FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   New TSA Web Site Design! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1392478-new-tsa-web-site-design.html)

InkUnderNails Sep 28, 2012 9:21 pm

New TSA Web Site Design!

Went to look up something and found the new design. Also found a bunch of unusable links.

TSA.gov

For example, check this page. Almost every link down the right side leads to a dead link.

Good job!

goalie Sep 29, 2012 12:41 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 19404892)
Went to look up something and found the new design. Also found a bunch of unusable links.

TSA.gov

For example, check this page. Almost every link down the right side leads to a dead link.

Good job!

Bolding mine: Maybe what all the TSO's have been saying all along about the website being out of date is true? ;)

Or it's just our hard earned tax dollars being well spent-you know like the puffer machines and other assorted skew'rity toys that cost a boatload of money but never worked right in the first place and thus should never have been purchased ;)

bluenotesro Sep 29, 2012 4:43 am

Typical TSA/DHS incompetence.

chollie Sep 29, 2012 5:10 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 19404892)

TSA.gov

Good job!

Looks like TSA has decided to take 'unpredictability' and 'the rules are whatever we say they are' to a whole new level!

I wish the news (ABC?) would do a short piece on this: say they had a question about a particular item, went to the website to find out if it was allowed ...then demo on-screen what they found. Follow up with a call to TSA HQ spokesperson that was not returned....

And (some) frontline TSOs have the nerve to berate and criticize infrequent and first time pax for not researching the website and understanding the 'rules' before they go... sheesh. :td:

FliesWay2Much Sep 29, 2012 6:53 am

It's just one big sales pitch designed to make the Sheeple believe that the TSA is God's gift to national security. They even have a tear-jerker 9/11 page.

In the box marked "Can I bring..." I typed in "Constitution" and the answer I got was "Item Not Found"....

barbell Sep 29, 2012 7:07 am

I find it interesting that TSA claims not to have the manpower, resources, or time to undertake a public comment period mandated by the APA, and further demanded by a Court.

And yet, they have managed to put together a completely new website, from scratch, in the same time period. I have been part of a team that put together a completely new, from scratch website. Let me tell you, it is no small undertaking.

Interesting. Maybe someone should FOIA the decision matrix behind putting this spanky new website together, as well as the manhours and budget involved.

OttawaMark Sep 29, 2012 11:16 am

What an absolute amateur attempt at a website.

The website does not work properly on the new iPad. Clearly no cross platform testing has been completed.

TheRoadie Sep 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Gotta wonder if Accessibility guidelines were also ignored before they went live.

N830MH Sep 29, 2012 4:53 pm

So....what happened the old website? Did they make a new website? But, I like old one.

marklyon Sep 30, 2012 8:08 am

It looks like if you change "edit" to "www" in the urls, it stops looking for what I suspect is an internal-only server and instead gives the desired result.

loops Sep 30, 2012 11:14 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 19406187)
It's just one big sales pitch designed to make the Sheeple believe that the TSA is God's gift to national security. They even have a tear-jerker 9/11 page.

Like this one? http://www.regretsy.com/2012/09/11/3...all-911-posts/

DanishFlyer Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by barbell (Post 19406229)
I find it interesting that TSA claims not to have the manpower, resources, or time to undertake a public comment period mandated by the APA, and further demanded by a Court.

And yet, they have managed to put together a completely new website, from scratch, in the same time period. I have been part of a team that put together a completely new, from scratch website. Let me tell you, it is no small undertaking.

Interesting. Maybe someone should FOIA the decision matrix behind putting this spanky new website together, as well as the manhours and budget involved.

Well, putting up a website with just a few (relatively) pages, and no working links is not so hard - my 11th grade IT students could do that one month into the class.

Clearly they were not busy doing the website - makes you wonder what else they are up to?

DanishFlyer

Himeno Oct 1, 2012 12:14 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 19406187)
In the box marked "Can I bring..." I typed in "Constitution" and the answer I got was "Item Not Found"....

I tried "TSA" and it came back with "Lightsaber" and said ok.
Trying "TSO" gets "Item not found".

barbell Oct 1, 2012 6:12 am

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer (Post 19414348)
Well, putting up a website with just a few (relatively) pages, and no working links is not so hard ...

Good point. As Flies points out, they obviously spent a lot of time fetishising NINE ELEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess that's worth something. I guess. To TSA employees who would otherwise be unemployable.

Honestly, this looks more like an intranet telling TSA employees how awesome TSA is. It is mostly useless to Americans and other decent people.

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 19414608)
I tried "TSA" and it came back with "Lightsaber" and said ok.
Trying "TSO" gets "Item not found".

Can I take my dignity through?

"Item not found"

Ysitincoach Oct 1, 2012 1:27 pm

I typed in "NEXUS card," item not found.