed to put together a completely new website, from scratch, in the same time period. I have been part of a team that put together a completely new, from scratch website. Let me tell you, it is no small undertaking.

Interesting. Maybe someone should FOIA the decision matrix behind putting this spanky new website together, as well as the manhours and budget involved.
Old Sep 29, 12, 12:16 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
What an absolute amateur attempt at a website.

The website does not work properly on the new iPad. Clearly no cross platform testing has been completed.

Last edited by OttawaMark; Sep 29, 12 at 12:21 pm
Old Sep 29, 12, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Gotta wonder if Accessibility guidelines were also ignored before they went live.
Old Sep 29, 12, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
So....what happened the old website? Did they make a new website? But, I like old one.
Old Sep 30, 12, 9:08 am

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
It looks like if you change "edit" to "www" in the urls, it stops looking for what I suspect is an internal-only server and instead gives the desired result.
Old Sep 30, 12, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
It's just one big sales pitch designed to make the Sheeple believe that the TSA is God's gift to national security. They even have a tear-jerker 9/11 page.
Like this one? http://www.regretsy.com/2012/09/11/3...all-911-posts/
Old Sep 30, 12, 11:10 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by barbell View Post
I find it interesting that TSA claims not to have the manpower, resources, or time to undertake a public comment period mandated by the APA, and further demanded by a Court.

And yet, they have managed to put together a completely new website, from scratch, in the same time period. I have been part of a team that put together a completely new, from scratch website. Let me tell you, it is no small undertaking.

Interesting. Maybe someone should FOIA the decision matrix behind putting this spanky new website together, as well as the manhours and budget involved.
Well, putting up a website with just a few (relatively) pages, and no working links is not so hard - my 11th grade IT students could do that one month into the class.

Clearly they were not busy doing the website - makes you wonder what else they are up to?

DanishFlyer
Old Oct 1, 12, 1:14 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
In the box marked "Can I bring..." I typed in "Constitution" and the answer I got was "Item Not Found"....
I tried "TSA" and it came back with "Lightsaber" and said ok.
Trying "TSO" gets "Item not found".
Old Oct 1, 12, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer View Post
Well, putting up a website with just a few (relatively) pages, and no working links is not so hard ...
Good point. As Flies points out, they obviously spent a lot of time fetishising NINE ELEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess that's worth something. I guess. To TSA employees who would otherwise be unemployable.

Honestly, this looks more like an intranet telling TSA employees how awesome TSA is. It is mostly useless to Americans and other decent people.

Originally Posted by Himeno View Post
I tried "TSA" and it came back with "Lightsaber" and said ok.
Trying "TSO" gets "Item not found".
Can I take my dignity through?

"Item not found"
Old Oct 1, 12, 2:27 pm

I typed in "NEXUS card," item not found.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: